• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Thanks, if new is available in fall, you’d think some test runs would be out also sometime soon

I want one in a proof Savage pre-fit for my ARC Nucleus Long Action...all the 300 Win Mag performance without the stupid belt. Hoping to see reamers, brass and loaded ammo real soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: slkzic and Primus
I want one in a proof Savage pre-fit for my ARC Nucleus Long Action...all the 300 Win Mag performance without the stupid rim. Hoping to see reamers, brass and loaded ammo real soon.

Reamers I've had them for 10 years. They can be ordered now. https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/300-PRC-Public-Introduction.pdf
Brass- I've been told early this fall.
Ammo- I would think by year end but I have not been told anything firm.

You'll see marketing for 2019 kick in here in a few months which means the gun writers already have or have tested this.

As soon as brass is available to the public I'll buy a Savage pre-fit from the first reputable smith that will chamber a barrel....@bohem, @longriflesinc, or @Dave tooley if you're spinning them.

The 375 Ruger case (proprietary case) is a great parent case for 30 caliber projectiles.

Last edited:
Reactions: verdugo60
No, just a regular guy. No involvement with AI other than owning a few. 300PRC is nothing new, just a new name. 30-375 and, IIRC, 300AI. AI has had involvement with this cartridge for awhile as has Mr. Tooley. Thanks again Dave, - it's shooting extremely well btw.

Last edited:
Really incredible cartridge, Going to be my 2019 project for certain once the Nucleus hubub winds down. Got me excited about a big 30 magnum, very efficient, very easy to load for to get consistent MV and accuracy and pretty mild recoil for what it's doing. Just gotta save up some pennies and work out the parts list.

Reactions: hseII
Really incredible cartridge, Going to be my 2019 project for certain once the Nucleus hubub winds down. Got me excited about a big 30 magnum, very efficient, very easy to load for to get consistent MV and accuracy and pretty mild recoil for what it's doing. Just gotta save up some pennies and work out the parts list.

I'm with you, mine will be built on a long action Nucleus. All the performance of a 300 Win mag loaded hot but without the dumb belt or high pressure issues (of the hot mk13 loads.)

The 300 PRC, 30-375R, will be a cataloged item with SAMMI in the next two weeks. I don't know how long it will take them to add it to their website. Dave Manson has the specs and can make anyone a reamer.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...ds-6.5-300-Wby-Mag-6.5-PRC-and-.300-PRC-3.png

Three-New-SAAMI-Cartridge-Standards-6.5-300-Wby-Mag-6.5-PRC-and-.300-PRC-3.png

Any general idea on what brass life is like (on average)?

Should be able to get 10+ loads out of a case with SAAMI spec pressures and a small FL shoulder bump or neck size. Hot-rod it and anything past 1 is up in the air.

Forgot to ask this as well - barrel length ranges for optimal powder burn/velocity?

I saw one mention of a 30" barrel for a 2935fps range.

Thanks to all.

Will be tracking this to see when savage pre-fits are available. Looks like a nice project down the road.
I talked to Jim at Northland Shooters Supply about a RemAge prefit and he said that Criterion will not due a pre fit for either the Savage small shank or Remington thread pattern for any case larger in diameter than the WinMag case so no 375 Ruger, 300 PRC or 7mm SAUM etc unless it is a large shank. I haven’t talked to BugHoles yet but I hope that he has no such reservations.

Thinking about picking up one of those GRB actions for a 300 PRC build, or I could just go with the 6.5 PRC with a bolt and barrel swap on my Bighorn SA. Not sure which direction to go honestly.

6.5 Creedmoor for 1k yards
6.5 PRC for 1.5k yards
300 PRC for 2k yards

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmk9494
@DAVETOOLEY I dont know much about the gunsmithing side of the house, but is it reasonable to ASSume that on a current custom 300WM, the barrel could be set back and re-chambered to PRC?

Thinking about picking up one of those GRB actions for a 300 PRC build, or I could just go with the 6.5 PRC with a bolt and barrel swap on my Bighorn SA. Not sure which direction to go honestly.

6.5 Creedmoor for 1k yards
6.5 PRC for 1.5k yards
300 PRC for 2k yards

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Seems like you have it about right. What do you want to do with the rifle? It's basically a 300 win mag +p so whatever you see people doing there.

If you truly want and are capable of ELR (2000yds+) then a 300 Norma, 338 Lapua or a cheytac variant would be better suited.

Seems like the PRC will have all the versatility of a 300 win mag with modern bullets and a bit more velocity. Like Dave said, it's not meant to replace the "super magnums" but it fixes the outdated case design of the belted mags. It should be a nice sweet spot for long range hunters and guys wanting a 30 cal 2000 yd gun without springing for an XL action and 338 Lapua bolt face required for guns like the 300 Norma.

For me the advantage will be that it's easier to reload for than a 300 win mag due to headspacing off the shoulder. It's nice that you can seat bullets long and still mag feed (which is one big reason 6.5 Creed won out against the 260 Rem), and it's awesome I can do this cartridge in a lighter standard long action. I plan to get a proof carbon barrel chambered for hunting. Goal will be 9ish lb rifle with 2000 yd reach. Pretty sweet combo.

Last edited:
@DAVETOOLEY I dont know much about the gunsmithing side of the house, but is it reasonable to ASSume that on a current custom 300WM, the barrel could be set back and re-chambered to PRC?

From a smith's view point "it depends" Used barrels are tough on reamers. Heat checking full of carbon drastically shorten the lifespan of the reamer.
I can show you heat checking in a 300WM after 125 rnds. That's how fast it forms in magnums. What I'll probably do is have one just for rechambers and charge $10 more to offset the extra cost.

From a smith's view point "it depends" Used barrels are tough on reamers. Heat checking full of carbon drastically shorten the lifespan of the reamer.
I can show you heat checking in a 300WM after 125 rnds. That's how fast it forms in magnums. What I'll probably do is have one just for rechambers and charge $10 more to offset the extra cost.

That makes sense.. Something I did not know. Thank you

Last edited:
Definitely going to be looking at the 300 PRC when I burn out my current 300 WM barrel. Hopefully by then there'll be brass options beyond just Hornady.

thought I might give some insight to my 30 Nosler that I built late last year and could get some idea of how my set up compare to the 300 PRC. I built my rig on a Defiance deviant with a Bartline sendero contour 1:9 twist. It was chambered with a reamer specifically for Berger 230 hybrids. I sent Manners the seekins 338 CIP length bottom metal to inlet a T6A stock. I'm running 82.5grs of Retumbo at 2,925 fps. I went to 84 grs but only got ~60 fps. I have 2 pounds of 8133 and hope it will be the next step. In a shit storm at the moment as a veterinarian student so I have not given this rifle the time and love it deserves. It weighs 15 pounds on the nose with a NF ATACR and Suphr mount.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 427
Reactions: SiLo
I wonder when AI will put out an official one. Dave had mentioned if I'm not mistaken that he had been working with AI on that round.
What I'd really like to see is Tikka put out a T3x in the .300 PRC for their hunting line so I wouldn't have to rebarrel a .300wm one.

I talked to Jim at Northland Shooters Supply about a RemAge prefit and he said that Criterion will not due a pre fit for either the Savage small shank or Remington thread pattern for any case larger in diameter than the WinMag case so no 375 Ruger, 300 PRC or 7mm SAUM etc unless it is a large shank. I haven’t talked to BugHoles yet but I hope that he has no such reservations.

Shilen will do prefits for the mags on the savage actions and can be ordered directly from NSS if anyone was inquiring.

Shilen will do prefits for the mags on the savage actions and can be ordered directly from NSS if anyone was inquiring.
Which is great if you have a Savage long action but are shit out of luck if you need a RemAge because Shilen won’t make them.

Thankfully I have a long action taking savage small shank.

Reactions: RampedRaptor
I don't belong here, but I find the development (or rediscovery) of this round to be facinating. I may have my M70 rechambered in 300 PRC after I shoot out my krieger barrel.

I'm pretty excited about this cartridge. I was about to start reloading for a 300 win mag, but I may wait until components become available for this. I have never reloaded a belted cartridge and this might be a way to bypass that. Not to mention the performance gain, etc. It's about time for a rebarrel anyway.

Is there a ideal twist rate for the Hornady ELD ammo that will be offered? Thinking 26"-30" barrel if it matters.

Is there a ideal twist rate for the Hornady ELD ammo that will be offered? Thinking 26"-30" barrel if it matters.
Go to Berger twist rate calculator on their website and punch in the info for the Hornady 225 ELD-M.

The 300 PRC, 30-375R, will be a cataloged item with SAMMI in the next two weeks. I don't know how long it will take them to add it to their website. Dave Manson has the specs and can make anyone a reamer.
Do you guys know if I can use the action and magazine from my 300WM and jus have a gunsmith chamber my new barell to 300PRC