• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

PVA is supposed to have their reamer within a month. They are spinning up a shouldered tl3 for me, I believe they do remage too.

There any chance that the 7 LRM will become standardized into the 7 PRC?

They are not the same. LRM is on top, PRC on bottom.

IMG-20181024-WA0001.jpeg

I made the commitment. Just need to figure out what powder to start with after shooting these guys.. Have plenty of h1000 on hand. Think I'll start with that when the time comes.

Attachments

• IMG_20181109_132749.jpg
    IMG_20181109_132749.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 155
PVA is supposed to have their reamer within a month. They are spinning up a shouldered tl3 for me, I believe they do remage too.
I had asked them as well about a week or so ago. I'm waiting and will get PVA to spin up a prefit for my Mausingfield & barloc setup.

Anyone know of someone making headspace gauges for the 300PRC?

I had asked them as well about a week or so ago. I'm waiting and will get PVA to spin up a prefit for my Mausingfield & barloc setup.

Anyone know of someone making headspace gauges for the 300PRC?

Dave Manson has made all the reamers and gages for Hornady and myself.

Dave Manson has made all the reamers and gages for Hornady and myself.

I sent him over an e-mail to see about the headspace gauges.
Do you think I'd need the Go, No-Go and Field for an AXMC or just the Go and Field?

Just the go and no go. If the bolt closes on the no go you can improvise starting with a call to your smith. I've chambered thousands of barrel for AI. The HS does vary a slight amount but once I figured out what part of the spec they were using any occasional problem went away.

Anyone know what the COAL on the hornady 212 eld-x factory loads are? I am starting a build on a tikka action with an mdt chassis and the only aics mags they accept (according to MDT's site) have a max coal of 3.56 which eliminates the 225 loads :mad::mad:

Anyone know what the COAL on the hornady 212 eld-x factory loads are? I am starting a build on a tikka action with an mdt chassis and the only aics mags they accept (according to MDT's site) have a max coal of 3.56 which eliminates the 225 loads :mad::mad:

Looks like your outta luck with the 212s also. Need at least the 3.775 mags that take a COAL of 3.675 to run the factory ELD-X. I went to the 3.850 mags so I can make both Hornady offerings work.

3.650" on the 212 ELD-X.

3.683" on the 225 ELD-M

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_142344.jpg
    IMG_20181113_142344.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20181113_142536.jpg
    IMG_20181113_142536.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
This might be a good question for Hornady to answer but exactly what magazines do these factory loads work in?

Here is a pic of it in a 3.715 accurate mag with a COAL Max of 3.615. As you can see, the 3.650 eldx round does not clear.

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_143424.jpg
    IMG_20181113_143424.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 259
This might be a good question for Hornady to answer but exactly what magazines do these factory loads work in?

Anything with a larger COAL of 3.650 for the ELDX and larger then 3.683 for the 225 eldm.

So you esentally need CIP mags if you plan to run the 225 or reload them yourself.

Here is a pic of it in a 3.715 accurate mag with a COAL Max of 3.615. As you can see, the 3.650 eldx round does not clear.

Thanks for the info. Bummer news considering I don't know of any tikka chassis/stock options that are compatable with CIP mags. And I don't really want to put together short handloads for it.

If you doing a custom build why doesn't your Smith just make it a .050 shorter throat. Seat the bullets on those 212s 40-50thou deeper so they fit in the mags? Shouldnt take more then a minute to do a whole box quick, or even a case for that matter.

Reactions: Dirty D
Does anyone know if a Manner’s mini chassis for 3.715 mags can be easily swapped out for CIP length? I’ve got a Mausenfield currently set up with 3.715s in a PRS2 stock that I’d like to keep using with 300 PRC.

Does anyone know if a Manner’s mini chassis for 3.715 mags can be easily swapped out for CIP length? I’ve got a Mausenfield currently set up with 3.715s in a PRS2 stock that I’d like to keep using with 300 PRC.

No, they're a permanently installed. They can however be inletted for CIP length mags though.

Reactions: .30kal
If you doing a custom build why doesn't your Smith just make it a .050 shorter throat. Seat the bullets on those 212s 40-50thou deeper so they fit in the mags? Shouldnt take more then a minute to do a whole box quick, or even a case for that matter.

The real question is why didn't Hornady do this when they spec'd the cartridge? It's absurd that they promoted this as the .30 caliber fix for the magnum short comings and you can't run it anything shorter than a Norma anyway, unless you hand load and that to me isn't a fix for anything.

The real question is why didn't Hornady do this when they spec'd the cartridge? It's absurd that they promoted this as the .30 caliber fix for the magnum short comings and you can't run it anything shorter than a Norma anyway, unless you hand load and that to me isn't a fix for anything.

That's a good question for Hornady that I don't have an answer for you on.

We are basing this off of 2 rounds total from Hornady with, I believe, only one or two manufacturers having an option for 300 prc complete rifles this far. I bet those rifles run just fine with the COAL. If your having your gunsmith spin you up a new barrel trying to convert your 300 win to another caliber, then there is always stuff that goes with it. If your rifle takes the 3.775 mags your already good to go with the 212 eldx. Same with the CIP mags. Only the shorter 3.715 mags don't work currently with these two specific rounds.

I don't think they came out with this so everyone with a 300 win mag would be able to go spin up a new barrel and rock and roll. I get that's what all of us here on SH want to do, including myself, but getting out to the masses with new rifles chambered and set up for the 300prc is probably the main long term goal. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Well it sure was presented that way here multiple times, which was the only source of information until the actual ammo was released. The major problem being that people that were already shooting their version of the cartridge were doing it at standard mag length and Hornady took it upon themselves to make life difficult.
I don't think they came out with this so everyone with a 300 win mag would be able to go spin up a new barrel and rock and roll.

That's a good question for Hornady that I don't have an answer for you on.

We are basing this off of 2 rounds total from Hornady with, I believe, only one or two manufacturers having an option for 300 prc complete rifles this far. I bet those rifles run just fine with the COAL. If your having your gunsmith spin you up a new barrel trying to convert your 300 win to another caliber, then there is always stuff that goes with it. If your rifle takes the 3.775 mags your already good to go with the 212 eldx. Same with the CIP mags. Only the shorter 3.715 mags don't work currently with these two specific rounds.

I don't think they came out with this so everyone with a 300 win mag would be able to go spin up a new barrel and rock and roll. I get that's what all of us here on SH want to do, including myself, but getting out to the masses with new rifles chambered and set up for the 300prc is probably the main long term goal. Just my opinion.

So I'm relatively new to long range and I've been looking at this as a direct 300 WM competitor / upgrade. Hornady's own video got me super pumped because they referenced the 300 PRC as a 300 WM replacement to launch heavier, better BC bullets. That's a perfect selling point to me as I had been thinking on the WM already this year. I was seriously considering the PRC as a 2019 build because I could buy Hornady ammo off the shelf and not have to get all the shit to reload ANOTHER caliber when I'd realistically only shoot a couple hundred rounds of this stuff a year.

I honestly didn't know about 3.775 mags or 3.715 mags so I'll just make sure my build has what works for the 212 ELD-X. Learn something new every day :)

There's no reason not to go with the CIP length mags on a new build.

Tikka actions won't work with CIP length mags, but that is nothing new. Tikka has always been known as the "short" long action. That's one of the reasons that there isn't much aftermarket support for the long action Tikka chamberings.

There's no reason not to go with the CIP length mags on a new build.

Tikka actions won't work with CIP length mags, but that is nothing new. Tikka has always been known as the "short" long action. That's one of the reasons that there isn't much aftermarket support for the long action Tikka chamberings.

Sure if your intentions are to build something off a Norma or Lapua case. The 300 PRC body is .050 less is diameter and still has to feed reliably through the CIP mags. They may or may not but I would be willing to bet the military would not accept it.

Has anyone handloaded the 300 PRC with heavies and a long barrel? I'm curious how fast you can push the 200 - 230gr bullets out of a 26" barrel. I'm around 3000fps with 208-210s and 2850ish with 225-230s out of my 26" 300wm.

Looks like PVA now has the 300 PRC chambering listed as an option for the Mausingfield prefits. I don't see any details on twist rate but I'm assuming they will offer in a 9 twist. Going to wait a week to hope for a black friday offering and then will order one up. As it'll almost always be shot with a suppressor on it, 24" should be good, right?

Any online retailers have either the ammo or the brass in stock? I can't seem to find any

Last edited:
Looks like Accurate Mag makes a 300 Win magazine at 3.850 with an internal of 3.750 which I was not aware of. Fixes the mag issue as long as the action accepts it.

Looks like Accurate Mag makes a 300 Win magazine at 3.850 with an internal of 3.750 which I was not aware of. Fixes the mag issue as long as the action accepts it.

Funny, I was reading about this mag length stuff today and it made me just now lookup the 300WM magazine that I had ordered when I planned to build a 300WM. Looks like I stumbled in to ordering the right one:
"Accurate-Mag AICS Pattern Single Stack Magazine, 300 Win Mag 5 Round, 3.850" Length"
$80 at midwestgunworks.com
(I have it in a KRG Bravo stock/chassis and mag works great)

Looks like I'm all set once I can get the barrel, headspace gauges, and some ammo or brass.

Correct. This is what we have been saying but maybe not came across easily to understand. The CIP 300 win mags are the 3.850 mags. So you need the CIP bottom metal. Accurate makes these mags. So does a few others. MDT, Savage, AI, etc.

One of the nice perks about the cadex chassis is that all you need to do is swap out the mag sleeves and your off and running.

Attachments

• IMG_20181115_215140.jpg
    IMG_20181115_215140.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20181115_215219.jpg
    IMG_20181115_215219.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: stereo.pete
Seems to be another issue with the factory ammo overall length. Some of the rounds but not all are jamming into the lands when chambered. Just spoke to a smith that has been doing quite a bit with this cartridge since its launch and they have been keeping me up to date. Reamer and chamber were both to spec and felt it was very difficult to close the bolt on several rds. Extracted one of the rounds and was left with gun powder all over the place and bullet stuck in the chamber.

Hornady really needs to shorten the coal by .010 on these rounds.

Yes I'm aware and the factory loaded rds are 3.685. They are jamming in to the lands with a SAAMI reamer.

I've dished out about $3k for AXMC barrels in the last few weeks. I'm interested to see how this all works out. Conceptually speaking, it sounds promising...but my wallet needs to cool off.

Reactions: mercracing
Nice, now we just need to figure out the chamber issue. When is your rifle going to be done?

I sent it to Dave Tooley a few weeks ago. He is Just rebarreling my Cadex factory 300 wm rifle with a proof Carbon 9.4 twist 26" twist Sendero barrel in 300 prc I sent him. So hopefully soon but not sure how long his backlog is. Not in a rush but I am super excited for it. He said he has been shooting the 300 PRC for some time now, so I dont think he will have any issues chambering it.

I sent it to Dave Tooley a few weeks ago. He is Just rebarreling my Cadex factory 300 wm rifle with a proof Carbon 9.4 twist 26" twist Sendero barrel in 300 prc I sent him. So hopefully soon but not sure how long his backlog is. Not in a rush but I am super excited for it. He said he has been shooting the 300 PRC for some time now, so I dont think he will have any issues chambering it.

I guess it will depend on the reamer he is using. The saami spec reamer that I was given information on was used on a build and the factory 225 eld load was jamming into the lands and pulled the bullet out of the case. Not sure if this was just an isolated case or if the coal on this load is going to cause this to happen frequently.

Definitely will not be good for off the shelf rifles if that's the case.

I guess it will depend on the reamer he is using. The saami spec reamer that I was given information on was used on a build and the factory 225 eld load was jamming into the lands and pulled the bullet out of the case. Not sure if this was just an isolated case or if the coal on this load is going to cause this to happen frequently.

Well I will find out. @DAVETOOLEY any insight on what/why this would be the case as nick338 states. Assuming this an isolated issue with the sample of one.

Just wanting to make sure I'm good running these 212's and 225s on the work you are doing for me. Your insight and info is always appreciated on here.

Did you confirm correct chamber/freebore? Where do the lands sit compared to ogive of 225 factory ammo

What are the options for reloading dies? I only seem to find Hornady dies. Any Forster or Redding dies made for it?

Did you confirm correct chamber/freebore? Where do the lands sit compared to ogive of 225 factory ammo

This was not my rifle, I was just talking with the smith that has been testing it since the factory ammo was released so I cannot provide any dimensions. It was a brief conversation about the longer magazines that turned into the "oh and by the way we ran into another little snag while testing the factory 225 eld".

All I can tell you is that the saami spec reamer was used and 3.685" factory ammo is jammed into the lands. I was told that a loaded length of 3.675" would probably not have this problem.

At this point it's very little to go by and until the key players can provide some insight it's difficult to speculate what the outcome will be.

I've talked with a Hornady rep that has shot the factory 225 out of 2 different rifles and the results have been nothing short of amazing with accuracy and extreme spread, however I do not know who chambered them.