• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 30+ Silencers Tested with Free Data

Arevalosocom

Wizard
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2007
Hobart, IN
Just a heads up for Silencer guys.

30 + cans were tested with 30 shots per test calculated.

It's all free and I figured some of you boys would be interested.

NFAtalk.org

Should be up by the end of the week hopefully.......

Re: 30+ Silencers Tested with Free Data

sweet was it only rifles or eas it a combo of rifles and pistols

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mongo338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet was it only rifles or eas it a combo of rifles and pistols </div></div>

both!
smile.gif

Thats Great!!! I appreciate someone who is willing to share info with fellow shooters without charging for it. Your a class act in my book!!

Thanks! I'm in the market for one and was looking at the sandstorm- out of stock at GemTech 4-6months per my class 3 dealer. This research should come in handy.

There are a few things I think would help make the results more meaningful.

An unsuppressed reference taken by the same meter/weapon/ammo combination used in the test; on the same day is important to establish what the silencer accomplished. The actual DB reduction.

A-weighting is Mil-STD and attempts to represent the human audible frequency range. A lot of industry companies use unweighted settings on their meters because unweighted results don't filter frequencies. A-weighting usually produces higher reduction figures. The data isn't comparable between the two methods other than to assume an increase in sound of 2-5 or more DB's using the unweighted method.

an Unsuppressed reference is taken per weapon/ammo/silencer the day of testing. In addition the both meters are calibrated at 94db and 114db before and after the test. Lastly a "reference can" will be used from this test forward, My own SWR Spectre will be used at each test as a means of additional QC

All data ia A-weighted, I prefer C or unweighted but the "Mil-STD" guys want comparable data.

A weighting is actually a poor scale to use, it's meant for quiet areas / lower db's.........it's used IMHO only so guys can say "Mil-std". I agree the data is not comparable between the methods, Conversely I have metered the same can/ammo/weapon on A,C & Unweighted.......not a drastic difference in Dbs between them IMHO.

The reviews are under the "reviews" section of the board.

I looked at a few of the reviews and wasn't able to find that unsuppressed reference data for the weapon on that day, nor was I able to find the DB difference between suppressed and unsuppressed averages stated, so it was a little hard to understand just what kind of performance was being obtained in the silencers you tested. Maybe I missed it?

Back when Robert Silvers was doing testing he had some silencers that tested 5 or more DB louder unweighted, and some that tested 1DB louder so the difference will probably vary for each silencer tested, though mil-std for the sake of mil-std makes sense.

[/quote]
The reviews are under the "reviews" section of the board. [/quote]

looks like you need to be signed up and signed in just to view....is that the case or is my computer screwed up. All forums come up with no threads inside.

Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[/quote]
The reviews are under the "reviews" section of the board. </div></div>

looks like you need to be signed up and signed in just to view....is that the case or is my computer screwed up. All forums come up with no threads inside.

Frank [/quote]

I noticed that too. You have to register.

ArevaloSocom, Did you guys test the CanCorp suppressors yet? If you did, how did you get it? Can you share the hook up? Damn things are impossible to get up here.

test the osprey 9 or 40 ? tirant 9 ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HPLLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"></div></div>
The reviews are under the "reviews" section of the board. </div></div>

Frank [/quote]

I noticed that too. You have to register. [/quote]

Yes.

You must register, considering the data is free vs. 30 bucks a year elsewhere........we felt it was not too much to ask to prtect Copyrighted information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HPLLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I looked at a few of the reviews and wasn't able to find that unsuppressed reference data for the weapon on that day, nor was I able to find the DB difference between suppressed and unsuppressed averages stated, so it was a little hard to understand just what kind of performance was being obtained in the silencers you tested. Maybe I missed it?

Back when Robert Silvers was doing testing he had some silencers that tested 5 or more DB louder unweighted, and some that tested 1DB louder so the difference will probably vary for each silencer tested, though mil-std for the sake of mil-std makes sense. </div></div>

Every test has a 1M & Ear test in a Excel Spreadsheet that you can download or open & imposed into the webpage is the SPPS Statistical data..........I assume you are not seeing the link at the very bottom of each post, I am guessing you looking for the data in the Excel spreadsheet........look again, it's there. Bottom of the post.

Robert metered unweighed........IMHO........because it makes more sense, he discuessed it in great lenght in his after action reports. Problem is "Mil-STD" is what the "Standard" is......so guys contiune to use that "Standard" just so they can appease the "Mil-STD" crowd......Robert could see this right after doing the chart he and Matt put together........

<span style="font-weight: bold">All Credit Robert silvers / silencertalk:</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with A-Weighing is that <span style="font-weight: bold">it does not match the ear's response at any sound pressure level.</span> Even worse is that it comes closest to matching the ear's response for sounds in the <span style="font-weight: bold">40-50 dB SPL range</span> as described in the paper titled 'A' Weighting Filter For Audio Measurements. Suppressed gunfire is generally in the 120-140 dB SPL range and it would be much more appropriate to have selected the 120 Phon curve. The 40 Phon curve, and hence <span style="font-weight: bold">A-weighting, is entirely inappropriate for anything other than low-level (such as in an office) sound level measurement</span>.

In fact, as shown in figure 3, <span style="font-weight: bold">unweighted measurements more closely approximate the way the ear hears most sounds at 120 dB SPL than the A-weighted curve.</span> Why did the military go out of their way to impose a curve that is worse than no curve at all? Partly because they were not measuring gunshot noise perception but rather trying to predict generic hearing risk for a wide range of environmental sounds, and <span style="font-weight: bold">partly because A-weighting was already established as a standard for measuring lower-level environmental noise</span>.

In conclusion, <span style="text-decoration: underline">the MIL-STD manufacturers commonly use for research, development, and marketing purposes <span style="font-weight: bold">is not appropriate for predicting human perception of suppressed gunshot noise even when perfectly and fairly implemented</span>.</span> <span style="font-style: italic">The elimination of A-weighting and peak-voltage detection and replacing them with a better curve</span> (<span style="font-weight: bold">C-weighting would be better</span>) and a longer time-constant (such as the length of the entire A-duration) would be a good thing to test, but the ultimate solution would be a new standard based on a version of what is outlined in the ISO standard 532-B, modified for impulse sound signatures by choosing an ideal time-constant.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul.W</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ArevaloSocom, Did you guys test the CanCorp suppressors yet? If you did, how did you get it? Can you share the hook up? Damn things are impossible to get up here. </div></div>

We are gonna attempt to meet and meter thier product.

I saw them at a demo in NY for the SWAT guys. After hearing them on the 308 and 6.8 I was sold. I didnt get a chance to speak with them as they were more than busy. Cant wait for the reviews and test data. Should be interesting

Oh ok. I finally found the spreadsheet. The images sort of threw me off. I thought that was the review when the data is in the down-loadable spreadsheet.

Thanks.