• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about.22lr competition build

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with either a Benchmark or Krieger barrel in a .22 configuration? I have no experience with either in a .22lr. I have a Benchmark for my 6.5 and I find it outstanding but this doesn’t mean that their .22lr would be equally as good.
Hoping for some feedback from those with experience with either of these barrels in a .22 configuration.

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with either a Benchmark or Krieger barrel in a .22 configuration? I have no experience with either in a .22lr. I have a Benchmark for my 6.5 and I find it outstanding but this doesn’t mean that their .22lr would be equally as good.
Hoping for some feedback from those with experience with either of these barrels in a .22 configuration.

@padom this is our Rim Fire test guy I think he's shot just about every brand barrel there is.

I can answer it. I have both. The Benchmark is a 16.5 twist and started at 26” with an EC Tuner from TS Custom. While it shot great the MV was just way too slow for me during the winter. I sent it in to have it chopped to 20”. It still shot great despite not being slugged before it was cut. I later had a Kreiger spun up for my rifle by Modacam. It also hammered. With that said, you’ll see way more Krieger barrels than Benchmark on rimfires. This isn’t new info to anyone but regardless of what blank you use and who chambers it for you, you have to lot test.

Reactions: LR1845
I can answer it. I have both. The Benchmark is a 16.5 twist and started at 26” with an EC Tuner from TS Custom. While it shot great the MV was just way too slow for me during the winter. I sent it in to have it chopped to 20”. It still shot great despite not being slugged before it was cut. I later had a Kreiger spun up for my rifle by Modacam. It also hammered. With that said, you’ll see way more Krieger barrels than Benchmark on rimfires. This isn’t new info to anyone but regardless of what blank you use and who chambers it for you, you have to lot test.
I had a 20" Benchmark on a CZ 455 like yours shot great but was slow compared to others, I sold the gun and bought a Vudoo with a 20" ace it shot great, sold it and bought a V-360 with a 22" Bartlein and this barrel is an absolute hammer with 3 different ammos. Right now I have a V-360 and a 1.25" straight Krieger at MCR and cant wait to get this one back.

I've also had a CZ 455 in the Manners stock with a factory 24" barrel that was an outstanding shooter. also 2 Kidd's, one I sold a few years ago and just bought another for steel challenge and both shoot/shot great.

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but here's a pic of my Rim-X with a Proof 24 inch Comp contour in my Matrix Pro. It balances well with a couple internal weights and 2 steel Gray Ops external weights. I'm going to pick up the MPA buttstock weight reduction kit and see if I can pull out some weight from the front. The Matrix Pro 2 chassis should balance easier.

Rim-X_01.jpeg

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but here's a pic of my Rim-X with a Proof 24 inch Comp contour in my Matrix Pro. It balances well with a couple internal weights and 2 steel Gray Ops external weights. I'm going to pick up the MPA buttstock weight reduction kit and see if I can pull out some weight from the front. The Matrix Pro 2 chassis should balance easier.

View attachment 8373133

And that's with a boat anchor of a scope! With the tuner I'm guessing you're at about 7lbs for the barrel which isn't too far off in weight from a 24in 1.20 straight. Great looking setup and good info.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevieb92

View attachment 8373133
what a beauty! Very nice.

Reactions: stevieb92
Matrix Pro II with Vudoo 360 right bolt left port and a 25”x 1.25” straight shank 13 twist Mullerworks with tuner, showing balance point, note without a bipod yet.
40 moa rail and a 20.6 moa base, 33.8 mils of vertical adjustment and then onto holdovers.View attachment 8373587
Built by DI Precision

JH
osoh

Standard weight butt right? Not the light weight comp?

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
I have one on order with the comp rear end so will be interesting to see how that does with my 24” 1.2” barrel. They also drill out some of the aluminum as well as the lighter cheek and bag rider. I have two Matrix Pro now in standard config so I think the little less weight in the back will help some.

I have one on order with the comp rear end so will be interesting to see how that does with my 24” 1.2” barrel. They also drill out some of the aluminum as well as the lighter cheek and bag rider. I have two Matrix Pro now in standard config so I think the little less weight in the back will help some.
Your correct I forgot about the milling of more material out in spots in the back.

JH
osoh

I’m almost guessing if I put the Accu-Tac Bi-pod on I could easily move the balance point forward 2”
What a great Chassis system period. MPA Matrix Pro II No extra weights to mess with

JH
osoh

I’m looking at muzzle thread options.
1/2 28 or 3/4 24.

I was told that 3/4 24 is the safer way to go to avoid any possible belling at the crown. Apparently it’s not something you can see with the naked eye but it can happen as when material is removed the remaining material can slightly move to accommodate its new shape or form. So I guess in theory the less you remove the less likely you are to have issues?

Have any of you had any issues with different thread diameters and pitch? What do you guys go with?

Personally I would avoid threads all together on a comp rifle unless you plan on using a tuner or shooting suppressed. I’ve been there done that and prefer just a target crown.

I’m looking at muzzle thread options.
1/2 28 or 3/4 24.

I was told that 3/4 24 is the safer way to go to avoid any possible belling at the crown. Apparently it’s not something you can see with the naked eye but it can happen as when material is removed the remaining material can slightly move to accommodate its new shape or form. So I guess in theory the less you remove the less likely you are to have issues?

Have any of you had any issues with different thread diameters and pitch? What do you guys go with?

What you putting on the end? I ran a 1/2-28 threaded Kukri for years and then went to a 5/8-24 threaded MTU for a tuner I had. My present 1.2 has a EC V2 tuner and threaded for that. If you don’t plan to put something on it then no need to thread but I would go 5/8-24 if you were.

Reactions: Matagorda308
What you putting on the end? I ran a 1/2-28 threaded Kukri for years and then went to a 5/8-24 threaded MTU for a tuner I had. My present 1.2 has a EC V2 tuner and threaded for that. If you don’t plan to put something on it then no need to thread but I would go 5/8-24 if you were.
I’m just trying to plan ahead. I’d like to try a tuner at some point and if I ever move back to the states then I could use a suppressor again. I just figure might as well have the smith do it all from the start.

Then I would get it threaded in whatever thread your suppressor would be in which is most likely 1/2-28 with a .22.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
I also has Jonathan at Modacam spin me up a 1.25" straight Krieger/Rimx that absolutely shoots lights out. (Jonathan's proprietary chamber.) Can't recommend his work enough!

Does him chamber work on both Lapua and Eley?
That's an interesting combo. I think you would get pretty lucky if it liked both brands.

I had Manson grind me up a Nevius reamer that was designed by Kevin Nevius for Lapua/SK. It's reputation is well-earned, it shoots bug holes with SKLRM or Center X. It's easy mode.

And following a tidbit that was dropped by another poster, I picked up some Eley Contact at $5 a box to test as an inexpensive practice ammo, and it shoots amazing! So I bought a ton of it.

But it doesn't shoot quality Eley match ammo that I could find. No idea why it likes Contact, but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. I bought 5000 rounds of it for $500 🤣

I shot Eley Semi Auto Benchrest (round nose) through my MCR Krieger not telling him what I was using. Once I found the right lot I used it for matches. Killough’s sells 50rd boxes by lot numbers so it’s easier to test.

Reactions: MLS2GO
The only way I do much different is if it’s for sure an Eley only chamber. Most people don’t want to be tied down to that though. I ask for that purpose and to know what is best pertinent to test with on the particular rifle.

If you see a 22LR-B after the logo engraving that is the designation for my newest bored reamerless chamber. I’ve tested it for a long time and went into production last quarter of ‘23. There are different dimensions depending on the barrel and purpose.

If done properly typically good ammo will shoot whether Lapua, Eley, or RWS. I have people using all of those. This was a fun one where the customer sent in a bunch of different kinds of ammo to see if anything he had would shoot in it. I think he’s mainly shooting R50 and Eley Team in it now.

IMG_7181.jpeg

I have 2 @jelrod1 Built rifles now. I is a RimX in a Foundation Stock, 23.5" 1.25" Krieger 16t barrel and Gen1 EC Tuner. It hammers with Eley, RWS R50, Norma Match and SK/ Lapua. Buy a case and adjust the tune. You are good to go till next case is needed.

2nd Rifle is a Remington 40X Conversion with a Mullerworks 16T 24" 1-1/8" Barrel. It will shoot all ammo's as well. It is just a finished crown no tuner. I have 5 different lots of ammo and at 50y it is all 1/2" groups or better for 10 rounds. As of today it has 400 rounds down the barrel and the numbers seem to be settling down. It was had lapped by Paul Tolvastod prior to MCR spinning it up.

Pictures of rifles at balance points. no weights are used in any stock. The 40X in the Manners does need a bipod up front to balance out properly. I can swap stocks with it and it is not needed.

Johnathan & Modacam Custom Rifles have another RimX on the bench for me to do this year. it is getting a 13T Mullerworks and Gen1 EC Tuner.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpeg
    IMG_0611.jpeg
    616.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    748.8 KB · Views: 50
The only way I do much different is if it’s for sure an Eley only chamber. Most people don’t want to be tied down to that though. I ask for that purpose and to know what is best pertinent to test with on the particular rifle.

If you see a 22LR-B after the logo engraving that is the designation for my newest bored reamerless chamber. I’ve tested it for a long time and went into production last quarter of ‘23. There are different dimensions depending on the barrel and purpose.

If done properly typically good ammo will shoot whether Lapua, Eley, or RWS. I have people using all of those. This was a fun one where the customer sent in a bunch of different kinds of ammo to see if anything he had would shoot in it. I think he’s mainly shooting R50 and Eley Team in it now.

View attachment 8377158
Jelrod1 I have a shilen select match barrel that was chambered by Adam Wackel when he was running Wacked up precision. He was using a boring bar and cnc. It is one of my best shooting rifles. Glad you are intrducing it. Very clean chamber.

So I’m going with a Gray Ops 34mm scope mount at 1.125 high for my Kahles K 525i DLR.

What are your opinions on the height and is a 30 moa base the standard go to in this case?

Also can I use any rem 700 rail or is there a preferred one to go with?

So I’m going with a Gray Ops 34mm scope mount at 1.125 high for my Kahles K 525i DLR.

What are your opinions on the height and is a 30 moa base the standard go to in this case?

Also can I use any rem 700 rail or is there a preferred one to go with?

It’s ok. I got impatient and called Vudoo and found out that for the V22 I have to use their rail

Last edited:
It’s ok. I got impatient and called Vudoo and found out that I for tue V22 I have to use their rail

My bad, I missed your post but I've seen that question asked and as you said, you have to use the Vudoo rail.

I went with their 40 MOA to allow for a little more distance but still zeros at 50 just fine. I have 32 mils of adjustment and I think the K 525i DLR has 29 which should be plenty for the 40 MOA rail.

My bad, I missed your post but I've seen that question asked and as you said, you have to use the Vudoo rail.

I went with their 40 MOA to allow for a little more distance but still zeros at 50 just fine. I have 32 mils of adjustment and I think the K 525i DLR has 29 which should be plenty for the 40 MOA rail.
All good. Thanks Mark. The 40 was also what they suggested.

A big thanks to everyone who replied and offered advice and help in this thread. I have everything sorted now and this is the final spec list for the build……

MDT ACC Elite Titanium Blue
Benchmark 3 groove 22” MTU barrel
Vudoo V22 Gen 3 action 2 lug
Vudoo pic rail 40 moa
Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage trigger
MDT CKYE Pod PRS single pull
Kahles K525i optic w/left windage
Gray Ops one piece scope mount
MDT Send It Level
Gray Ops Send It Level adapter
MDT weight kit
MDT rubber dampener kit for stock

I’m thinking of doing a grey cerakote on the barrel and action. Might look nice with the blue chassis.

It’s going to be a while until everything arrives but when it’s built I’ll post some pics.