• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.270 x 308

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I just had reamers made for a 308 necked down to 270. I think this cartridge could be interesting. Anybody have any experience with this wildcat? Performance should be pretty good Im thinking. Im building it on a BAT or Stiller single shot action and Krieger barrel. Gonna use it for white tail deer, black bear, coyote, fox, etc...

My question is why? Why would you spend the money and effort making a .270-08 when 7mm-08 has existed forever. I understand wanting to have something different and new, but isn't the bullet selection in .270 seriously lacking in comparison to 6.5 and 7mm? Not knocking it at all, just curious what the benefits of the cartridge might be over existing ones.

NSNARC- Did you see his pic in his avatar? 'nough said.

Seriously though- I thought the same thing when reading his post. I am interested to hear how his wildcat turns out. I doubt it will best the 7-08, simply for the reason already mentioned- bullet selection. That being said, Jig stated the purpose is for a hunting rig with what sounds like medium sized game as the target, not ELR or even LR shooting. There's no doubt that the .270 ( with it's limited bullet catalog) have been wacking animals for quite some time and is more than capable with the species he mentioned.

The 270 Redding is similar to what your talking about. Good round but the 7mm-08 kills it. The 7mm has better bullet selection with better BC & SD. Good luck!

Yeah. I hear what you guys are saying. For my long range shooting I use my 300 winmag and 6.5x47. The 6.5x47 pretty much eliminates me building a 260 to hunt with, the ballistics are just too similar. Both my winmag and 6.5 are too heavy to be hunting with. Ive done it for 3 years now, and its getting annoying. My smith is extremely into wildcats, as are my buddies. Ive pretty much shot all of the 6mm, 6.5, and 284 wildcats that there are. I guess I just wanted to try something different.

For its intended purpose, I think it could be an interesting cartridge. Also, I like the idea of it feeding off of a short action.

.270-08 has been done before, so its really nothing new. It works fine, just like all other modern short-action cartridges. Its just "different" and doesn't offer anything a 7mm-08 doesn't. I really think you're trying to reinvent the wheel. Also, I see little point to a bolt-action hunting rifle in a single shot, but if that's your flavor...why not?

If you've got money to burn and a desire, go for it, but realize the only thing you're doing is being stubbornly different.

How did ut turn out and how do you feel about it. The new 165 ABLR and a rem700 SA has me thinking this same thing. Or .270 Redding

How did ut turn out and how do you feel about it. The new 165 ABLR and a rem700 SA has me thinking this same thing. Or .270 Redding

Hi,

Well the thread is over 7 years old and the original poster has not been back on SH for 3 years so I doubt you are going to get an answer, lolol

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: coachtech

I think you would have better luck with the 145gr ELD-X.

I have been drawing up a few wildcats I would like to one day make, and one of which is essentially a 277 Ackley Improved Benchrest case... like a 6mm Dasher necked up to 270cal...

Sure, it doesn't do anything the 6GT or 7-08 can't do... but I think it will be a fine cartridge, overall.

A 270-08 would be no different, although it may be easier to just get a 6.8spc depending on your ability to reload your own ammo.