• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

260 Rem loads for 123 Scenars using Varget?

meta

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2004
Earth
I'd like to work up a load using Lapua 123 Scenar and Varget powder for my T2K in 260 Rem. I've had fantastic results with Varget with the lighter bullets, most noteable would be with 95 grain VMax bullets. That combination produced ragged holes on paper at 100 yards and devastated prairie dogs. Unorthodox use of a Tubb rifle? Yes, but there's no law against it, yet.
Anyhow, now I'm looking for a good paper punching load out to 300 yards with the components I have on hand. Lapua 123's and either Varget or IMR 4350. Not much data here with IMR4350, just lots of great results using H4350, which I don't have on hand. Any thoughts?

Re: 260 Rem loads for 123 Scenars using Varget?

My experience is there are no shortcuts, everyone's gun is different, and you'll probably have to do like everyone else and work up a load. I've only got lucky one time with a sub .5 load straight out of the box, no ladder test nor work up.

I switched from IMR 4350 to H 4350 because Hodgen will run through a prometheus without modification but IMR kernal size is much larger. Reportedly, H is less temp sensitive. In any event, I'm pretty sure the my final load upon the switch was pretty close to the IMR version (I had worked the load up using H from probably 5% less than my primary IMR load.)

Have you gone to the Hodgen interwebs reloading site and looked this up? Seems like they had Varget and IMR or H loads for 123 scenars there.

Good luck!
smile.gif

Re: 260 Rem loads for 123 Scenars using Varget?

I'm not shooting the 123 scenars but I am shooting the 123 smk's. lumped .020 with 39.3 of varget. I'm getting 2930-2940. 1-8 shilen 26" tube. So far I am very happy with the results