• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.280 Remington in Stainless? Remington CDL SF, or...?

Will_Power

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2012
An Okie in Orygun
Hey guys,

Could use your wisdom and input.

I've been batting around the idea of getting a bolt gun with a .280 Remington. Preferably with a stainless action and barrel as I live on the wet side of the Cascades.

There's a guy on a local forum selling a Rem. 700 CDL Stainless Fluted (the "special edition" variety from c. 2010 - big whoopity do). It's got a full 24" magnum contour (fluted) barrel, so that's pretty appealing.

I know that Remmingtons get mentioned as a good "starter" rifle or that the stocks need to get tossed and need bluprinting immediately, etc.

But what about this "high end" CDL model? Go / No-go?

And as a corollary to my original question, is there any other way to get into a .280 Remington with a stainless action and stainless, heavier contour 24"/26" barrel? I've been sticking with looking at Remington's due to their ubiquity, but am open to other options.

I don't want to spend $900 bucks if $3-400 of that is going just to the stock that I'll eventually replace anyway after I get decent glass!

I'm not interested in the Remington Mountain model's shorter lightweight barrel.

Would prefer not to spend more than a grand on the rifle itself, and under $800 would be even better. At my skill level (or lack thereof), I think I'd best be served by a factory stock heavy barrel and spending the rest of the money on ammo and handloading components.