• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors 300 blackout can issue

thebeast862

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2014
I have an awc thundertrap and want to use it on my 300 blackout that I just purchased. I assumed that my can and rifle would be threaded for .308 (5/8 x24) but instead both are threaded 9/16 x24. I only really want to use it for sub sonic rounds so I was thinking maybe my awc Jupiter eye (.40 cal) would work because you can change the thread pattern on them. I called and they said it might work but it might be to much pressure for the can. My question is would it work or should I try a threaded barrel adapter. I really don't want to have to get my barrel and suppressor rethreaded plus new thread protector and my pelican case is already cut for that length barrel.

With subs it most definintely will work. But make absolutely sure you're only running subs if you end up going with the pistol can. Ive run both the TiRant45 and TiRant9 on my 8.2" 300 BLK. I used a 5/8-24 to .578 x 28 adapter and they both metered under 130 dbs with factory 185 gr Gemtech subs and 194 gr Lehigh ME handloads. That said, your Thundertrap would be ridiculous quiet. My MK13-SD meters nearly 8 DBs quieter than my pistol cans on hosts with similar barrel lengths and gas systems using the same ammo.

Here's a stick i put together for somebody wanting to use a .45 cal pistol can...

IMG_0882.jpg

Where did you get the thread adapter from. The one I read about most was made from tros but have not been able to get in touch with anyone this week.

If I am reading this correctly your AR barrel is 1/16 larger, but the same thread pitch. The best long term solution would be to have the barrel re threaded. Since it is the same pitch threads a decent smith shouldn't have any trouble turning down the major diameter and picking the threads back up. This would leave You with the same length barrel and the original crown you would only need a new thread protector.

My savage .308 and can are both 9/16x24. My ar blk out is threaded for 5/8x24.

Ok - got it. That makes sense to me now.

Your best long-term solution is to re-thread the AR. As AJWcotton pointed out a smith should be able to size it down without having to cut/loose length. I've tried out a couple adapters on various cans and projects. They work, but never quite feel 100% to me. In every case I've ended up going back and re-threading to the can or brake's native pitch.