• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 Win in a Remington 700 VLS - Questions

ponchair

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I have done some searching and still not sure of what bullet would fit my needs. I am wanting something to reach at least 800 yards accurately. I have read that the 105 AMAX works, but I am afraid that the 9 1/8 twist the VLS has will not work. I am reading a lot of good things about the 87gr VMAX. What do you guys think would be the best bullet for my twist for long range engagements? I realize every gun has a favorite load etc, but I am looking for a starting point.

Re: .243 Win in a Remington 700 VLS - Questions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ponchair</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done some searching and still not sure of what bullet would fit my needs. I am wanting something to reach at least 800 yards accurately. I have read that the 105 AMAX works, but I am afraid that the 9 1/8 twist the VLS has will not work. I am reading a lot of good things about the 87gr VMAX. What do you guys think would be the best bullet for my twist for long range engagements? I realize every gun has a favorite load etc, but I am looking for a starting point.
</div></div>

If the "9-1/8 twist" barrel is on the faster twist side of the mfg tolerance and you drive them fast enough, 105AMAX's might work.

I'm shooting the 105 A-max in a 1-10" twist with no problem. The only way you will know if it will work for you is to give them a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of 700 is the VLS? </div></div>

As far as type, its a heavy barrel, hope thats what you are asking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Batt61</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm shooting the 105 A-max in a 1-10" twist with no problem. The only way you will know if it will work for you is to give them a try. </div></div>

Are you seeing good results with the 105's?

Good results out to 600 yards so for. Have also had good luck with the 95gr SMK. I am using H1000 for both loads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Batt61</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good results out to 600 yards so for. Have also had good luck with the 95gr SMK. I am using H1000 for both loads </div></div>

I really appreciate the info.

Batt61:
If you're having luck with 1:10 twist with 95' and 105's, then my problem with same twist with 90's must be in the load. I expect .500" or less with my Mod. 70, and I didn't get that on the first test loading. What vel. are you getting with the 95's?