• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

24 inch 300 wm

sbwash

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Question? I am having a 300 wm built on an defiance action with an obermyer m40+ barrel. It will be a heavy rifle but I would rather have the barrel length at 24 inches rather than 26. I will sometimes run a 300 wm rated suppressor and sometimes just the a brake. with the suppressor the oal will be somewhat excessive thus the desire for a slightly shorter barrel. Decrease in accuracy is my primary concern. I rarely take shots over 800 yards so the potential decrease in mv is not as concerning for me.

Re: 24 inch 300 wm

What's the question?

Accuracy should NOT be hampered by a slightly shorter barrel and your MV really won't be all that badly decreased for the purposes you've stated you'll be using the rifle...even if you'd go down to 22" I think you'll be fine as long as your suppressor (depending on the make/model) is rated for use on the shorter tubes. Some mfgs have a minimum barrel recommendation (like 24" or 26" or etc.).

I had mine built with a 24 " barrel. I would like to go shorter with it. Your accuracy will not degrade with a shorter barrel. As for MV, I don't load my rounds to get the most speed I can get out of a particular caliber, I let the BC of a bullet do its job. Don't waste your time and money chasing MV speed and pressure. Just my .02

Both of mine have Obermeyer AMU+ contour barrels, one is 25 lug-to-bore, the other is 26. Both are deep-fluted to reduce that weight some.

Shorter will not affect accuracy, if the barrel is accurate at 28 it should be accurate at 24 (or 22).

Just expect more muzzle blast, and velocity reduced some. Likely around 30 fps per inch.

Good recommendation above about checking with your can manufacturer about it.

As long as the sup is rated for shorter barrels you should be A OK. If you aren't planning on shooting at the longer distances (you mentioned 800 being the limit), a 24" barrel will be more than sufficiant and accuracy shouldn't be of any concern, IMO. You'll lose roughly 25-30 FPS, but that really isn't going to move the needle in terms of where you're hitting the target if you do your job on the trigger end.

thanks everyone for the advice. I feel very comfortable with the 24 inch choice now.