• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

270Win Precision Rifle???

markwente

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2021
DES MOINES
Does anyone shoot sub moa at 1,760 yards? What ammo are you reloading? and what length and twist rate are you using. I know there are better rounds to accomplish this but I have a ton of 270 Brass and 16lbs Hybrid 100V powder and want to build something different if feasible.
Thanks
Mark

Sounds interesting. I like 270... my favorite for hunting anything in the US, frankly (but also because the gun is a Tikka and I like Tikka).

Said Tikka will shoot Hornady ELD Precision Hunter factory ammo to 800 yards with a basic Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 scope.

I'd be willing to bet you can go a mile the same bullet - okay, perhaps a heavier grain - and a hot charge. Do it on a Tikka action! :)

Sounds interesting. I like 270... my favorite for hunting anything in the US, frankly (but also because the gun is a Tikka and I like Tikka).

Said Tikka will shoot Hornady ELD Precision Hunter factory ammo to 800 yards with a basic Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 scope.

I'd be willing to bet you can go a mile the same bullet - okay, perhaps a heavier grain - and a hot charge. Do it on a Tikka action! :)
I have been horsing around with my son 270 Rem 700 24" barrel 1-10 twist using ELD 145 loaded 54.2grains. I have been wondering about 26" Heavy Palma maybe 1-8.5 twist and what ammo would i use?

check out the sherman long action cartridges based on 270 brass

might be able to get a little more performance switching to a 280 Sherman with the availability of good 7mm bullets

I’d do a fast twist and the Berger 170 EOL bullets.
It should be pretty decent at a mile yet still be good for hunting.

I wouldn't build one specifically for LR target- bullet selection is overwhelmingly weighted towards hunting bullets- I don't see even a single VLD target bullet made in .277. Sierra MatchKings, a few "hybrids" but absent a decent selection of very high BC, VLD boolits there's much better choices.

It's basically a 30-.06 necked down- why not neck-up a bit to 7mm?

• Haha
Reactions: Aftermath
I put together a 270 Winchester with 1-7 twist Remage on a Bighorn Origin action. It seems to like the 170 Berger and 165 LRAB. No idea on long range performance, but I think it'd be a good performer.
i7P6Cnl.jpg

I wouldn't build one specifically for LR target- bullet selection is overwhelmingly weighted towards hunting bullets- I don't see even a single VLD target bullet made in .277. Sierra MatchKings, a few "hybrids" but absent a decent selection of very high BC, VLD boolits there's much better choices.

Or neck down to a 6.5 or 257.

Reactions: 2c1fr
I am in the process of building a 270 Win specifically for testing it for long range capability.
Using a Sprtsman 78 donor action an older Stockys walnut target stock. I have a x-Caliber 9 twist barrel ordered. Should be in after Christmas.
Currently shooting 150 SSTs with Win. StaBall. Like you I have a large stock of Hybrid I will be testing also.

I am in the process of building a 270 Win specifically for testing it for long range capability.
Using a Sprtsman 78 donor action an older Stockys walnut target stock. I have a x-Caliber 9 twist barrel ordered. Should be in after Christmas.
Currently shooting 150 SSTs with Win. StaBall. Like you I have a large stock of Hybrid I will be testing also.
I'm new to this site can you keep me posted on your results.

I have been horsing around with my son 270 Rem 700 24" barrel 1-10 twist using ELD 145 loaded 54.2grains. I have been wondering about 26" Heavy Palma maybe 1-8.5 twist and what ammo would i use?
Don't laugh. I picked up a Mauser M18 in 270 as part of the Minox deal in 2019. Using the Hornady 145 ELDs as well (1-10 twist), factor (damn me for not buying a case or 2). Truthfully this thing is more accurate than it has a right to be. My range is only 400, but hitting 6" plates is easy - keep in mind this was a sub 400 dollar gun. I've been wondering if/when I get into reloading if I'll develop a load for this; but the 145's are stout and for hunting I have NO doubt that < 500 yards the animal (large deer, possibly elk) could be harvested. You'd have to be on the money, but the 145s seem damn accurate to me.

I also have some of the discontinued Federal Edge TLRs, but haven't shot them. Also a fairly high BC but not ELD high. I'd love to see some 1250 yards hits with stock 270s. Data says with 145 ELD-X this should be quite doable.

20211117_212451.jpg
Still a work in progress. I just bedded the lug area.still wearing the factory barrel. It shoots extremely well as it sits. My last range trip I shot 140 Gr. Sierra Game changers. Shot a hat trick @ 100 yds( 3 shots 1 hole)

Reactions: DubfromGA
Currently shooting 150 SSTs with Win. StaBall. Like you I have a large stock of Hybrid I will be testin

Check out Mark and Sam after work on YouTube. He has one he built and shot out to 2300 yards.

Amazing Video Thank you so much

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
did you say you were reloading 270 with hybrid 100v? What bullet will you be firing? I see that is a prefit barrel. Have you had any issues with head spacing? I am so interest in building a 270 on rem clone with prefit barrel i was thinking 1:8 twist if i can get heavy berger bullets but i think 1:9 might be better option.

I had to order a new nut..after I purchased the spline wrench everyone sells the nuts with regular flats and I like the splined ones better ..Have a new spline nut coming from EA Brown.
I have several powders to try, one being Hybrid 100v.
I currently have some 145 ELDx and 150 sst. Nosler has some really nice ABLR bullets in 160 but out of stock for over a year...
I thought about twist rate on this build quite a while. I'm thinking 170 gr should be the biggest bullet I will try, and 1:9 should work well enough. To an extent this is all a bit experimental. If this barrel won't work it will be a snap to swap out.

This will be a sweet. Always had a soft spot for the 270. Even so much as to consider a shorter barreled 270 tikka and load 110ttsx bullets for a soft shooting gun for the kids.

Long range 270 will be cool to see.

Reactions: Boatninja
This re-barrel has given me some fits. As I was attempting to tighten the barrel nut the recoil lug wanted to move on me as I got it tight.
So I invested in a Davidson action wrench and a tool to locate the lug that bolts on using the front action screw hole.
Much better now... Gauges fit and function perfectly. Now on to bedding the stock !

I think a fast twist .25-06 with a 131 of other high BC 25 caliber bullet would be easier to feed than finding high-BC .270 bullets.

I just finished a two week 270 project to use up parts lying around. I did not have to buy anything.

270 1938 Turkish Mauser 20220201_084525.jpg

$54 = Turkish Mauser 1938/1941 K Kale type 2001-02-17
$0 = take off Bell and Carlson stock
$125 = un fired take off 270 Criterion barrel stainless fluted with 18 tpi threads
$5 = acetylene bending bolt handle with Brownells bending blocks
$75 = ebay auction Parker Hale hinged Aluminum bottom metal.
$50 = Bold Optima Mauser trigger with safety
$20 = LimbSaver AirTech Slip-On Recoil Pad, small
$35 = Weaver S45 and S46 scope bases Amazon
$2 = 6-48 scope base screws
$1 = Devcon steel putty bedding under scope bases
$6 = Optics Riflescope Scope Bubble Amazon
$1= 1" of Walnut butt extension for length of pull
$1 = Aluminum 0.1" diameter rivets to assemble bottom metal

Attachments

• 1938 Turk milling the bolt handle for scope clearance 20220126_094259.jpg
    1938 Turk milling the bolt handle for scope clearance 20220126_094259.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 38 turk bolt handle clearance on scope eye piece 20220126_085839.jpg
    38 turk bolt handle clearance on scope eye piece 20220126_085839.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 55
I weighs 8 pounds with scope.

Work done by me:

1) bend bolt handle, one man with torch, one man with sledge hammer, ....done 2002
2) drill and tap receiver with 4 holes for 6-48 screws to attach Weaver bases. ....done 2002

3) cut off existing barrel threaded tenon and cut new shoulder and small ring Mauser threads on barrel breech. .....done 2022
4) finish ream and headspace 270 chamber deeper.
5) Make tapered sleeve of 1.5" round Aluminum stock for internally tapered bushing to hold barrel in barrel vise

6) modify S45 rear scope base to clear receiver charging hump and to clear bolt handle movement
7) Mill and file bolt handle to clear scope objective
8) Devcon steel putty epoxy scope bases with modified AR riser as fixture
9) Verify scope base mounting with scope with reticle centered is close to Leupold Zero Point modified for flashlight illumination

10) Modify bottom metal for 0.050" deeper seating of magazine catch spring
11) Assemble and rivet together bottom metal hinge and magazine catch and peen Aluminum rivets

12) make front action screw spacer washer 0.030" thick, 0.255 ID, 0.373" OD, for action bedding with bottom metal not touching receiver
13) make the rear pillar on the lathe by boring out 3/8" steel tubing 0.255 ID, 1.127" length so the magazine does not touch the receiver
14) Inlet stock for barrel with 3/4" gunline inletting tool
15) Inlet stock for receiver, bottom metal,
16) Verify bottom metal with pillar and washer tightly assembled on stock and barrel installed all have clearance before bedding
17) rough outside or rear pillar so epoxy will grip.
18) 5 minute epoxy bed receiver bottom, recoil lug, rear pillar, and bottom metal

19) clearance stock and bottom metal for Bold trigger clearance
20) Bend trigger safety to clear bolt sleeve during in and out

21) fit 1" Walnut butt extension for more length of pull and to give the slip on recoil pad something to grip.

Attachments

• 270 1938 Turkish Mauser 20220201_084525.jpg
    270 1938 Turkish Mauser 20220201_084525.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
UPDATE:
Way back last year, when Black Friday sales were going on, I decided to buy an Oryx chassis. Mostly because I could save a bunch of dough and I was just not in love with the wood stock.
The drawback to the sale was I had to wait for MDT to catch up on their production. So 4 months later (Today) the Oryx finally shows up. I coated the barreled action in SOCOM Black and got all of it put back together.
I was also lucky enough to get my hands on some Nosler 150 Gr. 277 ABLR's (G1 of just under .600) which according to my load data should launch at about 2900 FPS. I think that's gonna be fun to see how far I can lob them.
Now gotta locate an AICS Long action mag...Hand feeding until then.

oryx.jpg

High Brass, do you have any shooting Data yet? I am dying to know what bullets you are running, powder type and velocity. Can you let me know what distance you used for zero and how many minutes you came up at 1,000 yds?

I have just started proving out loads with the 150 ABLRs@100 Yds.
I had an issue with the scope running out of windage and still being off an inch @ 100 yds.
The Arken scope seems to not have much adjustment left & right?
I may wind up swapping in some Primary Arms glass.
Its on my list and I will keep you posted!

I have just started proving out loads with the 150 ABLRs@100 Yds.
I had an issue with the scope running out of windage and still being off an inch @ 100 yds.
The Arken scope seems to not have much adjustment left & right?
I may wind up swapping in some Primary Arms glass.
Its on my list and I will keep you posted!
The 6-24 has 10 mils windage adjustment, admittedly, that isn't a bunch, however, I think you have something else going on, like screw holes out of alignment. The other models have more windage adjustment.
You CAN use the Burris rings with inserts and use them for windage instead of elevation.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
Following, great looking guns! I'm updating a sentimental 270 win currently, it's on a Vanguard action. Ordered a 22" 1:8 Carbon Six barrel (always suppressed) and a Stocky's stock. In wait mode now.

I wanted to shoot the newer Nosler 165s and don't reload so I ordered some custom ammo. Looking at the load data I'm thinking the advertised velocity is greatly inflated damnit. All things considered I the factory 145s will be hard to beat. Long live the 270 👍

Reactions: markwente
I finally gave up on trying to get the Arken to work for me on this rifle.
I happen to be a dealer for Blackhound Optics and just got in the latest 3-18x50.
I did a laser sight in and already know it will work just fine. Since it is a 30mm tube. I was able to use a DNZ 20 MOA mount. Say what you want about mounts, but the DNZ stuff just works every time without issues.
I should be able to get some range time tomorrow. I will use the Magnetospeed to get data on my 145 ELDs and the 150 ABLRs.
If you are following I apologize...Too many guns ...too many projects...

Reactions: Frankr and P&Y
Day at the range was a good learning day.
I am learning that I may not be very fond of the ergos on the Oryx chassis.
I also learned that Hybrid 100v may not be the best powder for .270 Win.
I got really good groups with my Sierra 130 gr sp. Got some partial good groups with 145 ELDXs
good so -so groups with Nosler 140 BTs
my load for the 150 ABLRS(50.8Gr) was clocking 3200+FPS and I was getting cratered primers with ejector swipe. Had really snappy recoil that was not pleasant. Shots were vey randomly scattered on the target... Not what I wanted at all.
The ELDXs actually shot pretty good...Except for 1 flyer. just a hair over 3000 Fps. The Nosler 140s were shooting pretty good but also had a couple of flyers. The surprise was the 130 Gr. Sierra SPs. Also at 3000 Fps nice little bughole.
I think a slower powder will help some of these issues so ...Back to the bench. I have some Win 6.5 StaBal that may work well, but I know it will cost me some velocity. I have some MagPro that I may try as well..

Reactions: Jack's Dad
Wow those 150s were cooking! Glad you made some progress and got some range time.

I guess I have gotten a bit jaded. Last few rifles have put together just came together without many issues. Then tried a few loads and bullets and picked the best of the bunch
This 270 has been busting my balls at every turn. Not sure why but this one seems to be my karmic retribution. At least I'm getting bullets downrange.

280 Remington? 7mm Express Remington?
Why not do a POA job on it while you are at it?

Browning ended up making a factory 270 win with a 1-7.5 twist 28" barrel which was close enough to what i was looking to build i went that direction. I purchased a couple hundred rounds of the Berger 170grain .277 diam bullets. What powder do you guys think is going to push these the fastest and most consistent velocity?

Attachments

• 20230923_161134.jpg
    20230923_161134.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 57
  • Untitled picture.jpg
    Untitled picture.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Tikkaguy
Question, who would you recommend to do a re barrel for a 1-7 twist on a 270, I have two and one is a safe queen, would be fun to make build one up.

Question, who would you recommend to do a re barrel for a 1-7 twist on a 270, I have two and one is a safe queen, would be fun to make build one up.
I believe Bartlein Barrels will make any barrel you want since they are about the only barrel company left that will produce rifling with a gain twist rate if you want which tells me they don't just do huge runs of barrels but will rifle them to your specifications. To order barrel you have to call them.
Good Luck and keep this thread posted.