• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.30-06 conspiracy

OldSalty2

Just a salty OG liberal.
Minuteman
  • Aug 29, 2020
    So I have noticed that while ammo supply has fully recovered, one very popular caliber seems to have fallen off....30-06.

Before covid and mass hysteria you could find all types of .30-06 ammo, ranging from a wide variety of hunting to match cartridges. I was routinely snagging boxes of FGMM 168's for 22-24 a box.

It seems like the ammo manufacturers are trying to do away with The Lord's caliber...

Probably shifted production to cartridges that are more popular/profitable. That's the reasoning I've heard for the shortage or target shotshells.

still can get some of that greek surplus 150gr good for the m1 ammo online , just your going to pay out the wazoo for it . or you could reload your own you can run a lot of powders in a 30-06 , and bullets are not hard to get a hold of .

I've noticed the same with the lowly 30-30. Shelves are still empty and I expected to see them restocked with deer season, but not so much. It's available, but you have to pay out the nose for it. Time to go buy a set of 30-30 dies, which I never expected to have to do.

My guess is manufacturers are probably putting resources into the caliber(s) du jour, the Creedmoors, PRCs, etc. After the past few years, I bought dies for every caliber I shoot and that close friends shoot, just in case. Although, I did spend less on what the friends shoot by buying Lee dies, on sale.

• Haha
    Reactions: Jumper
    So I have noticed that while ammo supply has fully recovered, one very popular caliber seems to have fallen off....30-06.

Before covid and mass hysteria you could find all types of .30-06 ammo, ranging from a wide variety of hunting to match cartridges. I was routinely snagging boxes of FGMM 168's for 22-24 a box.

It seems like the ammo manufacturers are trying to do away with The Lord's caliber...
    Yikes, I don't know I'd say fully recovered. Recovered yes; but fully? No way. As you've pointed out -06. Try anything "fancy" off the shelf in 270 win or something "new" like 6mm ARC. Either one cannot find it; or it's mayb 10% cheaper than peak.

The popular stuff (45, 9, 223, etc) is easy to find now; but 38 spl is still high as a kite!! I doubt we'll ever see prices fall much now that Bidenomics has taken over and looks to be here for a few more years.

Aught 6 is gods caliber

th

I don't buy much factory anymore, really just shotgun for sporting clays and such. Thinking hard about reloading for shotgun but the "shortages" have hit them hard as well.

I had a heck of a time finding brass for 3006. Ended up paying (I THINK) $200 for 100 bits of brass, I thought insane, but if you have to have it you have to have it.

Been using it for my old '03 springfield. Sure is fun to shoot, hopefully this weekend.

The other thing I have noticed is things like 38spl, just hard to come by. Past that all the factory shells for 20-12 for clays are hard to find, and 16, just forget about it.

Say what you want. Grandma's kill list is much longer and she is still running. Who was the dude over on LRH that was taking a 30-06 a mile and past? He was a serious shooter too, a no-bs guy.

Put a trijicon 5-50 on a 1960s Era Parker-Hale target rifile and took it out to 1300 yards. I'm by no means a pro and would never claim such or even brag about my non-existent-skills. But was consistently hitting the 2 MOA target, while others struggled mightly with their boutique calibers. When finally asked what caliber I was using the other folks looked at me like I was either lying or had 8 eyeballs.

Not the best caliber for that scenario but capable of hits further than many might think.

Eta: that was with 168gr FGMM factory ammo....

How many of you guys have sent more than 20rds of 30-06 down range this year?
    Many more than 20, playing with an 03A3 Springfield and my first “worked on “ hunting rifle a old 77mk2 . After a few years of setting in the safe after years of being the go to hunting rifle the old girl got a new scope and new stock. Still a shooter and still the answer to many questions

Reactions: vinniedelpino
    Have to go with the money.
    The "average" 30-30 owner is buying one box every five years. :D:(

I used to shoot tons of .30-06, loved to shoot it in tactical rifle and 3 gun matches, making many many 30 round mag'd AR shooters feel shame and embarrassment. ("Pling!") ;)

That was right up till my last match when I figured out the (then) current cost of replacing the ammo. "Hmm... with match fees and ammo, it cost me $375 to shoot this club match. Yeah, I don't think I'll do this anymore." :cry:

Last edited:
    no way! go 280 AI
    Oh, the 280AI is still a go…already gathering components and have the dies, just thinking about another, or at least a new spare 30-06 barrel.

30-06 (at least with factory loads) just weren’t giving me enough over my .308 to continue loading. Didn’t really expect to start down the 7mm path with the 280AI, but here we are!

Gonna be a fun learning curve.

I've sent about 100 down range so far this year..... but it's just now getting to the part of the year when it's enjoyable again.
    Cool. Now how many 6.5/6mm pills have you sent?

30-06 rifles probably outnumber most other calibers 10 to one. Every has one, but I don't see many people shooting them at the range.

People are paying $50 a box for 6.5 prc on gunbroker and it's few and far between on shelves. 30-06 runs half that and I can still pick it up at walmart. The COGS to produce a round of PRC is about the same as the ought six. The math just doesn't work.

Reactions: MadDuner

30-06 rifles probably outnumber most other calibers 10 to one. Every has one, but I don't see many people shooting them at the range.

People are paying $50 a box for 6.5 prc on gunbroker and it's few and far between on shelves. 30-06 runs half that and I can still pick it up at walmart. The COGS to produce a round of PRC is about the same as the ought six. The math just doesn't work.
    "pills"

Reported. I hope the ban is permanent.

LmpwZw

Probably about the same number.
    But it was 6.5 Grendel! LOL

I sent lots and lots of .308, 300BO, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 5.56x45, .45, 9mm, with some 12-gauge, 10mm, .357, .44, down range this year along with a few hundred .22s with the kids.

I'm an equal opportunity ammo waster.
    Zero .40 or 6.5 Creed this year at all.

I've noticed the same with the lowly 30-30. Shelves are still empty and I expected to see them restocked with deer season, but not so much. It's available, but you have to pay out the nose for it. Time to go buy a set of 30-30 dies, which I never expected to have to do.
    This is what happens when the Fudds discover prepping and realize ArmyJerry was right all along! ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Hell, I’ve added 2 rifles chambered in 30-06 in just the past year and a half to the collection. Factory ammo is in thick supply here locally.

Reactions: jrassy
    This is what happens when the Fudds discover prepping and realize ArmyJerry was right all along! ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Yeah, I get this when it comes to the semi-auto rifle and pistol calibers.

And while I have a "couple" boxes of FGMM hanging out, I am much more conservative now with its use. Because even when it is available it's outrageously priced.

I do have a "decent" amount of 06 brass however 😀...

Yeah, I get this when it comes to the semi-auto rifle and pistol calibers.

And while I have a "couple" boxes of FGMM hanging out, I am much more conservative now with its use. Because even when it is available it's outrageously priced.

I do have a "decent" amount of 06 brass however 😀...
    Those of us with multiple m1919's (and the like) *may* have a somewhat distorted view of what a "decent" amount of '06 brass might be, however. In case you are wondering where it all is ;-)

Just 'sayin.

Sirhr

What about .410?

Who the hell is buying all of that up??? The Taurus Judge crowd?
    I bet those components are getting used for 12ga and some 20ga. Anybody that goes through a bunch of 410 (skeetshooters) is reloading them.

Got a few of the big coffee cans full of 06 brass that I snagged from White Sands last time I was there.
    At the time they had dumpsters full of expended brass 5.56, 308, 06, 9mm and 45acp each had a specific dumpster.
    50 cal and bigger was a different range that I didn't get to, so dunno bout that stuff ?
    I luvs me some 06 with 4350 and a 208 amax, it will shoot wayyyyy out there.

No problem finding it around here, I bought a couple boxes of 150gr softpoint PRVI for my Fudd9000 the other day.

PRS matches ‘round here are restricted to short action cartridges.

That said, deer season is saved in SE Texas. I’ve visually confirmed that the local Academy has 10 flavors of 30-06, 7 flavors of 270 win, and 3 of 30-30. There’s also a couple different loading of 350 legend and 450 bushmaster, for those straight wall cartridge only counties in Indiana (wtf?).

Also of note (though uncounted) were 243 win, 22-250, 357 mag, 38 spl, 5.7x28 (at least 2 diff loads), and .410 shot shells. This is in addition to the usual suspects; 9mm Luger, 45 acp, 10 mm auto, 223/5.56, 6.5 CM, 308 win, 300BO, rimfire (assorted), and 12 and 20 ga shot shells. Gone but not forgotten was 6.5 Grendel. There is someone around here (other than me) hoarding that one.

Reactions: lash
    I'd take all 3 of those 30 cal gals to Pound Town and make Creedmoor watch.

Mike

You got it.
    Clockwise from top right:
    Buff, with rock your world performance.

Built for comfort, not built for speed, got everything a good boy needs.

Old but you can't tell, she can teach you things you never imagined.

Gay!

Lots of 30-06 on the shelf here, and 300WM, which I’m currently shooting. Merica!!