• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .300 ACC Blackout Reamer & Gauges Available

Re: .300 ACC Blackout Reamer & Gauges Available

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Selph</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have brass from SSK that measures 1.3455 long, does this mean that the brass that JD Jones is selling will work in the new 300 blackout chamber?
I am also wondering if the 300 whisper Corbon ammo I have would be compatible with the blackout chamber.
</div></div>

You would have to ask Cor-Bon as I don't have their cartridge drawing. They are a SAAMI member and have the 300 AAC BLACKOUT drawing submitted to SAAMI - so they already know the answer.

I do have a RUAG 300 Whisper(R) cartridge drawing, and that is a fit in the 300 AAC BLACKOUT chamber drawing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Selph</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anywhere I can find a SAMI print on the 300 blackout cartridge? </div></div>

Generally only SAAMI members have it. </div></div>

I have sent a couple of requests to SAAMI to become a member; do you have a contact phone number you could pm me.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do have a RUAG 300 Whisper(R) cartridge drawing, and that is a fit in the 300 AAC BLACKOUT chamber drawing.
</div></div>

Would it be possible for you to post the Raug print?

No, that is not possible that is not why they sent it to me.

Some may be skeptical simply due to their disdain for AAC's aggressive marketing tactics and are quick to cry foul. One cannot deny the fact that AAC is pretty damn good at marketing, product development, and delivery.

I have long thought that the dual purpose of the 300-221 offerings would take over the AR platform if the right company marketed it to the right folks. I have personally fired subsonic 3/4 moa groups @ 400 yds using 220 smk with a Rem 700 chambered in 300-221.

It appears AAC has gone above and beyond in both the R&D and marketing of this cartridge. Now with Remington's influence maybe the MIL will adopt this cartridge and use it.

I see a few things it has over the 5.56.
Barrel life
energy @ distance
same rifle able to fire both sub and super sonic rounds
wind deflection maybe? What is the BC of the 123gr bullets?

Overall, I think this is big news that this round is getting a second look.

Quote from Jason/AAC on another board:
"1. It will be on the market, Remington is currently running 100,000 rounds with full production planned for the first of the year.
2. The goal is to have this priced with 5.56… different grades from plinking to hunting to military.

@Lance- “… inside a ship a 9mm round wont go as fast, less dangerous.”

The subsonic velocity of the 300BLK 220gr is about the same as the 115gr MP5-SD 9mm… better in every way for putting down bad guys."

This round fired subsonic is quieter and more lethal than the MP5 SD, and will has over 3 times the effective range.

As Posted on another forum:
http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11304&highlight=

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The headspace is exactly the same as 221 Fireball, the chamber is exactly the same as the 221 Fireball except the neck is .337 tapering to .335. The max case length is 1.368", chamber is 1.378 to where the case mouth would be. Throat is .309 for about .18 then it's a 1.5 degree into the bore.</div></div>

I was given 0.266 for the 123 BC. I hope to do Doppler radar with all of the loads next year to get the best data.

Medium Contour is P/N 101273
Light Contour is P/N 101815

barrels.jpg

with a trim length of 1.348 to 1.368 and max neck diameter of the brass of 0.334, your not standardizing the 300 fireball (trim length 1.39) all you have done is copied the 300 whisper (trim length 1.355) and added your name, i can understand SSK Inc. and J.D. Jones being upset,

also i have been special ordering remington 700 short cambered varmint contour 300 whisper 1/8 twist barrels from Brownells for years.

My data showed that when using same lot Remington .223 brass and a chamber with a slightly fatter neck, the best groups were fired. .0025"-.004" neck clearance was best.

I had a tight chamber rifle and it did not shoot to my expectations but still shot about 1.5moa.

A tighter neck chamber had a lot higher ES when using sub loads and the groups were double the size or more.

Hart 8 twist barrels were more consistent and gave lower ES than other barrels I tried.

I had the same problem on a gun and just ran a 300 fireball reamer down it and opened it up

Are there any plans for a factory built R700/R7 chambered in this?

Also, where can those barrels be purchased?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, where can those barrels be purchased?
</div></div>
As posted up on this forum:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=63263
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300 BLK barrels for the Rem 700/Model-7 are available. They are 16", 1:8 twist, Nitride finish, threaded 5/8-24 and come as pictured with thread protector. Retail is $400.

Medium Contour is P/N 101273
Light Contour is P/N 101815

For now, call up Mike Mers or John Hollister at 770-925-9988 to order.</div></div>

Yes, AAC will make Model 7 complete rifles with the light barrel profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, AAC will make Model 7 complete rifles with the light barrel profile.

</div></div>

That is phenomenal. Any idea when they might be available?

Should be January.

I have some good news for anyone needing ammo for the 300 blackout; today I decided to take my upper I kept and do a little testing with some 300 whisper corbon ammo. I was pleasantly surprised that the corbon ammo worked perfect and after taking measurements of both spent cases one from my 300 whisper and other case from my new 300 blackout I found the whisper ammo will indeed work in the 300 blackout chamber. I don’t have any of the blackout ammo so I cant say if it will function in the whisper chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why can't you make them in 700's? </div></div>

We just like the shorter acton. Lighter, stiffer, etc.

Here's a CLUE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why can't you make them in 700's? </div></div>

We just like the shorter acton. Lighter, stiffer, etc. </div></div>

You are aware the supply chain for aftermarket accessories, to include bottom metal with detachable mags, does not exist for the Model 7, but does for the 700...?

Have you noticed all of the $1,000's spent on here in customizing the Model 7? Surely you've see all of the pictures of Model 7's in McMillan, Manners, AI....stocks? I'm sure there are many reasons why everyone here is using the Model 7 instead of the 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpkdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jones took the .221 fireball case and necked it to .30 cal, going from .22 cal to 30 cal. shorten the round, it took it from a trim length of 1.39 for the fireball to 1.35 and he based his reamer prints on that, also thin out the neck some, some of the reloading manuals have 1.39 as a trim length and other have 1.35, the 300 fireball/30-221 etc... is based on the 300 fireball length of 1.39, i have about 6 guns single shot to full auto in 300 fireball and I'll bet lunch a 300 acc round will drop right in a 300 fireball camber, 300 fireball will be just a little longer but it does headspace on its shoulder, for the record the army did play with the 300 whisper it was SSK guns and there is a limited number of them out there now with them, will be nice to see some commerical brass out there 300 fireball, 300 whisper is a reg. trade mark for J.D. Jones thats why all the companys out there call it by other names, Remington will be fine as long as they don't call it anything whisper, thinking about it the 300 ACC blackout is more of a 300 fireball than 300 whisper based on its length and neck thickness, once the reamer prints come out we will see.

just my .02 as right as wrong as it maybe

P.S. I'm having a sell on 300 ACC Blackout brass, its trimed down .223 brass (i just adjusted my machine to trim just a little more off my 300 fireball brass) LOL

watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1FIs0FDmFQ

update: I just measured my Clymer 300 fireball reamer and it for 1.40 case length with that come on remington get us some brass going.

???? are they going stay with the small rifle primer ?? not getting all into the 6.8 spc but first ones were small primers and after some military testing cold weather and all they had to go with a large primer,etc... long story, but anyway </div></div>

Send me a pm so I can order some brass from you.

The standalone barrel is for model 700s.

i have a question on the nitriding can the barrel shoulders be machined to suit a thicker recoil lug? and what spec are they made to the newer rem actions if you fit the barrel to an older 223 action with any wear on the lugs or the barrel shoulder will need a small amount of machining to headspace.

I would also reccomend you reconsider making the rifles on a rem 700 i understand that the barrel tennons are identical so there is no problem making them on the model 700 i would think most people would fit the barreled actions to a stock like a Manners MCST or other tacticle stock with the heavy barrel i would realy think as others have said with the 260 thread that barreled actions would be the best and that way they could chose either barrel as you could thread either barrel into an action or have both already there ready to go. the real reason to go with the 700 is the availability of the newer AICS 10 round 223 mags that feed the 30-221 perfectly.

I think the 40X trigger is also the perfect trigger if you are supplying them with a rem trigger because the X Mark Pro just sux and i would not think that the tac knob would be ideal the one you have looks to be fitted forward a bit there are a lot of people that hate tacticle knobs the others are realy particular to the ones they want some want Badger others Tac Ops others want another all together i would leave that to the end user and just send them out with the factory bolt hande.

this is the spec i would make the barreled actions

Rem 700 Nitrided actions
choice of barrel profile barrel
rem 40X trigger

And for stocks i would ask Tom Manners about one of his with the mini chassis that people could buy as an option through you or just send him the barrel dimensions so people can order the stocks directly from him.

When these are available i will be getting one to Australia hopefuly and will be getting a Manners with mini chassis to drop it into and will run AICS 10 shot mags. or at least i will get a barrel and fit it to an action here.

The model 7's are not stifer than a model700 the mag cutout and port length is exactly the same length the diference is the rear bridge is shorter and the tang is also shorter that makes the action shorter it is not the action for this calibre the rear take down screw is also smaler and it is not the action to build a tacticle rifle on because the bottom metal is completly different and you will have issues using a 40X trigger on it aswell.

AAC sells standalone barrels so anyone who wants a 700 can just make one. But yes, a 700 should exist also, and I would imagine we will make one unless Remington does first - but all we have on order now to have sooner is a Model-7.

See it in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VivPz-Z0wAw

The XMark-Pro triggers sure seem excellent to me. I have shot several. Whenever someone says they are bad I have no idea what they are talking about.

You can cut the nitriding with carbide tools.

thanks for the reply and the ability to cut the nitride with carbide is helpfull.

this will allow the barrels to be fitted to other actions like Lawtons aswell just by relieving the shoulders will make them even more versitile.