• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 best ban for the buck

savageeaglenavy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2012
After much consideration and thought into re barreling my savage 110 I have decided to use what I have and focus my money on my wife's new found love for the shooting sport. So in a nut shell for my future happiness and ability to get more of the cool stuff because she wants to also I am sticking with the 30-06. So here is the question what in your experience is the best round as in bullet weight for the 30-06. Within the next year I rather my wife want to get a Dillion 550 which was a surprise to me but she said that I had to get my own. So until then should I stick with the 175 Grains or is there something better. This will be used for distance shooting and come deer season it will need to be an accurate killi g machine not to exceed 300 yards. I only say that as I do as of now do not feel comfortable beyond that distance.

not a thing wrong with 175 in a 06 - but then there is also use / fans for 145 gr - 208 gr

to me the 175 SMK is a great value, at only 3 $ more than 168 for a box of 500 - going to 190 gr or others is a much greater price jump

Of course all guns are different and like different loads. The '06 is no different. Captain Edward Lewis was big on shooting the '06 in target rifles. Below is a list of bullets he found that worked in the target Springfields from his book, "The Book of the Springfield", May give you a good starting point.

1903%20bullet%20accuracy.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought since I am talking about a savage -06 does anyone recommend a good barrel that would facilitate LR better than the stock. I know there is another section for this just thought I would throw that out there.

most Savage sporter barrels shoot under moa
Savage used to make a 3006 tactical-fat barrel
check the forums -plenty savage takeoffs around in .308
Criterian is a good aftermarket prefit
so is Shilen, & M'cgowan