• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeroed-In

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2021
EU
Hello fellow shooters.
Can some one with more ballistic knowledge then me, tell me the exact science behind why a 300gr bullet has a lower V/0 then a 250gr.

I know that heavier objects has slower acceleration force. But if some one are able to elaborate this, i would be greatful.

A certain bore diameter, length and cartridge case can only exert certain amount of energy to the bullet. With heavier bullets (than standard weight usually used) and proper powder this can be maximized.

But basically it comes down to weight x velocity x velocity function and therefore you need to lose velocity in order to launch a heavier bullet.

A fixed amount of propellant has a fixed amount of chemical potential energy. This is used to drive the bullet when the propellant is ignited.

Because the bullet weighs more, but has the same available energy, it can't reach the same speed as a lighter bullet.

This is an over simplification but it's in the ballpark.

If you want to self-learn some, look into the conservation of momentum (F=M*A), kinetic energy (Ek=M*V^2), and the kinematic equations here - https://www.khanacademy.org/science...ic-formulas/a/what-are-the-kinematic-formulas

Why is it harder and slower to throw a bowling ball ... than a tennis ball? Because weight burns energy.