• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 3 Gun optic advice

RedRaider271

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
DFW Texas
Getting ready to start trying a 3 gun comp. I was looking at aimpoint red dots, just curious if anyone has tried using these in a 3 gun match....what your opinions are, good or bad for 3 gun.

Re: 3 Gun optic advice

You really need to go to a local 3 gun match and see what folks are running and how the stages are setup and see if you can look through some of the competitors rigs.

Many 3 gun matches have close IPSC sized and distant small targets in which case many shooters have two optics. A 1-4x scope up top and a small red dot mounted at about 1:30 on a pic rail on the handguard area ..something like a Docter or Burris Fastfire.

I love Aimpoint products but in this case there may be better options.

Inevitably, you will be standing there saying, "I sure wish I had some magnification..."

I have been using a Meopta for awhile and am very pleased with it. It is one of the few with a true daylight visable red dot and is a true 1 to 4x scope. Found mine for $650 a year or so ago.

http://swfa.com/Meopta-1-4x22-Meostar-R1-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P7999.aspx

Also, it depends on the rules of your three gun match, but many only allow one optic (so no red dot on the side) or it will throw you into an "Open" division where you compete against folks with 38 super race pistols and shottys with 10 rounds mags and such.

Get what your budget allows and have fun!

You also need to consider which class you want to play in-two optics puts you in a different class than one optic and a mech sight....

Thanks for the advice, I have been wanting to go and watch or shoot in a match before buying a whole bunch of equipment, most of what all I have read said the 1-4 is a good option depending on how match is set up... anyone know of matches coming up around Texas/Oklahoma for March April...I have been looking for a place to try my first match.

What's your price range? Lots of decent 1-4xs out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stmcelroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are on a budget and don't need an illuminated reticule, check out Weaver's 1-3 scope.

Great optic for less than $150. </div></div>

I was just gonna post the same thing.

You need to know what they are shooting at your local matches though. Some matches don't really have long range stages because they don't have the room so 100 yards is your longest shoot. If that the case with your local matches then an aimpoint or eotech would work just fine, but once the distance starts stretching out past 100 yards you will start wishing for some magnification.

I started with an Eotech and then went to a Meopta R1-KD and then a Trijicon accupoint TR21 and then a Millet DMS-1 and I have finally settled on a Burris XTR14. All of them had good points but in the end I have found the Burris works the best for me. I still have the TR21 on my 450 Bushmaster I use for hunting and while I haven't used the little weaver in 3-gun I have one on a lite weight AR I built for chasing coyotes and javelina for the same reasons that they would be good for 3-gun. At 1x it's fast for close action but it has 3x magnification for those longer shots.

Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x.

If you want to save some cash, the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x is also very good.

Great glass, great reticle choices, tough I'm partial to the Green Triangle.

There are many serviceable scopes out there that will let you get started in 3 Gun but there are two features that I think separate a good scope from an excellent scope with respect to being optimal for 3 Gun.

True 1x-4x power. Yes there are quite a few folks running 1.+x scopes but your personal ability to use the bottom end can vary.

Daylight Visible Illumination. When you are shooting extremely fast, close targets it is invaluable. Also helpful at distance when shooting targets that vary in color or are place in shade, brush, etc.

I played with Vortex's scope at SHOT and pending seeing the production models I would definitely put it on my list.

I've used the Burris fastfire for comps and it worked great and was fast. Max yardage I used it at was 150 with no problem. I'm gonna put a weaver 1x3 on it this year. If you go with a scope, make sure you go with a true 1x. A 1.1x doesn't seem like it would be a big deal but when shooting with both eyes open, it makes a huge difference.

The new S&B 1-8 rocks and will be a great 3 gun optic.

I am using the S&B 1-4 short dot right now but will be moving to this great optic next!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new S&B 1-8 rocks and will be a great 3 gun optic.

I am using the S&B 1-4 short dot right now but will be moving to this great optic next!! </div></div>

Any idea on the 1-8 price? I'm imagining its either close to 3k or slightly over?

No clue on price yet but the thing i love its a dot from 1-4 then from 4 -8 power it turns into a mildot reticle for you to use for holds and long range precision shots!!

Ya thats what I've been hearing. And that excites me.

The dot for me always works perfect out to 100-200 yards, but sucks any farther. And a reticle was never fast for me that close range.

As long as the price isn't completely absurd like the Leupolds is echo'ing to be I'm in for one.

Basically exactly what I need for my OBR.

Looking at the Short Dot prices now I would venture to guess a price tag of $2500-2700 for the new 1-8x short dot. Played with it at SHOT and really liked it alot. I have a 1.1-4x Short Dot being delivered today but when the 1-8x comes out it will find a home on the POF.

2500-2700 would be a nice placement since its S&B. 3k+ for a leupold....I don't care how awesome it is, is insane.

I agree. Leupold seems to be going up in price but not in quality.

Has anyone seen a release date for them yet, and how was the weight?

The weight wasn't bad. Not much more than the standard Short Dot. Release date is looking like end of May.

Just got my S&B 1.1-4x20 Short Dot for my POF and thought I would throw up a few pics. Gonna get out tomorrow and zero it.
P3150515.jpg

P3150516.jpg

P3150521.jpg

Just a warning, I suck at through the scope pics so take these for what they are and don't hold it against S&B LOL

Reticle on 4x with illumination on 6
P3150519.jpg

Reticle on 1.1x with reticle on 10. It's pretty bright so I would turn it down a little for use but it's easy to pick up.
P3150520.jpg

To the OP,

Money being no object, the S&B Short Dot is awesome.

I ran an ACOG for a long time and did VERY well with it. That said, I started playing the Trijicon TR-21 (I think) with red triangle. 1.25-4x and it was cool. Picked up a Meopta off a prize table and never looked back.

For a couple hundred bucks more you have a safari grade scope that can take a beating, glass is awesome and the reticle is very friendly (K-Dot Reticle).

I can highly recommend either CS Tactical or SWFA to get you squared away.

Rich

i have 2 guns that i use one has a 4x Acog on it and the other a 1.5x5 leupold.

they both work good but an open sight on the side for up close works with them both

For 3 gun it is pretty rare to get 350-400 yd targets with much regularity and then it is only at a couple of matches. 1x-4x gives you plenty of magnification.

I am a big fan of the Meopta KDot as well. The scope does so many 3Gun oriented tasks so well it makes it very difficult to justify scopes that cost more but do less.