• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25-06 vs 6.5 Creedboys

• Thread starter Deleted member 10043
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10043

Lol, so yeah I put a 7 twist 25-06 with the 131 through it paces for 1200 rounds and as advertised it did breath new life into the old cartridge but it is really designed for the newer short action brass out there including the .25 Creedboys. The guys at Blackjack took the 25-06 factory ammo from light bullets up to 115 grain with 7.5 twist with good accuracy and no bullet failures. Before all this I was competing with the Speer 120 SPBT with the standard 10 twist. Accuracy was good at .4 moa. So, with all this in mind I went with 9 twist this time around and that Speer bullet is even better. Something to be said about badass overbore and accuracy. Anyway, love this video of comparing apples to oranges with a little bit of good cartridge development history.

FYI:. I asked Speer why they went from G1 .435 to .48 and they replied they used Doppler to update the current advertised G1 and I have to say they are damn close downrange. That and they lengthened the bullet a little past the old 1".

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing against 25-06, it's earned it's place. But Ron Spomer and his comparison videos are laughable at best.

It's a very underrated round and you can go AI, if you want more balls.

There are different cartridges for different people. 90% of all shooting situations would be served by a good quality 308 shooting good ammo topped by a good scope.

People get butt hurt when someone trashes their favorite cartridge.

I have never met a truly bad cartridge, that was so bad that it make me want to throw it to the curb.

There are things I don't like about certain cartridges 7.82 Warbird destroyed a barrel in 400 rounds, so maybe it isn't a 1000 yard benchrest cartridge.

But Ron and this gentleman here : and other so called experts are going to give their opinion. Doesn't mean you have to agree or waste any time worrying about it.

Randy Selby is a gunsmith, his fanboy cartridge is the 300 Weatherby. He has spent a lot of time trashing cartridge development by Hornady and others. To me this is kind of shitting where you eat, but I am not a gunsmith.

If you want a pink stock with bubble gum swirls and sprinkles let's build you what you want. If you want it chambered in 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, 25-06 or GASP! "6.5 Creedmoor", I'd chamber it. As I reckon that they are in the customer service industry and you want to be known as the guy that delivers.

You sell a product, if someone wants it you build it. They pay and you deliver.

I am not a gunsmith, but that is how I handle my own business and that is what I want when I deal with a gunsmith. That is the way my gunsmith operates and that is how it should be.

As long as it is safe, build it. Why be a little bitch and whinge about a caliber you don't like. It is bad for business.

Even gun writers shouldn't shit slam a new cartridge, they are in the business of selling themselves to the public and to the firearms manufacturers. Just bad economic sense.

Everybody likes what they like and from their perspective they are correct. Mr Shelby is correct when addressing performance from a hunting rifle set up in his manner, however if you take a tactical style rifle fed from standard length magazines the dynamic changes…. The 25-06 is fine but historically suffers from low bc bullets. The 6.5 chamberings are nothing special other than the long history of high bc bullet availability. If I compare a 6.5-06 to the 25-06 in the same style rifle the 6.5 wins again. In my opinion comparing long action cartridges to short action cartridges is too much apples vs oranges if we are talking performance. Comparing a long action hunting rifle to a magazine length limited short action is a waste of time.

Reactions: BLEE
Did I just stumble into the Field & Stream FB page?

When I'm bored, I enjoy reading the Fuddtastic comment section. It's good for a chuckle, but also sad to know most gun owners can't shoot, nor understand ballistics.

So your barrel lasted 1200 rounds or you stopped testing at 1200? How much had the throat eroded?
A bunch. The 131 Ace has to go fast at high rpm and the 25-06 overbore wreaked havac. I didn't baby it. I retired the barrel after struggling to maintain 1 moa. The double radius ogive Ace is not "exactly" designed for SAAMI 25-06 so it was no surprise. The whole point of apples and oranges in the video. They didn't decide to call it Blackjack for nothing.

There are different cartridges for different people. 90% of all shooting situations would be served by a good quality 308 shooting good ammo topped by a good scope.

People get butt hurt when someone trashes their favorite cartridge.

I have never met a truly bad cartridge, that was so bad that it make me want to throw it to the curb.

There are things I don't like about certain cartridges 7.82 Warbird destroyed a barrel in 400 rounds, so maybe it isn't a 1000 yard benchrest cartridge.

But Ron and this gentleman here : and other so called experts are going to give their opinion. Doesn't mean you have to agree or waste any time worrying about it.

Randy Selby is a gunsmith, his fanboy cartridge is the 300 Weatherby. He has spent a lot of time trashing cartridge development by Hornady and others. To me this is kind of shitting where you eat, but I am not a gunsmith.

If you want a pink stock with bubble gum swirls and sprinkles let's build you what you want. If you want it chambered in 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, 25-06 or GASP! "6.5 Creedmoor", I'd chamber it. As I reckon that they are in the customer service industry and you want to be known as the guy that delivers.

You sell a product, if someone wants it you build it. They pay and you deliver.

I am not a gunsmith, but that is how I handle my own business and that is what I want when I deal with a gunsmith. That is the way my gunsmith operates and that is how it should be.

As long as it is safe, build it. Why be a little bitch and whinge about a caliber you don't like. It is bad for business.

Even gun writers shouldn't shit slam a new cartridge, they are in the business of selling themselves to the public and to the firearms manufacturers. Just bad economic sense.

Real talk. You get it. BTW, Randy had no problem building me an R700 300 H&H. It is a good rifle and killt the bare that killt me.

Reactions: cornhusker86
Did I just stumble into the Field & Stream FB page?

When I'm bored, I enjoy reading the Fuddtastic comment section. It's good for a chuckle, but also sad to know most gun owners can't shoot, nor understand ballistics.
That is a loaded statement in relation to most of the general population on this very website