• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 28 Nosler vs 300WM for elk

nexusfire

Secks fi millimeet
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
I am wanting to build an elk hunting rig that runs a suppressor so barrel length is a factor. Also factory ammo availability is also a factor. Any of you guys have experience with both. I also would be letting my 14year old son shoot it. Any help is appreciated.

Both will cleanly take any elk that ever lived out to any reasonable distance.

The real question is barrel length and brass/ammo availability . WM does better with shorter barrels, brass and ammo is ALWAYS available. 28 Nosler really likes a longer barrel and brass availability is often sketchy at best . Factory ammo is generally available online but good luck finding it on the shelf at a store .

You'll need a brake on either if a 14 year old is going to shoot it without flinching. I'd suggest getting him his own gun to shoot 280rem, 7mm08, 260rem all have light recoil almost no recoil with a brake. If a young person ever starts flinching it is hell to get them to stop. But if your hell bent on it whichever you get, get a brake or a can, and some sort of recoil reducing stock.

You'll need a brake on either if a 14 year old is going to shoot it without flinching. I'd suggest getting him his own gun to shoot 280rem, 7mm08, 260rem all have light recoil almost no recoil with a brake. If a young person ever starts flinching it is hell to get them to stop. But if your hell bent on it whichever you get, get a brake or a can, and some sort of recoil reducing stock.
He shot his elk this year with a 6.5 creedmoor but it took 3 shots in the bread basket at 500 yards. He has shot a cheap load of p dogs and has good fundamentals. Looking for something with a little more sectional density. It would be used with a can.

OP's first sentence " I am wanting to build an elk hunting rig that runs a suppressor so barrel length is a factor."\

I'd take a look at 300wsm or 7saum. 7Saum might be harder to find factory ammo but I love my 300wsm with TBAC ultra 7, its a stellar gun. It's taken 2 mule deer one at 180 yards neck shot and another at 630yds through the lungs. At 630 it had a pencil size hole going in and a thumb size hole going out, it dropped dead on the spot and internals were jelly.

I also believe that adding a break and making your rifle loud and unpleasant to fire is more likely to induce a flinch as opposed to a suppressor which changes the recoil impulse and makes it much more pleasant to fire the rifle. A suppressor isn't as effective as a break but shooting suppressed usually help with accuracy/precision.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have 0 experience with what a suppressor does for felt recoil however, I have an abundance of experience teaching kids to shoot. Just wanted to stress avoiding getting the whole flenching thing started. I'll read more carefully next time sir.

No worries. Adding a suppressor can take a rifle that kicks pretty good and turns it into a long slower push. I find that when shooting with just a break i eventually start to flinch cause i anticipate the muzzle blast. Throw on the suprresor and you can focus on fundamentals, and it makes it so pleasant to shoot. Best way to start a kid is with a suppressor. Makes it like they're shooting a .22 I don't mind recoil, i really don't like the blast concussion. I've suppressed most of my rifles, everything from .22 to .375 cheytac.