• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Barrels are just part of the game. Honestly for the 300 PRC the next plan is just to do a truck axle but we'll see.

I have seen enough Hornady atips blow up, and I can't risk that on a 2 day national match. Going to shoot the rest I have for practice and move on to the 220 LRHT

Reactions: BCX
I ordered and posted a heads up in the reloading section. Sorry man.

Anyone have any experience with the Berger 220s? I've been real happy with the 215s but I'm getting low on em. Kinda want to try the 220s

230 A-Tips gave me another 1 mile win today....but the highlight of my day was shooting a 5" group at 1000yds with two in one hole....but I lost that match in the play off...heh.

I'd love to shoot something cheaper on bullets...but my gun doesn't like the other stuff :(

Round Count now is : 848

230 A-Tips gave me another 1 mile win today....but the highlight of my day was shooting a 5" group at 1000yds with two in one hole....but I lost that match in the play off...heh.

I'd love to shoot something cheaper on bullets...but my gun doesn't like the other stuff :(

Round Count now is : 848

What brass are you shooting?

What brass are you shooting?

ADG...and I think I forgot to mention....My groups and 1 mile today....Atlas Bipod and Precision Underground rear bag.....a tactical rifle....on a concrete bench.

Anyone have any experience with the Berger 220s? I've been real happy with the 215s but I'm getting low on em. Kinda want to try the 220s

That's what I am going to. 220, they like jump so it should be easy...

Has anyone worn out their ADG brass yet? If so how many firings did you get out of it?
also how heavily were you loaded?

Has anyone worn out their ADG brass yet? If so how many firings did you get out of it?
also how heavily were you loaded?

I'm only on loading 5 on some ADG Brass. If you read the thread...I load toward the very hot side....the "don't do this at home...I'm a Professional...idiot"...heh. I use primer pocket pin gauges and I've yet to wear out a primer pocket on the ADG. Some of the Hornady gave up their primer pockets on the 3rd firing.

I don't wear out the brass doing a full length resize though...I use an LE Wilson arbor press neck die and do minimal movement of brass in the neck/shoulder. I haven't seen any length movement...and haven't had to trim since an initial touch up job. My custom chamber is very tight....I don't know about people that have a factory chamber...

Anyway...that's my experience so far.

Who is running the 30 Sherman Mag?

Did I miss it in this thread. Anyone have the Amp setting (Aztec or otherwise) for ADG brass.?

Anyone want to help me reload 100 rounds of 300PRC? It was a fun weekend...but I'm super lazy right now...

adgbrass.png

• Haha
I would still sacrifice a piece of brass if you have AZTEC. If you turn your necks...it will change things.

28" proof had a good node little over 3200 slight ejector mark-Rich runs hotter then me
i think it's more so the extra 4" of barrel than running super hot
i'd like to find a lower node around that same 3180 mark versus running a high node at 3300

His velocity numbers across the board seem like they have wicked high pressures.

not saying I don’t like pressure as well.

Might be the n570 he's using w some long freebore

His velocity numbers across the board seem like they have wicked high pressures.

not saying I don’t like pressure as well.
probably yes sometimes. but he reports good brass life and barrel life which I'm sure if partially that he uses slow powders heavy bullets and his case design too

i have seen him make mention with certain loads about pressure and brass life (not normally the long actions)

So Round Count 848. Average load is 78.0 grains of N565. I just decided to borescope my barrel. I hate doing it because the OCD side of you can find problems that aren't problems. However, I was both looking for cleaning issues and....well it is getting nearer and nearer to what I believe is end of life for this barrel.

I did find some cleaning issues. I found some crud on the back side of the lugs and some carbon dookies in random places....blown up on the screen they look like cow patties..but I know they are small. It was just a matter of running another wet patch and a couple of scrubs with a brush and they were out. The back of the lugs....well I don't have the proper tool for that...but I used an AR-15 lug foam swab and got most of the stuff out.

I use Boretech Carbon Remover and never clean for copper....I've never seen a concernable build up on match rifle barrels...and a part of me feels like a tiny bit of copper is like laying down new rubber on a race track...it isn't ready until it has a little layer built up. Anyway...not really much copper...I can see color...but it is faint.

Then I looked at two things I've been scared to look for....the crowning hidden by the brake...and firecracking in the throat and start of the rifling. I was amazed at how little fire cracking there was. I mean, I run some pretty hot loads..but I don't run long strings of fire. I was expecting some serious alligator texture. The Bartlein barrel still has like new shine along the entire length....except places with a little copper. The crowning was like new...no problems there.

Currently I have the barrel plugged with some Boretech filled the entire barrel and letting it soak for a while....just a tiny ring of carbon at the throat/rifling junction...but I mean tiny. I've never had a heavy bolt lift or sticky brass on anything except some stupid hot loads..and that wasn't even all that sticky...just felt recoil was a warning.

I was thinking 1000 - 1200 rounds of life...but we may push that even further. We will find out though....I'll be shooting another ~100 rounds in a few weeks in a 1mile and 1000yd bench rest...and the 1000yd bench rest will surely show me any accuracy issues...and then GBA Nationals later in August.....where I will shoot probably 150 rounds. That will put me over 1100 by the time that is all said and done...and if I can post some small groups at 1050 rounds...then I'm going to keep running it in some ELR Matches in the fall out to 2700yds. It will be interesting to see the longevity of the 300PRC barrels.

What barrel contour? Im surprised w the lack of fire cracking. N570?

What barrel contour? Im surprised w the lack of fire cracking. N570?

To be technical...it is a Bartlein 30/9 SS Heavy Varmit 28".....spiral fluted...which helps with the heat.

N565

Lost any speed yet?

No....I'd say it is getting faster...but that is only because it is getting hotter outside...we'll see when I can do a test on an 80F day instead of 94F day...so I can look at some older data...

I just plopped down the deposit for a new 300 PRC build and have been enjoying the wealth of knowledge that all of you have shared. Thank you.

But for dies, are the Whidden dies not so good? Should I be getting the Wilson on-line seaters instead?

I've only ever used Redding and Forster so I'm not sure what's the best route to go.