• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

I'm excited to see this, I can't believe it took so long to get this out. Dave, do you have any inside information on the development or what some of the hold ups were?

Out of curiosity, what are the differences between the 300 PRC and the 300 RCM (parent case for the 6.5 PRC and I assume the 300 PRC)?

Out of curiosity, what are the differences between the 300 PRC and the 300 RCM (parent case for the 6.5 PRC and I assume the 300 PRC)?
This is a 65mm case, long action the 6.5 PRC is, ostensibly, a short action cartridge.
This is basically the 7LRM, but in .30 cal. This is what the new sniper rifles SHOULD have been chambered in, instead of .300 WM (approx 5 grains more capacity in the same envelope).

More ass than the .300 WM, less than the ultra-mags and Nosler offerings. Same .532 boltface as standard magnums just no retarded belt.

This is a 65mm case, long action the 6.5 PRC is, ostensibly, a short action cartridge.
This is basically the 7LRM, but in .30 cal. This is what the new sniper rifles SHOULD have been chambered in, instead of .300 WM (approx 5 grains more capacity in the same envelope).

More ass than the .300 WM, less than the ultra-mags and Nosler offerings. Same .532 boltface as standard magnums just no retarded belt.

And no rebated rim like the ultra mags, short mags, SAUM, Noslers. This is exactly what all magnums should have been. Charles Newton did it in the early 1900's and for whatever reason it never took off. Its crazy that it took this long for someone to do it again.

Will THIS round work in an unmodified AXMC?

I believe so if you have the standard Magnum boltface & magnum magazine (Not the LM boltface / magazine).
I'm ordering a barrel from Dave for one, so in a couple months once all the brass is out and such, I'll be able to try it.

I believe so if you have the standard Magnum boltface & magnum magazine (Not the LM boltface / magazine).
I'm ordering a barrel from Dave for one, so in a couple months once all the brass is out and such, I'll be able to try it.

I do. Please keep us posted, I’d love a Win Mag without having to fuck around with the belt. Is there a pic or a print somewhere of this cartridge?

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
My 30-375R works great in AI 300WM mags.

I'm getting 2935 FPS in a 30" 9 twist with 225's and 79.5gr Retumbo.

It's been a good cartridge with long barrel life at just short of 1600 rounds. I'm still on what's left of the 200 brass I bought but when I opened a new can of H1000 years ago I lost about 50 of them because the new jug was a slightly faster burn rate I think. So approx 8-9 cycles.

Hit a plate at 2356Y and won that ELR match.

Do you think the recoil is in the 300WM ballpark?

Reactions: MikelLee
With my version, in a 23lb rifle with brake, the recoil is soft. After thinking about what Dave described, the recoil does seem to have more of a push than a smack to the shoulder.

I've never once thought to myself, I think I'll shoot my other rifle because this thing is uncomfortable to shoot.

Here you go

Attachments

• 300 PRC pic.jpg
    300 PRC pic.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 2,326
What is the overall case length? Is it the 2.62” of the WM or closer to the 2.5” of the Norma

Just a side note. For PSRI we did some testing at 2000 yds. 15-19MPH cross wind, 5'X5' steel plate at 2K. I was shooting the 300 PRC w/225 HPBT against a 338 Lapua w/285's. I ran out of travel in my scope and was holding on a tree limb somewhere over the plate. Once I got on I shot a group on the bottom of the steel about 36" wide and 22" high. The 338 Lapua shot a 36" wide X 19" high group on the top half of the steel . I was surprised at that kind of precision in those winds.

Any thoughts on running Sierra's new 200 gr Matchking with this?

Dave, have you developed any loads with solids for this cartridge?

Sorry no. I moved last fall. Still unpacking and fixing things around the house. When I get time I do have a 1200 yd. range I can use when there's no crops in the field. It's flat here with huge agricultural fields. I'll meet the right person soon and set up a full time range to a mile.

Brass will be available this fall. It's not on the SAAMI site yet but that never happens fast for any new cartridge. If the SAAMI spec sheet is available I'll try to get and post it. Dave Manson has the reamer specs.

DaveTooley and Steve123 Would this be a logical caliber step up from a 300 WM and staying reasonable in cost compared to going to the 338 Lapuas or something built on the Ultra mag or other case. What have your experiences been as far as "effective" range, 2200 yards or further? I've been bitten by the ELR bug, but want to keep costs reasonable. Thanks.

Reactions: Piper907
Hi C,

For me the convenience is having a shorter case for seating long bullets at mag length, and of course there's no belt to deal with. When I look up 300WM with 230's there's quite a bit of difference in what people report for velocities, 2700's to 2900's??? so I don't know what to tell you. Mine is at 2935 fps with 225's but it's not a hot load.

If I were serious about ELR I'd get a bigger cartridge and caliber but I haven't tried the 198 Flatlines.

My barrel is pretty much shot out and it might be winter before I get a new barrel but for my purposes I'm going to stick with mine.

Reactions: Nvcnvc