• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 blackout.... whats it good for?....?

Killing deer!! My son has shot several for the last 3-4 years and its great with 125 TNT hollow points. Keep it under 100yards or so. Subsonics are a blast too!

I personally feel like its a total waste. What can it do that the 7.62x39 cant in real world situations? Nothing.

I see people talk down on a 308 (not in this thread) and really brag about a 300 blk being some great target caliber with all these great ballistics. GTFO! I think its a fade that will die off. If you get one so younger kids can have a deer gun, why dont you just get a 308 and put a brake on it? Or a 25-06. Even less recoil. Quit wasting time and money on these fads. Get a real caliber.

Young shooters shoot better with less recoil and noise. Don't want them to develop a bad flinch.

Young shooters shoot better with less recoil and noise. Don't want them to develop a bad flinch.

Kind of an old thread, but, since you quoted me..

If you want an AR platform, the 223 will kill deer up to 200+ yards using heavy bullets. With better ballisitcs, energy and less recoil. And probably cheaper ammo. I havent priced 300 blk ammo.

I havent seen, nor heard much 300 blk out talk lately. Just passing through. 223, 6.5 Grendel or 308 handles all the AR platforms desires really well.

I got one just to fool around with as a project this winter and wanted to try a Ruger Ranch anyway.

The rifle itself was decently accurate with a couple groups at 100Y in the 1" area. It liked the 230's best and hated the 155's. Overall I thought the Ranch Rifle a good value for a cheap rifle.

I tried Sig factory 220gr sub's, Factory 125gr Fed supers, reloaded 240gr SMK subs, 230gr Berger hybrid subs, 155gr Noslers both subs and at 1960 fps.

Condensed, I really went into this thinking a high BC 30 cal bullet would do better than I experienced. I only found value in the round for general shooting with the subs and only to 400Y. With subs the round does pretty good to 300Y, by 400Y it's struggling and by 500Y getting pitiful, and even the high BC bullets blow a huge amount in the wind. I found it hard to reign in the vertical. Both the factory and my meticulous reloads had vertical issues at the longer distances. I could hit my 15" plate with 125gr factory rounds at 500Y more than half the time but by 600Y I hardly hit it.

I didn't hunt with it at all so no comment.

I found out what I wanted to and decided it's not a round I'm interested in keeping with. I could see it being more fun in a AR with a suppressor shooting subs and staying inside of 400Y.

A high bc bullet is useless unless it's pushed at enough velocity to take advantage of the bc. Going slow it's just an anchor.

I love it for what what it's intended for in my opinion: shooting heavy subsonics quietly. Don't ever plan on shooting it over 100 yards. But my ranch is awesome, a light weight fast twist thermal platform.

The 300.Blackout is a very niche caliber... It has one purpose
To put scumbags with laundry on their heads down.

Effective ranges are CQB to "intermediate" ranges.

I don't know why the civilian market is trying to make the 300
Something it's not designed to do.

I don't really have an application for subsonics, myself.

I have a Savage 10FCM Scout chambered in the less common 7.62x39, a product of an earlier age. Being American made, it mounts a .308" diameter bore and handles .308 diameter bullets with some considerable ability. I have taken to handloading 110gr V-Max with a rather zippy load of IMR-4198, and the accuracy I'm finding is taking me by some considerable surprise.

Recently, I encountered the 110gr GMX solid, which employs a rather more advantageous BC; and I plan to get some handloads made up and tested sometime this Spring.

But, other than the Savage Scout, few platforms exist within which to employ this handload at its truer potential. One impediment is the case itself, which lends itself poorly to employment in an AR, the case taper and resulting magazine curvature pose noticeable issues to reliable feeding.

I think an AAC handload with the 110GMX might perform rather nicely in the AR, with a particular potential to extend the effective range somewhat. Like a lot of the more recent Hornady projectiles, the mission has blurred

While they shoot rather a lot more like a match bullet, they can also have decent supersonic terminal performance; maybe even so much so that it might be reasonable to lobby Savage for a Scout chambering in .300AAC, with a threaded muzzle.

While we're on the subject of Scouts, I seriously believe that the forward scope mounting is more a matter of truly worthy hero worship than practicality. I see a LER scope mounting as being practical if a normal mounting might interfere with loading, as from strippers. Without a stripper notch, such scope mounts are not as viable. But I would entertain one if the rifle employed a stripper notch for the AR stripper. Same-same for a .223 chambering.

A similar approach with a 7.62x39 chambering could be configured for that AK/SKS stripper. Such a feature might exist practically as an appliance mounted by means of the rear sight base screw holes.

Think about it...

Greg

Last edited:
I like the 300 because you can get rid of all the extra components. Range brass, surplus pulled bullets and a variety of pistol powders, you can roll some cheap ammo. Virtually no recoil. Just a fun chambering for banging steel and plinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think that with the lighter bullets like the 110 and 125gr stuff you're basically equivalent to the 7.62X39 so its not useless. You're still not going to get much range out of it though. I've mostly dumped it from the subsonic perspective because I found the 338BR to be better. I can pitch a 300 gr bullet at the same subsonic speeds and it carries further with more energy. I'm still not going out much past 200 yds though. No matter what you're shooting, if its subsonic there will be a lot of drop. Even if the drop is consistent its tough to keep things ranged exactly so you can hit them consistently. Sure you can nail a non moving target once you get it dialed in but the damn deer won't sit still and the raccoons are even worse....little bastards. I do enjoy shooting very quietly though and for the one 300 I have left its all 220 or 240 matchkings and 1050 fps. I've got real rifles to shoot long range and with a can on them the target can't hear me shoot anyway.....

frank

Last edited:
I got one just to fool around with as a project this winter and wanted to try a Ruger Ranch anyway.

The rifle itself was decently accurate with a couple groups at 100Y in the 1" area. It liked the 230's best and hated the 155's. Overall I thought the Ranch Rifle a good value for a cheap rifle.

I tried Sig factory 220gr sub's, Factory 125gr Fed supers, reloaded 240gr SMK subs, 230gr Berger hybrid subs, 155gr Noslers both subs and at 1960 fps.

Condensed, I really went into this thinking a high BC 30 cal bullet would do better than I experienced. I only found value in the round for general shooting with the subs and only to 400Y. With subs the round does pretty good to 300Y, by 400Y it's struggling and by 500Y getting pitiful, and even the high BC bullets blow a huge amount in the wind. I found it hard to reign in the vertical. Both the factory and my meticulous reloads had vertical issues at the longer distances. I could hit my 15" plate with 125gr factory rounds at 500Y more than half the time but by 600Y I hardly hit it.

I didn't hunt with it at all so no comment.

I found out what I wanted to and decided it's not a round I'm interested in keeping with. I could see it being more fun in a AR with a suppressor shooting subs and staying inside of 400Y.

***To emphasize, I know the 300BO isn't a round aimed at LR but I wanted to see what it was capable of for the "fun" of it. For me it's the poor vertical component at distance or at least the amount of work it would take to develop a load with better vertical at distance. Subsonic - I found it interesting that at 300Y I could hit a 9" diamond nearly every time but by 400Y I would only hit a 12" plate a few times with the same amount of ammo/8 rounds.

I also find it interesting how much more accurate my friends black powder buffalo rifles are sending 535gr subsonic cast lead bullets with a .3 BC at 500 meters!!!??? Must be a bore friction thing??? They can put in some 5" groups at that distance.

Conversely, at 500Y, on a calm day, with the 6x47, it's one big splat on steel so in low wind it's downright boring.

What should I try next?

Outlaw State Bullets makes .308 subsonic projectiles, and a 155gr Low Velocity that expands down to ~1250fps (supposedly can be driven to 2000fps in a 16" barrel). The subs expand down to around 850fps if I remember right.