• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.270 win.LR Question?

BOBOSS

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Mont Vernon NH
I am very new on the Hide so go easy on me. I have noticed there is little or no "activity" regarding .270 win. as a long range round. Is there a reason for this? I am currently trying to decide on a caliber to focus on and have picked the .270 as a viable solution. Obviously the .308 is the most popular for obvious reasons, but ballistics show the .270 to be comparable and actually better at less than 800 yds. Is it mostly because .308 mods, rifles etc. are more available or something else? Remember, be kind, I am very new at this.

Re: .270 win.LR Question?

The reason is that the .270 uses a bastard bullet diameter in between .264 and .284. Great LR bullets abound for those two diameters, not the case with .277 (.270).

The 270 is a fantastic cartridge. You see little about it here because most of the guys here like military style rifles and cartridges. If you go to a hunting forum the 270 is talked about alot. So it really is the company you keep. The above poster is also right about bullet selection. There is a better selection of bullets in calibers that are pretty close to the .270. But the .270 is definitely not a "bastard bullet". There are probably more bullets made(by numbers) in .277 caliber than either the .264 or .284, but those calibers do have a fantastic ballistic coefficient for bullets that travel in the 2,900 to 3,200 fps range.

As far as top cartridges to the consumer, the 270 always rates real high in sales. Actually higher than any .264, or .284 caliber rifles, and the 270 outsells the 308 Winchester. Just not here. Tom.

If you already have one, reload the 150 grain Berger VLD's to about 2600 fps and its quite the mid range rifle. I take mine out to 600 yards every once in a while and have absolutly no problem hitting MOA steel with similar drop to my 308. Also try the 135 SMK's

I agree the .270 is a good chambering, IMHO, primarily for hunting. Commercial ammo availability is fairly easily obtained, and it's well suited to the task.

As an LR precision chambering I think you'd be happier with the .280 Rem. Same case capacity, better bullet selection and availability for the handloader, somewhat more effficient use of the case capacity than the parent .30-'06; while still being able to generate the energy downrange with the lesser recoil of the .270.

As a Long Action chambering, it's virtually identical in rifle configuration to the .30-'06 except for the bore diameter, and could make an excellent companion chambering to the .30-'06 (and others) in a switch barrel rifle ensemble. Perforamnce is in the light-middle magnum range.

If you are looking to upgrade performance beyond the .308, the .30-'06 and .280 Rem are likely candidates. Bullet weights of between 130 and 175gr are available that can reach 1Kyd easily enough.

Greg

Thanks!! Lots of useful info here. Looks like I need more than one LR gun, and that is in no way shape or form a bad thing!

not to hijack this thread, but i remember reading somewhere that the 308 is inherently more accurate that the 30 06 from the experience of palma shooters in the eighties. if the only major difference is that the 30 06 is a larger round capable of carrying more power to push the round harder, why is it less accurate over long distances? shouldnt it be the opposite? and to tie it together, does this mean that the 308 will be more accurate than the 270 beyond 800 yrds?