• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.280 Remington

grizzlybar

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2012
Been trowing around in my head, what to re-barrel my Parker-hale mauser action rifle, presently chambered in .270 Win.!
I've been considering 30-06 , ,284 etc. the .280 looks pretty interesting considering ballistics to & beyond 1,000 yds. !
What coal are people running with the .280 remington with the heavier slugs like 180 grain?

Re: .280 Remington

I haven't come across people running that heavy a bullet in .280s - - but doesnt mean it cant be done i suppose. I tested up to 175 but settled on 160s. Just my comfort / accuracy level. The COAL will vary dependent upon the bullet, but the book max on the 160s is 3.33ish. With the heavier bullets you'll probably be under that

Thanks much from all , that's good news if I decide to go 280 remington my magazine is 3.4 " !
Dallas how far do you shoot your .280?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whoknows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Dallas how far do you shoot your .280? </div></div>

I havent really shot it past 200 for dope. its just a stock browning ive got in the safe in case i need a lighter rifle for a mtn hunt someday. it was my first rifle. a few years back i built a .25-06 and i mostly use it. have a .300 wm that should be done any day. wish i had more feedback for you. it is a good cartridge thats often overlooked nowadays

Tyc why the long coal? How much would going with less coal decrease accuracy?