• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

255 confirmed kills: Meet Navy SEAL Chris Kyle

Re: 255 confirmed kills: Meet Navy SEAL Chris Kyle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mo_Zam_Beek said:
One of these two is about to loose ALL credibility - Chris Kyle claims he was in a bar fight with Jessie Ventura b/c Ventura says "the SEALs deserved to loose a few guys" while at a wake for SEAL Mike Monsoor.

very true.
ventura is now apparently claiming this punching incident never happened.
i'll be interested in who comes out on top on this one as there isnt even any grey area room to speculate on this one.
</div></div>

Is there any doubt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it not seem just a bit odd that this alleged incident was NOT included Kyle's book?

5+ years after the alleged incident, no police report, and no witnesses?

Why is Kyle's narrative presented as factual without any corroboration?

Whether you like Ventura or not, to suggest he'd wish harm upon UDT/Seal community smacks of disinformation.

Kyle is about to learn firsthand that he's in an actionable situation. </div></div>

I am not sure what book you are talking about.
As has been mentioned several times, the incident was in the hard cover book.
Maybe there is some sort of condensed Readers Digest version.
He was very specific and clear in the book about the incident with only the person's actual name omitted for obvious reasons.

Not being present at the bar at that time I would not swear what version is true but I will say that the former Gov. lost all credibility with me personally based on his claims concerning a 9/11 conspiracy. Chris, on the other hand, comes across as somebody who tells the unvarnished truth as he remembers it.
If a lawsuit happens it will be a lot like Kim Kardashian's lawsuit against GAP for tarnishing her "reputation". In case you haven't been following that circus, GAP (the clothing company, not George and his guys) is rebutting by saying that Kim's sex tape and nude magazine spreads have tarnished her reputation.
Jesse (The Gov) like Kim K., comes across as a media whore who is probably asking himself "What would Kim do in this situation".

Not sure if you have followed any of the media interviews featuring Chris but one jumped out at me when I was scanning Youtube videos before buying (and reading) his book.
In the Fox News interview some quote that Vice President Biden made concerning the Taliban not being our enemy was told to Chris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zDLecFAI...B0E3008A6D141CD
When Chris was asked for his reaction to the statement, his answer was "It sounds like treason to me". Once again, he sounds like a straight shooter who says what he thinks and means what he says.

I consider Kyle in the class with:

McBride, A Rifleman goes to war
Josheph Pilyushin, Red Sniper on the Eastern Front
Vassili Zaitsiv, Notes of a Russian Sniper

These guys are soldiers (or sailors in Kyle's case) who did their job as best they could, not for glory, not on a mocho trip, but because their country called them to do the job, and like most soldiers, when push comes to shove they fight for their comrades.

I have tons of Sniper Books, most are more "hey, look at me, I'm great" but I don't see that in the above mentioned books.

Having said that, and reading Kyle's book, I don't see that he needs to make up stories, the job he did speaks for itself.

So if Kyle says he wacked Ventura, and Ventura says he didn't,

My money is on Kyle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Having said that, and reading Kyle's book, I don't see that he needs to make up stories, the job he did speaks for itself.

My money is on Kyle. </div></div>

agree

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I consider Kyle in the class with:

McBride, A Rifleman goes to war
Josheph Pilyushin, Red Sniper on the Eastern Front
Vassili Zaitsiv, Notes of a Russian Sniper

These guys are soldiers (or sailors in Kyle's case) who did their job as best they could, not for glory, not on a mocho trip, but because their country called them to do the job, and like most soldiers, when push comes to shove they fight for their comrades.

I have tons of Sniper Books, most are more "hey, look at me, I'm great" but I don't see that in the above mentioned books.

My money is on Kyle. </div></div>
Fuckin A
Ventura is an attention getting whore that pretends to be a SEAL.
Kyle is a SEAL and not a pretender. He is and makes no apologies.
Its in my book.

I don't think the punching Ventura thing is gonna sell the book, the fact that Kyle is as bad ass as they come will sell the book. I'm gonna buy it today. And, with any luck, maybe a reality TV producer will get ahold of Kyle and start a show that chronicles him going around punching other jack offs in the face. Now THAT is reality TV I'd watch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roddd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And, with any luck, maybe a reality TV producer will get ahold of Kyle and start a show that chronicles him going around punching other jack offs in the face. Now THAT is reality TV I'd watch. </div></div>

Only if he wears an ice cream truck driver's shirt while doing it.

Maybe Ventura can play himself in the role...
grin.gif

"Punching Out Scruff Face"

I have a question about this part of the book for anyone who has read it.
At the end of the Ventura (scruff face) story the last sentence of that reads...

"I have no way of knowing for sure, but rumor has it he showed up at BUD/S graduation with a black eye."

I'm a little confused, why would Ventura be at a BUD/S graduation?

All in all the book from beginning to end was great. I couldn't put it down. I considered picking up the book written by his buddy Marcus Luttrell. I looked it up and while most reviews were great, a lot of people complained 70% of the book is political bashing, the rest is actually war/action. Chris's book was filled with action or intense stories and memories from beginning to end.

Has anyone read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KBR97</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Punching Out Scruff Face"

I have a question about this part of the book for anyone who has read it.
At the end of the Ventura (scruff face) story the last sentence of that reads...

"I have no way of knowing for sure, but rumor has it he showed up at BUD/S graduation with a black eye."

I'm a little confused, why would Ventura be at a BUD/S graduation?

All in all the book from beginning to end was great. I couldn't put it down. I considered picking up the book written by his buddy Marcus Luttrell. I looked it up and while most reviews were great, a lot of people complained 70% of the book is political bashing, the rest is actually war/action. Chris's book was filled with action or intense stories and memories from beginning to end.

Has anyone read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell?
</div></div>

In answer to your first part of the question, I can only speculate that he (Ventura) was/is a guest speaker at BUD/S graduation ceremonies due to his history with the Underwater Demo Teams.

As far as Lone Survivor goes, I didn't think it was all that political at all. Not sure where people get that notion. It starts off a bit slow but I think that's just part of character development and setting the stage for whats to come. It really picks up once they're on the mountain and it doesn't let up from then on.

Lone Survivor is a GREAT book, my only criticism about it was that some of the parts were kind of hard to believe and I'll leave it at that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In answer to your first part of the question, I can only speculate that he (Ventura) was/is a guest speaker at BUD/S graduation ceremonies due to his history with the Underwater Demo Teams.

As far as Lone Survivor goes, I didn't think it was all that political at all. Not sure where people get that notion. It starts off a bit slow but I think that's just part of character development and setting the stage for whats to come. It really picks up once they're on the mountain and it doesn't let up from then on.

Lone Survivor is a GREAT book, my only criticism about it was that some of the parts were kind of hard to believe and I'll leave it at that. </div></div>

I think I know what you are referring to there...Not sure I would have fared better...Pretty tough situation.

The book is worth every penny, and for my Son was a life changer and perspective bringer.
He wept openly as he read the account of the men selflessly laying down their lives for each other...I was not far behind.
Truth be told the book was more about the great men around Marcus that didn't make it...As it should be.

I picked up Lone Survivor the other day, looking forward to it.

I bought a copy on my way back downrange in the airport last month. I liked it.

"Lone Survivor" mentions that Jesse specifically was at his BUD/S graduation ceremony and shook hands with all the guys who made it thru.
Didn't say anything about him having a black eye at that particular time.
It makes me think Jesse probably attended several times.

In regards to the Jesse Ventura incident, my take is whether it happened or not, its still a great story.
Just because something is not 100% true, does not mean you cant believe in it.
What the hell does truth have to do with a book?
The guys is a bad ass mofo.
Who cares if he made up a few stories?
I dont think this guy should ever have to buy his own drink in a pub.
thats my .02

Both Chris' book and Lone Survivor are great reads. I wasnt able to put either of them down. As for which one has more "action" I would say that Lone Survivor is a bit more descriptive in relation to combat scenes, while Cris' book might just simply state something similar to, "I pulled the trigger" or "down went the enemy" Either way both are great stories. I believe they are coming out with a Lone Survivor movie in 2013.

Yes, not Soldier, Sailor. I used to be one, and was proud to call myself a Sailor. Second, its SEAL. All caps. I was not a SEAL. I did base security and worked on airplanes. I did not earn a Combat Action Ribbon. Having said all that this man was just doing his job, albeit an extraordinary job. I am greatfull for men like this so men like me could do our jobs.

Article by: DAN BROWNING
Star Tribune
February 24, 2012 - 8:18 PM

"Scruff Face"?

Them's fighting words to Jesse "The Body" Ventura, Minnesota's controversial former governor and TV provocateur.

Ventura, whose real name is James Janos, recently filed a defamation lawsuit against Navy SEAL Chris Kyle over the portrayal of a bar fight Kyle claims they had six years ago in Coronado, Calif. Kyle wrote about the alleged incident in his recent memoir "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History."

Under the headline, "Punching Out Scruff Face," Kyle describes a confrontation with a "celebrity" who served in the military during the Vietnam War and who "most people seem to believe was a SEAL." He said Scruff Face winters in Baja California, opposed the war in Iraq and described the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks as a "conspiracy."

Though he didn't name Ventura, Kyle has since acknowledged that Scruff Face is Ventura.

In his lawsuit filed in Hennepin County District Court, Ventura denies any such fight took place and alleges that Kyle defamed him in an effort to promote his book. He's seeking unspecified monetary damages, including any profits from the book's sales.

According to Kyle's portrayal, the incident occurred in 2006 in a Coronado bar frequented by SEALs. Kyle was attending a wake for Mike Mansoor, who received the Medal of Honor after throwing himself on a grenade to save fellow SEALs in Iraq.

Kyle says Ventura was in town to give a commencement speech for a class of SEALs and was trash-talking the war, former President George W. Bush and America in general.

Mansoor's family was upset by Ventura's comments, so Kyle says he told Ventura, "We're all in mourning," and asked him to tone it down. He claims Ventura took a fighting stance and said, "You deserve to lose a few."

Kyle wrote that he suggested they both go their own way, but Ventura swung at him. "I laid him out," Kyle wrote. "Scruff Face ended up on the floor."

In his lawsuit, Ventura raises the specter of a conspiracy. News Corp. owns both HarperCollins and Fox News. He notes that the book's publisher, William Morrow, is an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, and that Kyle was interviewed about the alleged incident in January on the Fox News Channel program "The O'Reilly Factor."

On Friday, Kyle filed a petition to move the suit to U.S. District Court in St. Paul. He said he stands by his story.
http://www.startribune.com/local/140362163.html

I still say Ventura, er "James Janos" is a nut job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fattycakes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, not Soldier, Sailor. I used to be one, and was proud to call myself a Sailor. Second, its SEAL. All caps. I was not a SEAL. I did base security and worked on airplanes. I did not earn a Combat Action Ribbon. Having said all that this man was just doing his job, albeit an extraordinary job. I am greatfull for men like this so men like me could do our jobs. </div></div>

Third...Grateful not Greatfull...
grin.gif

I stumbled on to this thread looking for the specs on Chris' rifle. I spent a week in Coronado a couple of weeks ago with several of the guys mentioned in the book. The Texans beside Marcus that were mentioned and the seal who brought Ryan Job home. One of the guys who brought Marc Lee home is a friend of mine. They all confirm that what happened in Danny's Bar happened.

If you are ever in Coronado stop by Danny's. It's a little place, the walls are covered with photos of all the guys lost since 9/11. Stop in, have a drink, say thank you to the men on those walls and if you can get one to admit to being a seal......buy him a drink!

Also on the post about Jesse not having a black eye at Marcus's graduation. He and Chris started out in the same bud/s class. Thats in Chris' book. So no, he would not have had a black eye at Marcus graduation. The incident took place years after they both graduated.

Either way from a marketing standpoint... everyone is talking about the book. It should do well. I went with the audio version. Loved it!

Who Effin cares about Jessie Ventura? What has that nut job done after the military that was worthy of me giving a f*** about. I vaguly remember him in WWF.. bwaahahahaaa!