• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

N570 and Rl33 will make it run a bit faster than H1000 N565 should also be a good choice. Use 30 Nos start data and call the tech lines for the different bullet mfg's.

Just waiting for my barrel for the 300 PRC Build, picked up brass and dies, H1000, R26 will be what powders Ill try after the factory ammo
Stiller Predator action
26" Benchmark #4 fluted 1-9.5 twist
Sunnyhill Bottom Metal
Timney Calvin Elite Trigger
Still wavering on the stock but probably a Wildcat Composite .....

Midsouth Shooters is showing some 300 PRC Redding Dies and part numbers but they just say "backorder ok". The prices are high so might still be custom.

Yesterday Midsouth showed 300 PRC brass and rounds are on backorder.

For the time being PRC dies will be in one of the more expensive categories. I'll bet Forester and RCBS are making dies and we haven't heard about it.

Any reservations chambering a Savage small shank in 300 PRC? I've read Savage had chambered some magnum barrels on the small shank, at first, but then moved those calibers to the large shank.

Also, not sure if it has been posted already, but X-Caliber has the option to select a 300 PRC chamber for their Savage small shank prefits.

***EDIT***
I should qualify further: small shank + barrel nut chambered in 300 PRC. Anything to worry about, big bada boom-wise?

Do you really think they’d be offering Savage prefits if they didn’t know that they would withstand overpressure events?

I’ve known guys that built 338 Edges on Savage small shank short actions. No ejector, removed bolt every time they loaded a case. No issues whatsoever.

Reactions: HOLLYW00D
I've been shooting a 6.5 SAUM which has a wider body diameter than the PRC in a small shank barrel for years now. Never the slightest hint of a problem.

Reactions: HOLLYW00D
I just bought one box from Midway for $58 with shipping to CA. Bought 30 boxes of 300 prc 225 ELD from another vendor last week wholesale only for $32 a box. it was all they had.

hi guys been following the thread and the PRC for a while.

having a AXMC so action size doesnt matter, is there a real difference from a 300 nm.

or is it splitting hairs?

hi guys been following the thread and the PRC for a while.
having a AXMC so action size doesnt matter, is there a real difference from a 300 nm.
or is it splitting hairs?

The .300 PRC will be softer shooting and a bit cheaper to feed and give you probably 90% of what the .300NM gives you.
The .300 PRC would be more friendly also if you wanted to not run a huge brake on the end of your rifle.

I'm stocking up on ammo so as soon as Dave gets my barrel done I'll be out seeing what it can do.

Would be nice to start seeing some other places carrying this because Midway won't ship ammo to NY.

They definitely will and they will also tell you it's ok to ship to your house which it's not. Still needs to go to an FFL. It's interesting how some vendors won't touch NY or even compromise and ship to an FFL and others tell you they have legal confirmation that they can ship to your residence. Problem with Target is they never seem to have half the ammo on their site in stock which is the case now with the 300 PRC.

Thanks for the update...they send stuff to my house all the time

Thanks for the update...they send stuff to my house all the time

They were sending it to me as well until my buddy that owns a bunch of stores in the area told me all theses places are going to get into trouble for shipping to NY because the attorney general is going after them. I was under the impression it was ok to receive it because the vendor had been advised legally that the law had been amended. I suppose if they subpoena order records and want to hold the consumers accountable we are in violation of the law because being mislead or claiming ignorance will have a tough time in court.

NY is a joke in so many ways. I can't imagine anyone other than a far left Liberal that enjoys insane taxes and being ruled in every way possible wanting to move here.

So back to 300 PRC

Hopefully some more options for factory ammo come out. Berger 215s would be nice too see soon.

Last edited:
What magazine is everyone using? Starting to gather parts for a build. Does it require special bottom metal or milling to use the longer magazines?

What magazine is everyone using? Starting to gather parts for a build. Does it require special bottom metal or milling to use the longer magazines?

You need a CIP length bottom metal or chassis that takes the CIP mags. I'm using accurate and MDT CIP 3.850 magazines.

I spoke to Foster yesterday on the phone and they noted the extreme number of requests they have had for 300 PRC dies. I was told if that demand continues they will likely make dies. They took my name and number and said they would call when dies would be available. The rifle, Lone Peak Fuzion Ti, Proof 9.4T Sendero in a McMillan A3 Adjustable from TS Customs is still 4 months out, so this might work. Love my Forster dies.

Reactions: doctordoctor
I spoke to Foster yesterday on the phone and they noted the extreme number of requests they have had for 300 PRC dies. I was told if that demand continues they will likely make dies. They took my name and number and said they would call when dies would be available. The rifle, Lone Peak Fuzion Ti, Proof 9.4T Sendero in a McMillan A3 Adjustable from TS Customs is still 4 months out, so this might work. Love my Forster dies.
Unfortunately they probably have missed the boat so to speak. Everyone will get dies where ever they can find them and upgrade later.
I suggested they make bushing dies as Redding, at this point in time, is not making them. Of course that might change also.

just a note Jim Carstensen has been opening up FL dies to accept bushings for years. I'm not sure if he's still doing this but it may be a option.

JLC Precision (Jim Carstensen)
[email protected]
13095 450th Ave
Bellevue, IA 52031
Shop phone: (563) 689-6258

Reactions: jasent

Thanks for posting. I saw 2890 out of a 26 inch tube with factory 225s. So I think these posted velocities may be pretty low. Unless that 2 inches really, really gets it going? Not sure why they tested it in 24" tubes though.. Just like the 300 Norma. You leave a lot on the table going 24 in these guns it seems. Even with my 300 win mag... Using 77.8gr of H1k in a 24 inch 300 win mag Cadex rifle I saw 3008 fps using the 200gr eldx. So that's even faster then what they posted in the 300prc for the same pills.

It will be interesting to see what everyone sees when rifles and barrels start hitting the streets.

Thanks for posting. I saw 2890 out of a 26 inch tube with factory 225s. So I think these posted velocities may be pretty low. Unless that 2 inches really, really gets it going? Not sure why they tested it in 24" tubes though.. Just like the 300 Norma. You leave a lot on the table going 24 in these guns it seems. Even with my 300 win mag... Using 77.8gr of H1k in a 24 inch 300 win mag Cadex rifle I saw 3008 fps using the 200gr eldx. So that's even faster then what they posted in the 300prc for the same pills.

It will be interesting to see what everyone sees when rifles and barrels start hitting the streets.

What elevation are you at?

That’s showing a 1/8 twist. That’s a faster twist than I was thinking they would have it at.

The blank I just ordered is a 10. Should be more than enough for anything I plan to shoot.

I went with a 10 for a hunting build. When you run the calcs the 10 is just fine especially at the altitude I hunt at. I did go 9.4 on the gun DT rebarreled.

Punch in some calcs here... http://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator-3/

Using the 215 Berger hybrid at 3k fps. A 10 twist is 100 percent stable at 0 degrees at 4k ft altitude. The 9.4 twist barrel I have is 100 percent stable at 0 degrees at 500 feet altitude.

Unless I'm doing a long range coastal bear hunt in 0 degree weather at sea level, I don't think I'll ever have the slightest issue. Even then your only losing very little BC. For the extreme weather and low altitude the 9 or 9.5 twist may be the best choice.