• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

285 ELD-M .338 lapua Load development quandary

I had an ever so light shiny spot from the ejector in my 285gr load above. Couldn't feel a difference in the bolt lift and couldn't feel a ridge on those shiny spots with a finger nail once I got home.

Shooting in mid-50s yesterday, but I plan to take a few rounds out when it gets warmer before I take it to a match.
I'VE NOTICED THOSE SHINY MARKS ON THE BRASS BEFORE WHEN SHOOTING VIRGIN BRASS...CHALK IT UP TO EXCESSIVE HEADSPACE, ONCE YOU SIZE YOUR BRASS TO LESS HEADSPACE YOU SHOULDN'T GET THOSE UNLESS YOU ARE SHOOTING A HOT LOAD IMO.

New guy here on the form who's also looking for load data on the 285 ELD but using IMR-8133. I've had very good results with 8133 using a 250gr. HPBT under 99.5gr of 8133. My crono is showing an average of 2908fps and it really slams the steel at 1000 yards. Like everyone else on this post seems to be using Retumbo which I also have achieved my most accurate grouping at 200 yards (.20") with the 250gr. HPBT. So, has anyone worked up any loads using IMR-8133 with the 285-ELD's?

My setup:
Ruger RPR 338 Lapua
Primary Arms Platnum 5x30x56

So I'm just getting started reloading with my savage elite precision 338 lapua 30" barrel. Using these rounds, hornady brass, federal 215 primers, and h1000 powder I'm wondering if 89.6 gr. Is the full on max powder load or or if there's a little wiggle. I'm hoping to get 3000, have chronographed factory 270 gr hornadys at 2975 at the muzzle. Any advice is greatly appreciated

So I'm just getting started reloading with my savage elite precision 338 lapua 30" barrel with a 1:9.25 twist. Using these rounds, hornady brass, federal 215 primers, and h1000 powder I'm wondering if 89.6 gr. Is the full on max powder load or or if there's a little wiggle. I'm hoping to get 3000, have chronographed factory 270 gr hornadys at 2975 at the muzzle. Any advice is greatly appreciated

My advice is do not try to get 3000 ft./s out of a 285 ELD with H 1000 - even with Hornady brass (which has a grain or so more capacity than Lapua, the industry standard). Reloading for a velocity target is a fool‘s errand. If you want higher velocity you should be using RETUMBO or n570 - or get a longer barrel. In addition to velocity, accuracy and velocity standard deviation are extremely important for extreme long range shooting. I would reconsider your goals, Or at least the means (choice of powder, barrel length) that you have chosen to pursue them.