• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 prc elk bullet selection

Smokin7s

Lawyer, Astronaut, Pathological Liar
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Hey guys I’ve researched till I’m blue in the face but I can’t find much consistent info. I bought a 300 prc and I’m needed to order some components for it. The key purpose is elk. I’ve thought about the elite hunter or an accubond but idk much about elk help me decide.

The expected distance is going to be a big factor. I don't shoot a 300 PRC, but people that have experience hunting with them will be able to give you more help if you add that info.

Game king tears shit up and is what Im on lately. Partition is the gold standard but most any nosler hunting will be great.

If you want to go over 400 Id look to a tipped version of the offerings.

(Or whatever you can get ahold of right now, all the manufacturers make good bullets)

Anything from 180 up is generally considered good for elk. Many are killed with smaller bullets too. I know a guy who has taken dozens with his 243. I like 200+g bullets in my 300wm. For an elk hunting gun, I would shoot something smaller and faster, and extend the range of my PBR zero. If I am taking a gun I shoot LR with hunting. I shoot whatever I normally shoot in it. For hunting extending the point and shoot range is nice. IMO.

Just a hybrid target

There are many more threads on more hunting specific forums about the 215. It flat out works very well.

Both the 200 and 212 ELD-x are great on elk. I wouldn't shoot an elk with a Berger again, but what the hell do I know, I only have a herd of 150 about a quarter mile from my house. I've just seen too many failures with hybrid targets. Reports of them killing an elk are great, but a good hunting bullet kills them consistently, and the Bergers just do not.

There are many more threads on more hunting specific forums about the 215. It flat out works very well.
This is not what I consider a great review for an elk bullet. One guy killed a cow DRT, another guy had to shoot an elk three times. A bunch of people killed deer, but killing a deer and killing an elk are not the same thing by a long shot. Don't get me started on Broz. He is a legend around here.lol.

I've seen too many good hunters pencil elk with hybrids, just like the guy in the thread. It's practically an epidemic.

My .02. People like shooting Bergers because they are easy to tune. Hunting bullets used to be tougher to tune, you would be luck at 3/4". Still 3/4" with an Accubond is miles better than 1/4" with a Berger. But the whole thing is moot now that ELD-x exist. They shoot as well as Bergers and kill like crazy. There is no excuse not to use them.

This is not what I consider a great review for an elk bullet. One guy killed a cow DRT, another guy had to shoot an elk three times. A bunch of people killed deer, but killing a deer and killing an elk are not the same thing by a long shot. Don't get me started on Broz. He is a legend around here.lol.

I've seen too many good hunters pencil elk with hybrids, just like the guy in the thread. It's practically an epidemic.

My .02. People like shooting Bergers because they are easy to tune. Hunting bullets used to be tougher to tune, you would be luck at 3/4". Still 3/4" with an Accubond is miles better than 1/4" with a Berger. But the whole thing is moot now that ELD-x exist. They shoot as well as Bergers and kill like crazy. There is no excuse not to use them.

I think epidemic is a bit dramatic

My .02, never had any issues with the 215 myself, nor have the people I know who use them. But like with every bullet, some people are going to have bad experiences. Good luck on your hunt!

Last edited:
Both the 200 and 212 ELD-x are great on elk. I wouldn't shoot an elk with a Berger again, but what the hell do I know, I only have a herd of 150 about a quarter mile from my house. I've just seen too many failures with hybrid targets. Reports of them killing an elk are great, but a good hunting bullet kills them consistently, and the Bergers just do not.
Want to sell a cow hunt? Lol

I think epidemic is a bit dramatic

My .02, never had any issues with the 215 myself, nor have the people I know who use them. But like with every bullet, some people are going to have bad experiences. Good luck on your hunt!
To be fair, most of the ones I have seen personally have been with 195 EOL Bergers. Three seasons ago, I knew of at least five guys in my little corridor who had it happen. I shot a cow five times with 195s, all in the kill zone. She died, but it could have been bad. At least not much meat was lost since they didn't expand at all.

Honestly just don't understand why people would, given that Berger even says it is a bad idea, and there are clearly better designed bullets for the task. It is possible that the 215s are magic, but 195 7mms and 215 30s are pretty darn similar.

Want to sell a cow hunt? Lol
Ha. I would but it is all public land right above me. It's about a 12 mile hike in unless you are one of my two other neighbors who border it, though, so we think of it as our own.

Ha. I would but it is all public land right above me. It's about a 12 mile hike in unless you are one of my two other neighbors who border it, though, so we think of it as our own.
I’m very new to it elk, just trying to do it right.

I’m very new to it elk, just trying to do it right.
It's just like any other hunt. You just hate yourself more when you fuck up than if it is your 765th pig of the year.

It's just like any other hunt. You just hate yourself more when you fuck up than if it is your 765th pig of the year.
Yeah I’d like to do right by whatever I shoot, unless it’s a pig. Fuck pigs

You hear hit or miss results from the bergers a lot. I myself have had great results with them from 80yards to past a 1000 on deer and hogs in 6.5,270,&.338. I wouldn’t be afraid to take an elk with the 215 bergers out of my 30 Sherman Mag at all if I go this elk hunting this year. But if I go Il probably use 214gr hammer hunters. I have a large variety of .30 cal bullets but the hammers were designed around hunting and I have a large variety of .30 cal bullets to choose from. The 199gr hammers we loaded up in some 300 prcs for a few guys last year did well on their elk. Nothing wrong with the Bergers just make sure the tips are cleaned out and not packed with debris and don’t put the bullet in the shoulder knuckle.

Yeah I’d like to do right by whatever I shoot, unless it’s a pig. Fuck pigs
Don't worry too much. You can hardly have a bad day elk hunting. And don't feel bad if you strike out. 90% of people do every year. Just enjoy the beautiful scenery and the time outdoors.

I'd do some research on the ELDX, there's plenty of shitty reports on that bullet. If you still can't decide, load up some Barnes.
My .02...
I've watched a lot of critters including elk fall after a 130 or 140 hybrid in the chest.
Way too much discussion on bullet construction when more practice will cure most of the issues.

Reactions: AA1 and clark33
I’ve killed several bulls with the 212 eld-x and more with the 215 Berger. In my experience they perform exactly the same. Go in and blow apart. Dead ek

Honestly can’t go wrong with a Barnes LRX if it’s going fast enough. The other thing to remember is that elk are BIG. You only need 2MOA performance at 700 yds to be in the boiler room, so splitting hairs between a 1/2 MOA load vs a 3/4 MOA load is missing the point.

Barnes TTSX/LRX don’t blow up on shoulders, and are light for caliber so it’s easy to get them screaming along at the higher velocities they like for reliable expansion (2000+ FPS at impact), and you’re basically guaranteed an exit wound with a trackable blood trail (almost impossible to find reports of a recovered TTSX/LRX on North American game.

I hear Hammer bullets offer even better accuracy, and provide similarly reliable terminal performance, they just cost a lot more so I don’t use them. Pick either and you will be well served.

Don’t shoot target bullets at elk, it isn’t worth risking carrying the memory of wounding an animal that escapes if the bullet fails you.

Reactions: KYAggie
Hey guys I’ve researched till I’m blue in the face but I can’t find much consistent info. I bought a 300 prc and I’m needed to order some components for it. The key purpose is elk. I’ve thought about the elite hunter or an accubond but idk much about elk help me decide.
Any projectile that you can poke a hole in both lungs.

Reactions: Smokin7s
Hunt elk in Montana. 200eldx out of a .300win mag from 80 yards to 465yards all dropped within a few steps. 230gr eldx from a .338 win mag has dropped elk out to 890 yards. 7 shots on elk, 7 dead elk.

Hunt elk in Montana. 200eldx out of a .300win mag from 80 yards to 465yards all dropped within a few steps. 230gr eldx from a .338 win mag has dropped elk out to 890 yards. 7 shots on elk, 7 dead elk.
Leaning towards the 212 eld-x or Berger elite hunter in 205 I believe if I can ever find any

Leaning towards the 212 eld-x or Berger elite hunter in 205 I believe if I can ever find any
212eldx will have a better BC then the 200 for sure. I went with the 200 because that’s what they had in stock and I bought 500 of them. My buddy with a 300rum uses the 212eldx and retumbo powder and is putting down every elk he shoots. Point is the ELDX bullets just work. And with the cost of them being around $40 per 100, you can practice a lot more before the season starts and not worry about the cost.

I was able to buy 3 pounds of H 1000 today so I think that’s what I use for powder unless you guys have a better suggestion I’m starting to finally see powder in stores again makes my heart happy

I was able to buy 3 pounds of H 1000 today so I think that’s what I use for powder unless you guys have a better suggestion I’m starting to finally see powder in stores again makes my heart happy
With the smaller case of the .300 win Mag, h4831sc worked best. So with a bigger case the h1000 should work. Good luck! Post pics of your results.

Reactions: Smokin7s
It’s been years since I lived in Idaho and elk hunted. I used Barnes bullets, pre LRX days, on three elk hunts there and killed an elk each time. I was not overly impressed with the lack of terminal destruction inside the elk. They did the job, but I really would like to see more damage inside. The newer LRX might provide that. If I went back again, and I might next year as I have a lifetime hunting license there, I will be using my 300 win mag and will likely take a hard look at the 200 grain Partition, Accubond LR, or Barnes LRX. I suppose it depends on the terrain you are hunting in, but I’ve never had to take a shot at an elk over 250 yards; two were less than 100 yards. From my sample of three, I would not want a Berger or ELD-X as their performance out of a PRC at close range might be less than optimal. I would want a stout bullet that gave me performance from 0 to 600 yards. If the elk is further away, I want to get closer.

It’s been years since I lived in Idaho and elk hunted. I used Barnes bullets, pre LRX days, on three elk hunts there and killed an elk each time. I was not overly impressed with the lack of terminal destruction inside the elk. They did the job, but I really would like to see more damage inside. The newer LRX might provide that. If I went back again, and I might next year as I have a lifetime hunting license there, I will be using my 300 win mag and will likely take a hard look at the 200 grain Partition, Accubond LR, or Barnes LRX. I suppose it depends on the terrain you are hunting in, but I’ve never had to take a shot at an elk over 250 yards; two were less than 100 yards. From my sample of three, I would not want a Berger or ELD-X as their performance out of a PRC at close range might be less than optimal. I would want a stout bullet that gave me performance from 0 to 600 yards. If the elk is further away, I want to get closer.
The last sentence.

Retumbo in my 30" PRC slings the 230 berger at 2985. Rl33 does it with less pressure.

Just helped a buddy build out his 300 PRC. We decided on the Berger 245 gr EOL. The chances of a shot being taken past 500 are very low but the option is still there if needed.

Hunted elk my whole life and so far the bullets i like are the 200 eldx and the 212 eldx. The pva solids work great also they make a 210 never tried it used there 7mm 151 with awesome results. Id say 212 eldx 210 pva or one of hammer bullets. Never used berger but im going to be trying them next 180 vld 7mm just to compare.

Hunted elk my whole life and so far the bullets i like are the 200 eldx and the 212 eldx. The pva solids work great also they make a 210 never tried it used there 7mm 151 with awesome results. Id say 212 eldx 210 pva or one of hammer bullets. Never used berger but im going to be trying them next 180 vld 7mm just to compare.
I bought a few hundred 220 grain eld-x today

200 gr Nosler Accubond! last 2 elk were at 625 yds, dropped in their tracks. NO CHASING them down.
.300 WBY custom 700.