• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 30 Cal K cans on 5.56 SBRs

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    Looking to file form 1s for my pistols. One is 8.3" 300blk the other is an 11.5" 5.56. I've been dead set on the Rugged Micro 30. Just seems to be the best option given what i'm looking for considering both SBRs and the simple fact if i want more reduction i can just go to 6.5" with the ADAPT module is equally appealing. Currently own a 30CB9, Hybrid, and Omega all on the 419 hellfire system. Which i like but really wish Jon would field a brake attach for the same system or a flash hider. Anyhow the idea is to have the micro 30 filed individually with the SBRs instead of the on the trust. Mainly to avoid the hassle of having to drag my family somewhere to a Kiosk given the new regulations. Also to just keep the SBR with me.

So i got to reading and came across the simple issue of 30 cal k configed cans just being loud with SBRs. Not terribly concerned as this is mainly to take the edge off should i ever have to use the damn thing in the house. Also for hunting, where the ADAPT module also plays to it's strengths.

Is it that bad that i should just consider a dedicated 5.56 can like the surefire mini? And leave the 3 cans i have to the blackout?

Nothing scientific here but I’ve played with short 30 and 556 cans. They are all loud. I too was looking at a rugged micro 30 until I came across a really good deal on a sandman-k. I’m just looking to make a 8-10” 300 BLK as short as possible and still be able to run it on other guns. If you’re already ok with the concept and have realistic expectations of a 5” can already then I’d say stick with the 30 cal. Or get a 556 endcap for it for an extra 1-2 dB reduction.

That’s the plan i don’t expect it to be ultra quiet. And want a dedicated AR can that can just QD to a brake/flash hider.

What’s a good deal on the sandman k? I’ve been back and forth between the two. Sandman k is like $550-570 and i know everyone loves the key-mo system. Personally like the aesthetics of the rugged mounts more as there are more options. Dual taper system is nice. And again the ability to lengthen the micro 30 and nearly hit omega levels of suppression is nice.

I’m hoping i can catch a sale on the micro 30 or make a phone call. Seems to be $770 everywhere. Does silencershop dictate pricing where they have their kiosk?

Last edited:
    I have a socom 762 mini that I originally bought for using on sbr's in 556 and 300blk. It's in no way quiet but it does take it down from ear bleading loud and kills most of the blast in the event one has to fire off a few without earpro.

Starting to lean towards the sandman K don't think i'll be able to tell the difference between 2db between it and the Micro 30 in the short config and the Key-mo seems a lot quicker than the rugged. Numbers are similar of course i don't get the modularity but it's also $200 cheaper than than the Micro 30 at the moment.

Starting to lean towards the sandman K don't think i'll be able to tell the difference between 2db between it and the Micro 30 in the short config and the Key-mo seems a lot quicker than the rugged. Numbers are similar of course i don't get the modularity but it's also $200 cheaper than than the Micro 30 at the moment.
    That was my main thing. Quite a bit cheaper and will spend most of its life in shorty mode anyway. There’s various test out there that show flash hiding endcap slightly reduces db as well and the ebrake.

I need to get to the shop with my finger prints and pictures to get that ball rolling. My 300BLK wears a CB brake now for my ultra 7 which is cool and light as hell but I’m in need for another full auto rated can and found my previous cans to be big and heavy. None of them are “hearing safe” out of a gas gun and after some playing around with the shorties I really do think I’ll be happier with the short can.

That was my main thing. Quite a bit cheaper and will spend most of its life in shorty mode anyway. There’s various test out there that show flash hiding endcap slightly reduces db as well and the ebrake.

I need to get to the shop with my finger prints and pictures to get that ball rolling. My 300BLK wears a CB brake now for my ultra 7 which is cool and light as hell but I’m in need for another full auto rated can and found my previous cans to be big and heavy. None of them are “hearing safe” out of a gas gun and after some playing around with the shorties I really do think I’ll be happier with the short can.

I keep going back and forth. I was doing more reading on the Sandman k and saw where people said it was hella loud with a lot of flash. Of course deadair came out with the flash hider endcap that fixed that. Then got to thinking what if i don't like the micro config on the SBR? Well there again the Micro 30 lends itself to another 1.5" give or take. Basically a Razer with the ability to K config. So now i'm thinking Micro 30 again lol. I'm just going to wait see if Rugged offers another promotion like last year with two muzzle devices and an end cap. I certainly wouldn't pass that up even for $770.

Reactions: trob_205
    I just picked up a Sandman-K for $425 new for my 300BO SBR. I’m looking for a short package to take the edge off of it. If I really want quiet I would stick with the Mack Brothers MB762L I have. I may try it out on my 10.5” 5.56 SBR but I have a Mack Brothers MB556FAS for that.

Anyway, the Sandman-K arrived last week and I need to give it a try. It sure when that will happen, maybe next Monday.

Edit: I started with the SiCo Omega 9K on the 300BO but this can is also used on my CZ Scorpion and 9mm pistols. The Sandman-K was less than another Omega 9K and I’m thinking of getting the CZ can to dedicate to the Scorpion leaving the 9K for pistols only.

Last edited:
    I just picked up a Sandman-K for $425 new for my 300BO SBR. I’m looking for a short package to take the edge off of it. If I really want quiet I would stick with the Mack Brothers MB762L I have. I may try it out on my 10.5” 5.56 SBR but I have a Mack Brothers MB556FAS for that.

Anyway, the Sandman-K arrived last week and I need to give it a try. It sure when that will happen, maybe next Monday.

Edit: I started with the SiCo Omega 9K on the 300BO but this can is also used on my CZ Scorpion and 9mm pistols. The Sandman-K was less than another Omega 9K and I’m thinking of getting the CZ can to dedicate to the Scorpion leaving the 9K for pistols only.

Keep me posted on what you think about the sandman K that's a ridiculous price. Was it on sale at the time?

All the K cans I have shot are loud as F on sbrs...period. Have you looked at the nomad?

All the K cans I have shot are loud as F on sbrs...period. Have you looked at the nomad?

Yeah i did but didn't wanna go above 6.5" and that's the length of the can with the DT mount. Micro 30 gives kind of the best of both worlds. I was thinking about that though shorter but fatter with higher volume.

I have the Sandman-K. It's a great silencer if you set your expectations properly. That can be said for all of the -K cans.
    All -K cans will be louder than normal length ones and can be flashy depending on the round being shot.

I'm usually shooting with other people around at various ranges, so I have to wear hearing protection anyway. I wanted a small can that would take the bark out and make things more pleasant to shoot without adding a ton of length to the gun. I have long, heavy and quiet silencers already, I wanted something smaller.
    I do wish the Sandman-K was modular like the Micro, but I'm happy with the purchase. The sandman mounts are great. They lock up tight and consistent. JMAC also makes sandman mounts with various features (longer and shorter brakes, no features at all, etc). Since I never shoot my bolt gun without the silencer, I picked up the JMAC featureless mount. It's just the taper and 3-lug lock. No flash hider, no brake, less weight.
    The Micro is the way to go if you want modular and to be able to make it quieter if you want. Just like the Ultra-5 would be the way to go if you want super light. Both of these options are spendy and I picked up the Sandman-K under $500 and that's really hard to beat.

For what it's worth my 30cal Ultra 9 on an 18" 5.56 is comfortable to shoot outdoors without ear pro. I only have one 5.56 can and my AEM5 is probably the best sounding can I have -- sits on a 12.5" host.

If i come across the sandman K at under $500 i'd wouldn't hesitate that's a phenomenal price. Currently it's nearly $600 and i honestly am getting closer to just paying the $200 for the Micro 30 to have the extra 1.5" in the event the 11.5" is just too unbearable with the Micro in K config. Granted i don't plan on not wearing ear pro when shooting. Hell i don't do that with any of my suppressed guns except the blackout. The only exceptions would be grabbing it in defense at night and hunting, definitely hunting. I don't wear ear plugs.

Keymo definitely makes me want the sandman but seen a lot of reviews on it that aren't too positive on it's performance, even with the people with realistic expectations of a 30 cal K can acted like it's pretty loud. Which again i know is par for the course. Without going dedicated 5.56 in this length i know i'm giving up a lot. Also read you have to get the flash hider end cap for the Sandman K so that's another $100. At the end of the day the micro 30 seems to serve as a Razor in full config and a K can in micro. So seems like a no brainer. I just wish i could get the promotion by buddy got with two brakes and a 5.56 end cap.