• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Mag

No worries there, I tap out about freezing. I will however shoot when it is pushing 100. :ROFLMAO:
I'm just the opposite. I'll take a 20 degree morning over 100 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Until the wind picks up :ROFLMAO:

I think a 1.0625 tenon thread VS 1.1250 has more to do with pressure than a barrel with 1.25 VS 1.350 shank.
I spoke to a good Smith and to Bartlien, bartliens answer was kinda odd to me but I'll take it. They said that most 30 Cal magnums are built on a 1.00"/ 1.055" thread tenon.

The Smith basically said that a R700 shouldn't be done but new actions can handle it with ease. For him the .750" bolt diamiter was a big plus when looking for an action, although I'm not sure why that matters. He had done countless builds on defiance actions.

That's enough for me anyway.

I spoke to a good Smith and to Bartlien, bartliens answer was kinda odd to me but I'll take it. They said that most 30 Cal magnums are built on a 1.00"/ 1.055" thread tenon.

The Smith basically said that a R700 shouldn't be done but new actions can handle it with ease. For him the .750" bolt diamiter was a big plus when looking for an action, although I'm not sure why that matters. He had done countless builds on defiance actions.

That's enough for me anyway.
750 bolt diameter leaves more meat around the case rim for the extractor and case head support(def do not recommend a 700 diameter bolt on a norma/lapua). Talk to the guys who've built a lot of Norma's or improved variants like Dallas Lane, Alex Wheeler or Ryan Pierce. They all recommend an action with 1-1/8 tenon diameters. My original Norma imp was in a Kelbly with 1-1/16 tenon. Newest build is on a Bat with 1-1/8 tenon.

Reactions: Balor
750 bolt diameter leaves more meat around the case rim for the extractor and case head support(def do not recommend a 700 diameter bolt on a norma/lapua). Talk to the guys who've built a lot of Norma's or improved variants like Dallas Lane, Alex Wheeler or Ryan Pierce. They all recommend an action with 1-1/8 tenon diameters. My original Norma imp was in a Kelbly with 1-1/16 tenon. Newest build is on a Bat with 1-1/8 tenon.

Agree on the .750 bolt.

I hear so much mixed things on the tennon. Some swear by a larger tennon for this cartridge, others (like @Terry Cross), build all the time on actions with 1-1/16 tennons.

How do you like the BAT? I would love to try one some day.

Most my experience with .750" bolts have only been the bolt body and the bolt heads being smaller. I believe this is how the Coupe de Grace is.

Curious to see what the .588" bolt head looks like.

Agree on the .750 bolt.

I hear so much mixed things on the tennon. Some swear by a larger tennon for this cartridge, others (like @Terry Cross), build all the time on actions with 1-1/16 tennons.

How do you like the BAT? I would love to try one some day.
It's a bat long action igniter, basically a HR without any the fancy stuff. Integral lug, pinned rail, swappable bolt heads. Cut for 4" mag box, BnA trigger times up perfectly. Very smooth, tight tolerances. Been running a short action bat bumblebee for a few years hunting and love that thing.

Reactions: kthomas
I built my Norma on a Terminus Zeus with a 1.20” carbonsix barrel. This was before I read anything about shank size and tenon threads. I have spoken with Joel at Terminus twice about the receiver thread size. He has no issue with running 300 Normas on the 1.0625 threads. I have not had any accuracy or pressure issues with mine. 88gr of N570 with 215’s.

Looks like I'm jumping into 300 norma most likely.

Question what bushing size do you guys run with lapua brass?
What dies are you running? I'm looking at the bullet central micron dies

What action are you guys running? Really would like to use my krg whiskey 3 gen 6 chassis. I know most guys are pointing me to borden bigfoot bat hr and to stay with the bigger threads on action.

What action are you guys running? Really would like to use my krg whiskey 3 gen 6 chassis. I know most guys are pointing me to borden bigfoot bat hr and to stay with the bigger threads on action.
If you can find a long action bat igniter, its essentially the same as an hr, big tenon and integral lug, but pin/screw rail. The bolt heads are modular on the newer bat's. Believe I'm using 336 bushing with lapua, but my brass is OLD, from one first few runs they did back in 2018. I believe a lot the newer stuff is thicker necked.

Reactions: Schw15
Looking at bat hr and igniter. Hard to find anything in stock. Bullet central has a hr polished but only 3.5 ejector port I think the others come with 4.

Looking at terminus kratos x and kelby 338 atlas.

They seem to be the ones to drop into a rem 700 chassis

Looking at bat hr and igniter. Hard to find anything in stock. Bullet central has a hr polished but only 3.5 ejector port I think the others come with 4.

Looking at terminus kratos x and kelby 338 atlas.

They seem to be the ones to drop into a rem 700 chassis
I have a lightly used atlas 338 with extreme duty bolt stop. Says Piercision Rifles on the side, would make you a screaming deal on it. My first Norma imp was built on it, for the new barrel I went with the Bat.

I’m currently using an AXMC. If I was starting today I would pick up an Impact 787.

Think I am going to try 300 NMI. Where is the best place to source a reamer and dies?

Think I am going to try 300 NMI. Where is the best place to source a reamer and dies?
Wheeler is a 35° shoulder, Pierce is 33°, I've been shooting the Pierce version for 4 years. I'd personally go the Wheeler route as he isnt all proprietary with his reamer/dies. Pierce is.......and Pierce didn't even design his reamer, Bjay Gambeng did. Pierce locked it all down so it's all only available through him. I was lucky enough to get a reamer from Bjay himself, and a 33° Norma imp micron die from Bullet Central before Pierce put an end to that. However Ryan did build my first rifle and it was a hammer till N570 did it in near 1k rounds.
Another smith to consider with the NMI, is Dallas Lane of Lane Precision Rifles. He has a 35° chamber and dies that fit the brass very well(near copy of Wheeler chamber). He's chambered a few very accurate barrels for me. If you'd like to see the Wheeler and Pierce reamer prints, let me know, I have both.

Reactions: Balor
Wheeler is a 35° shoulder, Pierce is 33°, I've been shooting the Pierce version for 4 years. I'd personally go the Wheeler route as he isnt all proprietary with his reamer/dies. Pierce is.......and Pierce didn't even design his reamer, Bjay Gambeng did. Pierce locked it all down so it's all only available through him. I was lucky enough to get a reamer from Bjay himself, and a 33° Norma imp micron die from Bullet Central before Pierce put an end to that. However Ryan did build my first rifle and it was a hammer till N570 did it in near 1k rounds.
Another smith to consider with the NMI, is Dallas Lane of Lane Precision Rifles. He has a 35° chamber and dies that fit the brass very well(near copy of Wheeler chamber). He's chambered a few very accurate barrels for me. If you'd like to see the Wheeler and Pierce reamer prints, let me know, I have both.

Thanks, that's good info. I was trying to figure out what was going on with reamers and dies. I contacted Ryan but he said he was just doing complete rifles, and about all I could get out of Wheeler was that jgs had the reamers for his. Neither one really wanted to deal with just chambering a barrel it didn't seem. I'll contact Dallas and see what he says.

Thanks, that's good info. I was trying to figure out what was going on with reamers and dies. I contacted Ryan but he said he was just doing complete rifles, and about all I could get out of Wheeler was that jgs had the reamers for his. Neither one really wanted to deal with just chambering a barrel it didn't seem. I'll contact Dallas and see what he says.
If you can get a set of dies out of Pierce, my smith has my reamer, he does excellent work. He'd gladly do a simple barrel job.

Reactions: ForgeValley
Yeah that's what I found out as well. But full of info and were great so far to tall with

One cool thing about Ryan he will hydroform the brass to his 33 degree shoulder which is really nice. It will be 95% formed

Bullet central I think carries his dies as well
They did upon initial release, 33° improved, but I've not saw them available for some time, just standard 300nm. Maybe call and see if a guy can get one. Standard. 300nm seating die works just fine for the improved versions.

I will double check thought I seen them instock but been looking at so much Info and stuff might of confused it with the 35

Wheeler just did a chamber for me a couple of months ago. If you talk to him more in length he would rather not do complete rifles.

Absolutely not - shot everything in the 200gr+ zone just fine. The only reason I have some 1:7 barrels is because I'm trying to shoot some crazy long solids.

What dies you guys run? Bullet central micron seems like the best but out of stock

I have a Pierce 33° chamber which original shipped with whidden dies. They weren't right so acquired some Hornady dies custom made to pierce print. Ended up with 33° Micron dies......they're nice! And size at the base a bit better then both prior makes

Whidden for the sizer and seater. But about to sell it since I now got a LE Wilson inline seater and want the matching sizer. Odd, I know.

Is the rock chucker iv from rcbs big enough press for 300 norma ect. Or do they need bigger presses never had anything that bolt face.

Ok that's good to hear. I seen a few people saying they stretch since it's a 20 degree shoulder.

I've had pretty normal stretching where I may only have to trim every other firing or so, and the case web is fine. .338LM Improved, on the other hand, is a different story.