• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up 29 palms / joshua tree / palm springs

what days would you want to shoot camp

• march 23-24 w/ sun being the primary day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shoot Saturday, who cares beyond that

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dspjaggar

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2018
29 palms ca
trying to see if there are any other shooters out here. Im out in 29 palms and have a spot i set up 500-1000 and can set up to a mile + but havent been able to get a good return with the LRF i have past 1k. i get out once or twice a month and shoot a 6.5 and got 2 guys that come out fairly often as well both with .300 WM. anyone in the area or wants to make the trip to get some longer range in let me know. i have a full 18x30 sillouette and round targets from 10-3 inches. range is also in a good place for yote hunting so i often will set up a stand or 2 in the morning and transition to a range day after.

Did someone say "Desert shooting extravaganza!?!?"

Will there be camping, BBQ (or MRE's lol) and beer involved?

Edit: I too have a spot that can go from pistol/carbine to 1500+. My 300WM crazy friend had me on steel at 1685 last time.

Did someone say "Desert shooting extravaganza!?!?"

Will there be camping, BBQ (or MRE's lol) and beer involved?

Edit: I too have a spot that can go from pistol/carbine to 1500+. My 300WM crazy friend had me on steel at 1685 last time.

MREs make your body as effictive as good ole rocket man, who wouldnt want that.

the more steel the better. ive been wanting to set up multiple targets at different distances and actually set up a PRS type stage, but havent built the target stands to support yet. been taking a financial break from building my range lately. just got a batch of 250 rounds in and want to get out again.

MREs make your body as effictive as good ole rocket man, who wouldnt want that.

the more steel the better. ive been wanting to set up multiple targets at different distances and actually set up a PRS type stage, but havent built the target stands to support yet. been taking a financial break from building my range lately. just got a batch of 250 rounds in and want to get out again.

I just ordered 80 rounds of 147 grain ELD M from Hornady. That should be here in a few days. I have a bunch of prime 130 grain, and looking to fine-tune my own 147 eld-m load.

When were you wanting to head out? I would like it to be somewhat warm and comfortable I dont want to freeze my ass off again see attached photo. :)
IMG_20181208_0802252.jpg

What are the logistics like? Pm me if you don’t want to air it in public.

I've never been to this area. @dspjaggar is the one familiar with it. But, in general, you pack your own gear, food, etc (unless we coordinate prior), drive on out.... We meet at a rally point or whatever the designated GPS coordinates are.

I'll defer to the OP for the actual location.

I've never been to this area. @dspjaggar is the one familiar with it. But, in general, you pack your own gear, food, etc (unless we coordinate prior), drive on out.... We meet at a rally point or whatever the designated GPS coordinates are.

I'll defer to the OP for the actual location.

Ok cool man. Is 4x4/high clearance needed? Staying over night?

Blm land
I just ordered 80 rounds of 147 grain ELD M from Hornady. That should be here in a few days. I have a bunch of prime 130 grain, and looking to fine-tune my own 147 eld-m load.

When were you wanting to head out? I would like it to be somewhat warm and comfortable I dont want to freeze my ass off again see attached photo. :)View attachment 7023904

I'm definitely for not freezing my ass off, and the weather isn't looking to warm up just yet. So it may be a few weeks. The wind has been terrible lately as well. Went out 2 weeks ago and had winds vary from 10-25 with gust to the 30s. Was tough even at 500.

I'm busy with work for the next 2 weeks for sure. We can try to reevaluate weather conditions in another week or so and hopefully it plays out.

Cell Service is spotty at best at location, but is easy to find. It's between 29 palms and Amboy
34°15'56.5"N 115°42'18.2"W

https://goo.gl/maps/XFrgUaZfBMB2

Pin for reference. I'm down to share

As far as logistics, and camping go. It's on blm land so you can camp. And i may be down for that if the weather isn't dumb.

Ok cool man. Is 4x4/high clearance needed? Staying over night?

I have a huge 2 wheel drive van. And I almost got stuck on a side road that i use to hang the targets. The main drag is ok as long as you aren't super low. 4x4 makes life easier to turn around. Otherwise it's a good drive down the road to turn around or a long reverse session

Pics of van stuck while scouting an alternate location for reference.
20190127_124423.jpg

If others have steel and stands we could definitely set up some cool stages. I have a barricade i usually bring out that has a high and low position.

Let me know what y'all think

Roger. I have a 2WD Silverado. The we should be good. As far as dates go I am thinking mid-to-late March should be good to go

Amboy, eh? I remember when I was with my Marines doing training at 29 Palms that was the only area where we would carry live ammo on watch.... tweekers aplenty out there.

That time frame sounds good ish. Gives me time to figure out wtf is going on. I know i have a lot going on but most of it is already planned out just have to check the work calendar

I'm gonna pick up these for my T-Posts. I have 2 8-10" steel round plates and a 1/2 size IPSC silhouette.

(Edit: add photo because I'm a 'tard sometimes)
Screenshot_20190212-202336.png

Reactions: dspjaggar
I might be down in March/April to camp, I’ve got plenty of steel. Need to get some good dope past a mile for a new 6.5prc. I’ll spread the word to the guys in our club for a camping trip if that’s all good

Reactions: dspjaggar
I might be down in March/April to camp, I’ve got plenty of steel. Need to get some good dope past a mile for a new 6.5prc. I’ll spread the word to the guys in our club for a camping trip if that’s all good

'Murica. This is going to be a 2A Festivus!!!

I'll even do a down and dirty TCCC/first aid gig for anyone interested. Fun shit.

Last edited:
The proposed location is here: 34.271687,-115.698378
Screenshot_20190213-011044.png

Based on the topographic of the area....
Should be a gentle downhill grade from SE to NW... about 250' down over the span of a mile... about 2.7 degrees down. Not bad.

Screenshot_20190213-012550.png

Standard imagery shows a whole Lotta nuthin out there...

Screenshot_20190213-012954.png

Screenshot_20190213-013159.png

Last edited:
That spot is 2.5 hours away from me. Worth the drive if we can get some serious distance.

ive shot from 500 to 1k and a little beyond. past that gets tricky due to the amount of scrub brush trying to find a clear lane is difficult.
there is another little bit of elevation thats to the left of where i currently place targets. would give us more distance without moving back would be a bigger angle but still doable. im not too far from the location i can zoom back out there and scout and confirm longer distances.
whats the farthest anyone would want to shoot and i can see what we can come up with.

my current target is on elevation where the pin was dropped for reference

That dirt road angling off Amboy Rd. is Pipeline Rd. Goes all the way to Needles via Cadiz

So i guess in theory we could shoot from needles haha. The road is essentially the firing line. You can see any vehicle approaching and cease fire safely. I've only ever had one vehicle come down the road while I was there

Last edited:
So i guess in theory we could shoot from needles haha. The road is essentially the firing line. You can see any vehicle approaching and cease fire safely. I've only ever had one vehicle come down the road while I was there
Is there a solid backstop? Are we shooting at an angle?

would post the KMZ if site allowing it, but here is essentially what we could be looking at. currently i have shot at tgt 1 from both proposed shooting locations and a few in between. definitely a solid backstop and there is a slight up hill grade. im going to jam out there the next few weeks and see about feasibility for this and beyond. last time i tried going further we had problems seeing the tgt at location 1. loc 2, 3 and 4 have more elevation and should be more easily visible but want to confirm. i only took video from the 500 yard line and you can clearly see location for tgt 5 which leads me to believe it will be a better spot for a tgt when moving further out. also up for another location if yall would rather i just dont like populated places and this rarely sees people.
amboy rarnge .JPG

Reactions: kriller134
That’s awesome! I’m totally down for this spot. If we plan on camping let me know I gotta clear that with the work and more importantly the wife.

So, are we thinking of heading out on a Friday, staying overnight, then coming back Saturday?

Or

Going out Saturday, coming back Sunday?

im good with saturday. will try to check my calendar at work today been slammed lately. thinking the 16th or the 23rd though

yea, just checked my work calendar and I may or may not be out of town the 16th wont know till last min so the 23rd and 24th will be better for me to plan around

Reactions: clcustom1911
So, are we down to pencil in March 23/24?

If down, reply with, "I'm down"

(Should be a great social experiment to see if peeps read this whole thread ??)

Last edited: