• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 22LR Scope Recommendations

Riggs

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2013
My local club does a semi regular 22LR "precision match" with 1 and 2 Inch steel knockdown targets placed at 100 yards. I'm in the process of building a rifle starting with a JP22LR barrel. My question is, what's a good scope for this platform? I'm looking for at least 15x magnification, and although I want to be on the cheaper end of what I would put on a true long distance rifle, I would still like decent turret design with consistent tracking. For reference this gun will almost always be used at 100 yards, and on rare occasions taken out to 200.

Really appreciate the input.

I'm looking for something under $500, with no issues buying used if that's where the best options are

what ever you get or spend your money one make sure you will be able to see a tiny tiny hole on paper if that is what you are shooting even on steel they are hard to see cause its just that small . shoot and sees help but they cost a lot more than 1000 1'' at circle lables on amazon was 14.99 pair that up with 1000 2'' circle lables 14.99 and some 3'' ers for another 14.99 each sometimes they have specials like the one I got buy one get on I picked up 3 and got 3 of each .

I had a SWFA SS 10X on my JP barreled AR. It worked pretty well at 50 yards. I’ve replaced it with a USO LR-17 but have yet to sight it in and try it out. Since trying SK S+ in my Vudoo, and getting amazing results, I haven’t shot it since lol. For what it’s worth, the JP barrel is a good shooter. Here are some 50 yard 10 shot groups with CCI SV and the SWFA SS scope. I’d bet money it will do better with better ammo.

Attachments

• 2EFE834F-F811-4DB3-9F6E-1EA5CAA8A24B.jpeg
    2EFE834F-F811-4DB3-9F6E-1EA5CAA8A24B.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 400FDD0B-2F52-4D36-9B30-B86996346A06.jpeg
    400FDD0B-2F52-4D36-9B30-B86996346A06.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 40
If you plan to shoot any NRL22 matches make sure you get something with parallax down to 25 yards.

Reactions: fili.herrera
My current optic on my NRL22 fun is a Bushnell Forge 3-18x50 that I picked up on sale and I've been quite pleased with it. Good optical performance for the price point, locking turrets, enough elevation on a 25MOA base for the long stages, usable reticle. I'll probably use this one for a while.

Similar to other discussions on the subject where budget dictates a lot (I mean unlimited $ we'd all run super fancy glass!). That said, I run a midas tac and have no complaints but the diamond back and strike eagle are also popular at my local club on the more budget friendly side.

As mentioned above, parallax makes a big difference - not adjusting it out between 25 and 100 yard shots can make a miss. Personally I like mil as it's simple for rimfire, 50 yard zero is about 1 mil and 2 mil holds at 75 and 100 yards, respectively but just personal preference.

SWFA if you’re keeping the budget tight and / or don’t need variable power (it’s overrated on a target rifle, especially at only a handful of known distances). They’re available in 12x (my pick for optical quality) and 16x versions that bracket your desired 15. They’re ~$250 when they’re on sale, which happens about every other month.

Gotta spend about double that before you get improved performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halfnutz
I would look at the Vortex and Athlon scopes in your price range. They should focus down below 50yds. Also decide how critical the turrets / zero stop is. Personally I prefer to hold over during a match and not spend time spinning dials. So, for me, I want a reticle that makes hold overs easy. For instance check out the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 which is in your price range. The high power may not be needed during a match, I often stay in the 10 to 14 range but its good when shooting groups.

Reactions: Riggs
Athlon Argos would fit your price profile but there are many options out there that will fit the bill.

Argos and good rings would be well below budget, and with the exception of a true zero stop, would be a good candidate.

I have the first Gen Argos and it has been pretty good. Not as clear of glass but usable. A couple things that I have found shooting NRL22 is you need a good usable Christmas tree reticle as most of the par times are 1.5min and the targets are at multiple distances. Sometimes dialing is not an option. Another feature that is nice is a good zero stop just to get you back to point A after running the dials. As others have said their are a lot of options and a few features that can make life easier at the match.

Checkout cameralandny.com and speak with Doug. They have great package deals for scopes + mounts for a lot of brand names mentioned above.
Can't go wrong giving those guys a call.

Reactions: MPrimo
I really like my swfa 3-15 on my 22 lr ,

This is my standard rimfire recommendation. If I never had to shoot any closer than 100 yards, then I might be open to looking at other options (one of the major selling points of the SWFA 3-15x is the parallax/focus adjustment down to 6m).

Reactions: Mjt700p
Pride Fowler makes very nice FFP scopes with a 22lr ballistic reticle worth a look at. I have two and like them a lot. I use them on my CZ 453 and Kimber ProVarmint in 22lr.

Find as lightly used Leupold 6.5x20 EFR. Silhouette shooters love using them due to the ability to focus down to the 25 yard line and have enough magnification for 100+ yards. The metallic silhouette forums usually has one or two in their PX.

Reactions: Halfnutz
If you plan on shooting NRL22 in the future make sure you don't go over the MSRP limits for rifle and scope which is $1050.00. I took a chance on the new Cabela's Covenant 7 scope. It is FFP 5x35x56 with parallax down to 25 yds. and zero stop. Glass is good and turrets are decent and repeatable with Mil or MOA. I'm happy with it. Just another option.

Reactions: AllAheadFull
Some of the Meopta MeoPro's are under $500 on cameralandny.com and they're a lot of scope for the money IMO. I'm loving the clarity on my 3.5x10x44.

To clarify, the price limits are for base class. You can spend as much as you want in rifle and glass, you'll just be shooting open class once you cross the dollar line.

One I haven’t seen mentioned is Hawke optics. The sidewinder is actually pretty nice. I prefer it over the vortex diamond back tactical. I’d say the glass is up there with the Athlon Midas Tac. For quick ranging with 22lr the oversized parallax wheel is pretty handy as well.

I've got a Gen 1 Athlon Argos BTR that I got for a deal from Doug. Fantastic scope for the price, good glass, good turrets, has a "improvised" zero stop (remove the turret, removed o-ring, place some included plastic washers inside as close to the bottom of the o-ring as possible, re-install o-ring, place turret back on at 0 reading, zero stop set. It's my first NRL22 rifle setup but for the price I love it. Have also heard nothing but good things about the Midas, seems like anything you go with from Athlon will do well for ya.

Any thoughts on the Vortex Diamondback 6-24? Or how it compares to the Athalon Midas Tac?

The VD has a $499 MSRP vs the $755 MSRP for the 6-24 Midas TAC. I think the VD compares best to the G1 Argos BTR but I'd put the G2 Argos BTR ahead of it because of the turrets and zero stop.

The new Strike Eagle 5-25 has a few more features than the Midas TAC 6-24 has.

The MT is one of those scopes that turned out extremely well, everything about it is above its price point.

Reactions: drewthebrave
Tbh, a budget of $200 is enough to get a scope for your 22LR rifle for plinking, squirrel hunting and for target shooting. Personally, I prefer Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. Though I see you need a mag of at least 15x, so SWFA is the best bet.

Please read the guide on the best scopes for 22LR for more info.

Last edited: