• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 barrel length??

Whit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
Ohio
I am rebarreling a Sako TRG in 260 Rem with 1-8"twist. If I push the bullet at 2770fps out of a 24" barrel (SouthWest Ammo numbers). Should I stick with a 24" or should I get a 26" barrel? I am looking at shooting either 140gr VLD's or 140gr SMK's out to 1000yds.

Re: 260 barrel length??

Several years back I shot a Remington 700 VLS .260 in Factory Class at Hawks Ridge. The rifle had a 26" factory barrel and with Berger 140's I shot some respectible groups. Looking at notes from 2001, I was burning VV N560, settled on 43.1 (safe in that gun), pushing it 2532 FPS with single digit ES.
I believe the 26" barrel would be your friend for 1k shots. For a Hunting Rifle, 24 might be OK but I've never been in a rifle hunt where a 26" barrel kept me out of the thicket.

You'll probably hit 2800 if your pushing them at 2770 out of a 24"

2770 is just fine to reach 1k.

For reference with handloads I was hitting 2800 with ease out of a 22" barrel with 139 scenars.

I'm hitting just over 2700 with a 139 scenar out of a 21" barrel, 24" should have no problem reaching 2770

I have a 28 and while it is a laser and cuts wind like no ones buisness it's perfect for a belly gun (what it was built for) it would be hard to trasport, hide, and such with it. 24 should be about perfect for the 260 I would think. Good luck.

2810 fps out of my 22" 1 in 8 Bart. 140 Berger over 43.2g Rl17. I hate longer barrels.

Mine will have a bartlein barrel too.

My AW came with a 24" and gets 2800 with 142 SMK's and H4350. Just go with the 8" twist and don't worry about what the guy next to you gets in velocity. They will both shoot and the 24" handles better.

24" 1:8" should be fine to 1000yd, it was for me.

I upgraded to a 28" so I could tone down my load and still make my velocity ontarget. Being a handloader allows that sort of thing.

24". If you can choose your reamer go .297nk with .088 Freebore

my last one was 24 inches 1:8 twist and I shot it out to 1340 yds at ASC in the Fall match in 2011 and it shot fine...I did however just build a new one with a 26 inch barrel for a little more velocity...

24-26 inches is plenty of barrel length for the 260 out to 1000

IMO the added velocity of the 2" is > the detriment of the loss of utilitarianism because of it.

I went 26". I was going 24" at first but the added velocity or ability I get the same velocity in a lighter load to save barrel life outweighed a couple inches and a few ounces.

I think I might go with a 26". I can always take off but I can't add length. I don't think 26" will be all that long considering the factory barrel for a TRG is 26"(without brake), it seems like it will be OK to me. I will find out though. It will be a tad longer yet since I am having a APA Little Bastard put on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I might go with a 26". I can always take off but I can't add length. I don't think 26" will be all that long considering the factory barrel for a TRG is 26"(without brake), it seems like it will be OK to me. I will find out though. It will be a tad longer yet since I am having a APA Little Bastard put on. </div></div>

you will not notice 2 inches of barrel...you will gain some preformance with really minimal weight gain. 26 is a good call. when I went to 26 i did not go with a break. Don't feel it is neccessary with a 260. 15lb 260 doesn't jump very much at all and there is no recoil.

You might want to consider going with no break on it

Just had a .260 Rem built with a Surgeons 591 and a Bartlein "T" style or progressive twist barrel. Final twist is 1:8 and barrel is 26" long. Not sure about brake so I had the barrel threaded and a protective cap made for it. Had a brake timed to the barrel as well. I'll figure what I like after firing with and then without the brake.

I have the factory TRG .260 with a 26" barrel and it does not feel awkward at all to me. Personally, I believe you need a longer barrel to really get the full benefit of the .260 round. If I was really fixed on the idea of a short barrel, I would go with a .308.

I am pushing the 142 SMK at 2855 out of an 1-8 twist 24 inch benchmark barrel, it balances great and doesn't even need a brake
Start with a 26 inch, you can always set it back or cut it down later.

24" Shilen Select match, she's getting set back here soon, still hoping to get some good vel.

I already have the brake. I will have it timed and get a thread protector.

23" barrel for me, what I sacrifice in velocity does matter to me as much as what I gained in mobility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">23" barrel for me, what I sacrifice in velocity does matter to me as much as what I gained in mobility. </div></div>

How much mobility do you really gain in a whopping 1-3 inches less? haha not that the velocity gain is huge but the mobility argument is not that strong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">23" barrel for me, what I sacrifice in velocity does matter to me as much as what I gained in mobility. </div></div>

How much mobility do you really gain in a whopping 1-3 inches less? haha not that the velocity gain is huge but the mobility argument is not that strong.

</div></div>

It adds up when you have to shoot positional.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">23" barrel for me, what I sacrifice in velocity does matter to me as much as what I gained in mobility. </div></div>

</div></div>

It adds up when you have to shoot positional. </div></div>

I shoot positional now with a 26 inch barrel with no issues...I get if you start talking 28inchs and the gun becomes front heavy but not between 23-26

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">23" barrel for me, what I sacrifice in velocity does matter to me as much as what I gained in mobility. </div></div>

</div></div>

It adds up when you have to shoot positional. </div></div>

I shoot positional now with a 26 inch barrel with no issues...I get if you start talking 28inchs and the gun becomes front heavy but not between 23-26 </div></div>

Thats your opinion
smile.gif
It also depends on the particular vendor/stock your using.

24" seems to do well BEYOND 1000...so it basically comes down to if you WANT more or not, cause it sure isn't NEEDED.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PLyTT3omAFM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">23" barrel for me, what I sacrifice in velocity does matter to me as much as what I gained in mobility. </div></div>

</div></div>

Really? It comes down to preference. But at least to me, a 23" barrel vs. a 26"+ barrel depending on contour, balances better. Everything is a compromise and depends on what you think is important and prefer.

49 g powder, .264 dia. , 26" barrel, simple math

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22" rock, 3190fps with 123smk </div></div>

That is SMOKING fast...

Care to share load data?

20" with a suppressor attached to it will help gain fps? At least that's what I have in mind for my build. I bought a 30P-1 for it. So, the idea is to chop down a 1:8.5 Krieger barrel to 20". The suppressor should help me gain any speed that I may have lost by going with a shorter barrel. I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20" with a suppressor attached to it will help gain fps? At least that's what I have in mind for my build. I bought a 30P-1 for it. So, the idea is to chop down a 1:8.5 Krieger barrel to 20". The suppressor should help me gain any speed that I may have lost by going with a shorter barrel. I think. </div></div>

Freebore boost isn't going to make up for 4" of bore. It's design dependant.
It's not guarenteed and expectations should be under 40fps or 2" of bore max IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20" with a suppressor attached to it will help gain fps? At least that's what I have in mind for my build. I bought a 30P-1 for it. So, the idea is to chop down a 1:8.5 Krieger barrel to 20". The suppressor should help me gain any speed that I may have lost by going with a shorter barrel. I think. </div></div>

Freebore boost isn't going to make up for 4" of bore. It's design dependant.
It's not guarenteed and expectations should be under 40fps or 2" of bore max IMO. </div></div>

Thanks for the info.
smile.gif

Corbon 142 gr match ammo runs 2666 out of my 23 inch
HSM 130 gr Bergers run 2766

Temp 78
Alt. 802
Baro 29
Humid 42

The 260 with an 8.5 twist barrel is the best twist for that caliber. I bulit 30" down to 20" in barrel length. Barrel length will depend on your needs. Is it a hunting or F-Class rig? I have a 20" that is a tack driver at 800 yards. I lost about 35 fps to 45 fps. It was worth it for that rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 260 with an 8.5 twist barrel is the best twist for that caliber. I bulit 30" down to 20" in barrel length. Barrel length will depend on your needs. Is it a hunting or F-Class rig? I have a 20" that is a tack driver at 800 yards. I lost about 35 fps to 45 fps. It was worth it for that rig.
</div></div>dar, what's your comeups for the 800 yd mark with that 20" bbl. And what bullet. Im looking at cutting mine down.

Remember guys if you handload you can easily make up that velocity drop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember guys if you handload you can easily make up that velocity drop. </div></div>
Oh clearly!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember guys if you handload you can easily make up that velocity drop.</div></div>

Also remember that loading for ultimate precision and top velocity aren't the same thing. So while you could "make up" the velocity by loading hotter that may not be your top accuracy load. No matter how hot you load it will be faster in a longer barrel. Everything is a trade off so what is most important to you......

I mostly run 22" barrels in the 260, but do have one that is 25" gain twist and its definitely the most accurate of my 260 rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember guys if you handload you can easily make up that velocity drop.</div></div>

Also remember that loading for ultimate precision and top velocity aren't the same thing. So while you could "make up" the velocity by loading hotter that may not be your top accuracy load. No matter how hot you load it will be faster in a longer barrel. Everything is a trade off so what is most important to you...... </div></div>

True, BUT it might be close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22" rock, 3190fps with 123smk </div></div>

That is SMOKING fast...

Care to share load data? </div></div> I'll post it later today, don't have my information with me currently. Also, no pressure signs in hot Arizona summer.

My ups at 800 yards with a 20" barrel is 4.8 mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 260 with an 8.5 twist barrel is the best twist for that caliber. I bulit 30" down to 20" in barrel length. Barrel length will depend on your needs. Is it a hunting or F-Class rig? I have a 20" that is a tack driver at 800 yards. I lost about 35 fps to 45 fps. It was worth it for that rig.
</div></div>dar, what's your comeups for the 800 yd mark with that 20" bbl. And what bullet. Im looking at cutting mine down.
</div></div>