• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 accuracy beyond 1k

nhassey48

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2010
Arizona
I was thinking about getting a .260 for long range target shooting and I was curious how effective/accurate is the .260 beyond 1000 yards.

Re: .260 accuracy beyond 1k

go with it. My buddy shoots a 308, and shoots it well, but just switched to 260 for our beyond 1000 endeavors.

8 twist, 123 scenars, 28-30 inch barrel (i have best results with pac-nor) will get you to a mile. 1500 is not a problem AT ALL. mine goes subsonic at about that range and at one mile, still accurateyl strike teh target nose first. Never had a keyhole problem. Of course, you gotta do your job too. RO can get you lined up with some excellent training for on that end.

MLMC

You can do some ballistic calculations using JBM that apply to your situation. Ray Dog lives in CO at high altitude, and I'm at 4,800' ASL here in NV. Low air density helps get to very long ranges. At my altitude, a 139-grain Scenar launched at 2,850 fps or so can remain supersonic past 1,800 yards.

im at about 700 above level and have shot my 260 out to 1447 . shoots great with 140's .

witnessed.....
MVC-003F-1.jpg

What's the best twist for the 139 - 142 grain bullets in the .260? I've got a build started, assembling the components now. What barrel lengths are you running?

I think eveyone is using the 1-8 or 1-8.5 tw for the 140's. I'm running a 28.5", 8 twist on my 260, but I'm not quite getting the velocity "One Eyed Jack" is getting.

I had been running my 140 VLD's at 2820 fps with H4350. I switched lots of powder, and gained 57 fps to 2877 fps with the same charge weight and group sizes. It was a good surprise.

She did good shooting to just over 1000 shooting woodchucks. Was running a 140 A-Max. You'll like it - mild hitting and accurate.

Good Luck,
JamieD

I once had a session at 1Km (listed as 1123yd, on the C/F Silhouette Range at Whittington, NM) using a .24" 1:8" factory Savage 10FP .260 rifle (one of the last they made) using 139 Scenars and around 40-ish grains of V-V N550. Following this, I never had another opportunity to shoot the 260 beyond 1Kyd. The load was hyper-hot and blew primers when the temp increased by about 10 degree into the 80-90 degree F. range. Rifle was accurate to well within 2MOA and I never got past 1Kyd after that. I now use a 28" 1:8" L-W BR grade barrel, 140A-Max/142SMK and 43.8/43.9gr of H4350 running (loafing?) conservatively at 2850fps, which is definitely G2G for 1Kyd, and probably well beyond 1Km.

Greg

Anyone know how much spin drift would be at 1,500 an 1 mile for the .260?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know how much spin drift would be at 1,500 an 1 mile for the .260?</div></div>

1,500y: approx 0.4mils (1.38moa)
1,500m: approx 0.5mils (1.72moa)
1 mile: approx 0.6mils (2.1moa)

Thanks hammerhead. Good to know.

About a month ago, I had the opportunity to attend an extreme long range class at Tac Pro. There were 8 students, a couple of 50's, several 338's, a 300WM and I was the smallest with a 260. I had never shot beyound 1K and wanted to see just how far I could go.

My 260 surprised everybody by streching out to 1600 and one hit at 1700. At 1300 I had 3 hits within 8-9 inches. There were targets out to 2400 but I wasn't going to get there. With a hit at 1700 (almost a mile) I said good enough and stopped on a positive note.

IMO, With good bullets the 260 can reach out well past 1K. If you thought wind was tough at 1K it's really tought beyond that. I remember giving my spotter the mean mug after he called for a 8 MOA wind correction. Bottom line I learned a great deal, tested my shooting skills, pushed my 260 rifle and ammo farther than ever before and thoroughly had a great time.

The .260 is a fully capable round to a grand and nice bit farther. I love mine. You will love it too. I know it.

If you go to the JBM website it you have your muzzle velocity you can determine when it goes subsonic, spin drift, etc. really easily and make a good estimate. I use it to build my dope charts. Wish they sold it as software so I could put it on my 10" laptop when I am at the range and don't have reception to get on the net.

Justin

Great info. What powder do you recommend with the Berger 140gr vlds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarbonOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great info. What powder do you recommend with the Berger 140gr vlds? </div></div>

Im a fan of H4831SC, but others will say Reloder17, H4350.

An interesting thread: For sure the .260 Rem is a very under utilised cartridge and Rem really missed the boat in not marketing this round hard with a decent load?

Wwhat pwder/primer works well to get sensible pressure and serious velocities in shorter barrels?? Reloader 17 seems the new toy?

ChadTRG42, of www.Dallasreloads.com has been working up reload data for the new snipers hide rifle build in 260.

He has been very helpful here in the past. Not promoting anyone special, just what I have read and experienced in conversation.

take care

43.0 grains of H4350, Lapua case, GMM primer, 140 VLD shooting out of a 26" 1-8.5 bartlein 5r barrel at 2850 fps.

I have taken my AIAW 260 out to a mile on several occasions. On the rare occasion I saw an impact I experienced the bullet impacting a good 8-10 MOA below where my Knights bullet flight app said it should be impacting.
For some reason when I take it out past 1400 yards I either hit way low, or I can't spot the impacts as the light 140 grain bullets don't kick up enough earth after loosing so much velocity.

I almost always make good hits out to 1400 yards though. I would love to try a mile with a good spotter that can consistently and reliably see the impacts, that might make all the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD65SLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go to the JBM website it you have your muzzle velocity you can determine when it goes subsonic, spin drift, etc. really easily and make a good estimate. I use it to build my dope charts. Wish they sold it as software so I could put it on my 10" laptop when I am at the range and don't have reception to get on the net.

Justin</div></div>
This software is sold - but not for laptops. Ballistic FTE on iPhone/iPod/iPad runs JBM engine.

There are other good ballistic calculators too. Shooter on Android uses a different but comparably good ballistic engine. SeniorPro (professional/advanced version of Strelok/iStrelok) runs on Android, and on Windows laptops.

The only thing I've found frustrating with shooting .260/6.5mm rounds beyond 1000m is that it becomes increasingly difficult to spot splash.

I shoot the 140 AMAX at 2700. I'm subsonic before 1760 but still make hits every summer at our mile shoot. Pretty reliable out to about 1500 or so. Go for it!

First off I'd like to thank the OP for posing this question. I'm new to the forum and to anything beyond 500yds/m. I've shot .308 mainly in the past, but not too seriously. I recently sold the .308 for financial reasons, but am now "back in the black" and looking to get into the long range game.

I've been gleaning off this site for quite some time, and just recently joined. I too am very interested in the .260 as I am very impressed with it's ballistics. My question would be: At what range would the round be effective as a kill shot? As in, is it hitting hard enough out that far to be battlefield effective at the ranges that have been stated? I know the .308 becomes more or less difficult to even get to 1000, or so I've read.

SO, I just wondered what type of energy the .260 is carrying at the further distances.

Tough to answer on battlefield effectiveness. It isn't a military cartridge here in the USA. So it would all be based upon the #s, not real battlefield experience.

Yeah, I understand that it's not a military round and hasn't seen combat as such. I guess my question then would be, what's the furthest distance anyone has made a kill on a substantial game animal, (such as a deer/antelope/etc.), with a .260 Remington or anything similar enough to logically compare? And/or, at what distance does it cease to do enough damage to the vital area to walk away with a clean kill?

I only ask because I'm really leaning toward this chambering for it's ballistics and accuracy out past 1k, along with low felt recoil. But I have no personal experience with what is necessary in terms of "energy expended" on impact at those ranges out to say.. 1500yds, to cleanly kill.

I know there are many rounds such as the .338 variants, that easily kill at that range. I'm simply curious if the same would be true of the .260. While I enjoy punching holes in paper just as much as the next fellow, it would be nice to know what it's "effective" range would be as well.

I guess I'm a bit "old corps" in that respect, as my time in the military learning weapons systems always consisted of two ranges for a weapon. Maximum, and Maximum Effective. The latter being considered the range at which one could expect to incapacitate, and therefore the actual range at which the weapon should be employed at to ensure combat effectiveness.

I guess maybe the only way to find out other than crunching numbers, would be with ballistics gel? If anyone knows of any tests at range with the gel for any round even similar, I would be very interested to see those results. Really, any LR ballistics gel tests with any chambering would interest me as well. I would personally never consider attempting to take an animal at an extreme range such as those listed here, but it'd be nice to know the effective limits of many of the more popular LR chamberings… Yes?

There is a lot of debate on taking game at long range. 1000 ft-lbs is often mentioned as the minimum amount of energy for taking NA big game. If you run the numbers on a 260 rem with 140 gr bullet @ 2800fps. I used an altitude of 6000ft (Lolo may be higher). JBM = 938ft-lbs @ 1000 yards.

I have heard of people taking it to 1 mille, as far as energy goes would have to go off numbers. Tom Sarver (owner of Thunder Valley Precision here in Ohio) is the one I heard talking about doing it. He owns a 1 mile range and shoots a 260 a lot. The last comp I did with him he was shooting the 140 VLD's.

http://thundervalleyprecision.com/

Thank you Lowe. I believe you have answered my question. I think given the nature of your answer, I'm going to have to get on the JBM wagon soon. It seems like I could have answered my own question. Hopefully it wasn't in vain, and some others learned something as I have.

I'm new to this game, and am unfamiliar with computer modeling of ballistics. It seems like an extremely viable tool in regards to the types of questions I have regarding energy at distance. Thanks again.

I have always considered 1000ft/lb AND 1800fps the minimum for hunting range for medium/large game.

Where I shoot, with a .260 that's roughly 800yd. Personally I wouldn't likely take a shot beyond 500-600yd. However, what you do is dependent on you and your (perceived) ability.

I personally wouldn't take a 260 hunting except for Varmint (coyotes, ect) and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">maybe</span></span> deer at most

I honestly wouldn't attempt a shot on game further than that either. I will admit that my experience beyond 500m is very limited, and I won't attempt to embellish my abilities, perceived or not. I am new to the long range game. I simply have zero experience with the .260, LR shooting, or computer ballistics. So, I asked. I will be downloading JBM at my earliest convenience in order to assist me in my search for what I consider a suitable upgrade from .308.

It seems like there is a lot of interest here and other forums on maximum distance that someone can accurately sling lead at paper. I'm personally more interested in a rounds maximum distance that one could dispatch a living target. So with that being said, I believe I'll be moving on from the .260 in search of something with more ass behind it.

I think the .260 sounds like a fine target round, but I think I'm looking for more than that. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I think I just talked myself into .338LM. Unless someone has a better suggestion. But the last thing I want to do is turn this into a chambering war. There's already enough of that floating around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It seems like there is a lot of interest here and other forums on maximum distance that someone can accurately sling lead at paper. I'm personally more interested in a rounds maximum distance that one could dispatch a living target. So with that being said, I believe I'll be moving on from the .260 in search of something with more ass behind it.

I think the .260 sounds like a fine target round, but I think I'm looking for more than that. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I think I just talked myself into .338LM. Unless someone has a better suggestion. But the last thing I want to do is turn this into a chambering war. There's already enough of that floating around. </div></div>

Take a look at 300WinMag, the 260 starts to run out of steam at around 1000-yards, and the 300WM mirrors the ballistics/trajectory of the 260 to 1K, and keeps going after that. The 300WM is in use with the Army and Navy, and has no problems taking any North American big game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I just talked myself into .338LM. </div></div>

+1

Yeah, for me right now, I've narrowed it down to a 7mm variant, a .300 variant, or the .338LM. They all seem like great choices to me. At this point, it will be decided by accuracy/energy near the 1500 yd threshold, cost and ease of reloading, barrel life, and recoil. In pretty much that order.

I've also considered just going .308, but the ballistics just aren't that impressive to me past 800yds. That is the point where I understand the .300 Win Mag, and the 7mm variants to pick up where the .308 leaves off, and anything past 1200yds to be .338 territory.

Keeping in mind that energy is just as important to me as accuracy.

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. Next on my list is JBM download… I'm trying to hold off with "stupid questions" and just research for now, but thanks for not giving me too hard a time with my first posts. I realize there is a ton of information on this site, so it's hard really to ask anything that hasn't already been answered. In that respect, I felt like I had lurked as a non member for long enough, and finally signed up and started posting. I've had a blast so far…

900m007.jpg

Just yesterday...conditions were as close to perfect as possible.

I shoot 130gr VLD's in both of my .260's.

Very nice sir! I always enjoy seeing what happens on the business end. That's some good shooting PGS! I can't wait to bang steel out that far, and group 'em that well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally wouldn't take a 260 hunting except for Varmint (coyotes, ect) and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">maybe</span></span> deer at most </div></div>

260 Remington kills whitetail just as dead as any 30cal rifle, including magnums; the 6.5x55 Swede has killed European moose for a century now.

The 140gr 6.5mm Accubond has marginally higher sectional density than the 180gr 30cal Accubond...and the 160gr 6.5mm Hornady Interlock only slightly trails the 220gr 30cal Interlock.

Any shot somebody would take on game with, say a 30-06, they could also take with a 260.

I have shot mine to 1300 with good results. I actually out shoot lots of mags 338 LM included at that distance. But I'm shooting steel not animals.

The .260rem, 6.5x47 and 6.5 creed to me are just insert name here. I have shot them all and unless your looking at the head-stamp they all do almost the same thing. They simply shoot lights out until they go subsonic. I have had the opportunity to shot several models of 6.5 guns and in my personal opinion the 6.5 in a short action is second to only the 7wsm. With a 20" match barrel on a LMT gas gun in .260 I have produced 3" 5 shot groups at 900m, sub 5" groups at 1200m and can tell you that with factory ammunition and a 20" gun it goes 1440m everyday here at 5000'. I personally believe the 6.5's to be the most accurate of any short action with the 7wsm's advantage being only that of BC.

Luv,
I have a 6.5x47 and a 300WM. If I were going to hunt something bigger than a whitetail and I thought I would have a shot over 500 I would carry the 300. Anything less and I would take the 6.5. If i had to pick one it would be the 300. I love the 6.5 but there are limits as to what it can do....(esp if we are talking hunting and not steel or paper)

i was just shooting at TVP at 1 mile with 142smk in a 260...

bad winds, i was holding 6mils wind, but saw impacts all around the gong...
23.2mils up from 200y zero