• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

I don't know what that means, but I'm about to googlefoo it.
So it's water formed almost exactly the same way as fire forming without putting any wear on the barrel or brass and not costing any money after the forming kit is paid for. That's pretty cool. I would go that rout if I did want a improved barrel. I'm following some of the 20 inch builds though, and my end up going that rout. I think a ten pound 1500 yard factory ammo rifle would be a lot of fun. No point with an improved chamber if I go that way. Also, watching for any real world differences at the extreme ranges. If the SAAMI chambers will get it done without burning barrels and brass then there would be no benefit for me as someone just getting into the ELR hobby. Thanks for the info.

Why not buy a Hydro forming die from Whidden and save your barrel's life

I don’t think whidden makes them for this cartridge and it makes a rounded shoulder/case junction so it does 90% of the job but you still have to fire it to get that sharper corner

So it's water formed almost exactly the same way as fire forming without putting any wear on the barrel or brass and not costing any money after the forming kit is paid for. That's pretty cool. I would go that rout if I did want a improved barrel. I'm following some of the 20 inch builds though, and my end up going that rout. I think a ten pound 1500 yard factory ammo rifle would be a lot of fun. No point with an improved chamber if I go that way. Also, watching for any real world differences at the extreme ranges. If the SAAMI chambers will get it done without burning barrels and brass then there would be no benefit for me as someone just getting into the ELR hobby. Thanks for the info.
if you're only going to shoot factory for a while anyways. if you got an improved chamber you'd have fireformed brass for the next barrel or when you start reloading

whidden does a lot of custom stuff. hornady too. doubt it'd be an issue getting dies.

What are you guys using for dies?
I can get the Hornady match grade fl bushing dies for about the same price as standard fl Redding dies.
What do you all recommend?

I can get the Hornady match grade fl bushing dies for about the same price as standard fl Redding dies.

The Redding FL type S bushing die is what I use. It's about a 3 week order from them and is a "custom" die.

Call up https://www.accuratearmsandammo.com and they will get you squared away. Awesome folks.

Much better then the Hornady dies.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA

Not happy with my Hornady die - ordered a custom die from Whidden. Will let you know how it is when it arrives.

Hey guys, help me out here. I know I have recently been to an online tool to calculate theoretical muzzle velocity by barrel length. I am playing around with an idea. Maybe it's dumb but now that I've started digesting the information in this thread my imagination is starting to play a little game. I want to see what a 20 inch barrel would be capable of and need to run numbers on the calculators but am guessing at muzzle velocity for 20 inches based of 50-100 fps per inch taken off. I'm not asking anyone to run all the numbers for me, I can do that. I just can't remember where I was that would give you an idea of your muzzle velocity if you knew the rest of the data on the bullet, powder, gun mix. I've played with the search but keep running into the calculators given a known velocity.

I'm trying to figure out how dumb an idea it is to try and build a sporting rifle capable of hitting 1650. I know, crazy idea. but would it not be cool as hell.

Hey guys, help me out here. I know I have recently been to an online tool to calculate theoretical muzzle velocity by barrel length. I am playing around with an idea. Maybe it's dumb but now that I've started digesting the information in this thread my imagination is starting to play a little game. I want to see what a 20 inch barrel would be capable of and need to run numbers on the calculators but am guessing at muzzle velocity for 20 inches based of 50-100 fps per inch taken off. I'm not asking anyone to run all the numbers for me, I can do that. I just can't remember where I was that would give you an idea of your muzzle velocity if you knew the rest of the data on the bullet, powder, gun mix. I've played with the search but keep running into the calculators given a known velocity.

I'm trying to figure out how dumb an idea it is to try and build a sporting rifle capable of hitting 1650. I know, crazy idea. but would it not be cool as hell.
Bill Parr on rifleshooter.com has done some experiments with this for different cartridges. You could probably extrapolate from this:

Reactions: mdeamicis
Bill Parr on rifleshooter.com has done some experiments with this for different cartridges. You could probably extrapolate from this:
Not happy with my Hornady die - ordered a custom die from Whidden. Will let you know how it is when it arrives.
What is it about the Hornady die that you're unhappy with?
I use Hornady dies for my 6.5 saum, and 6 creed. They've been great in those chamberings

Yea, i read that one a long time ago, and used the basic idea from memory to guess 50fps optimistically, which puts the 230 and 250 pills in the window for supersonic at a mile out of 20 inches. I might make it a mission to do that. The state of the art has made a mile easy. Why not make it a little hard on myself eh. 10 pounds, 20 inches and a mile or die trying. Or at least have a blast trying.

I've seen multiple tests conducted on a few calibers ranging from 22 cal to 338 and almost universally it's 20-25fps per inch until you get into SBR lengths. There may be some +/- depending on powder used etc... But my 31" barrel is about 100-120 fps faster than the 24" published data, which accounts for about 15-20fps per inch. The above test wiggles on the higher side of that, 30-40fps per inch.

I'd expect a 20" 300 PRC to get about 2700-2750fps with a 225 or 230gr bullet. In the 2500-2600 range for a 250.

I've seen multiple tests conducted on a few calibers ranging from 22 cal to 338 and almost universally it's 20-25fps per inch until you get into SBR lengths. There may be some +/- depending on powder used etc... But my 31" barrel is about 100-120 fps faster than the 24" published data, which accounts for about 15-20fps per inch. The above test wiggles on the higher side of that, 30-40fps per inch.

I'd expect a 20" 300 PRC to get about 2700-2750fps with a 225 or 230gr bullet. In the 2500-2600 range for a 250.

WOW! That's fantastic. I think I will have to start researching a build. Up until a week ago I was planning to buy a RPR in 65CM and start breaking into ELR when my kids are about done with high school. Looks like those plans are changing. Thanks for the insight.

I don’t think whidden makes them for this cartridge and it makes a rounded shoulder/case junction so it does 90% of the job but you still have to fire it to get that sharper corner

They will custom make anything you want. Send in 3 pieces of fired brass 2 weeks later you're in business. Once I form my brass i run it in my reloading die and I have had zero difference. I run a 22" .338 Norma Magnum AI and its magical

I posted about this in #893.
a 21" barrel with a 1:8.5" twist.
Shooting Hornady factory 225gr ELD-Match I'm averaging 2708 fps.

• Love
Reactions: mdeamicis
They will custom make anything you want. Send in 3 pieces of fired brass 2 weeks later you're in business. Once I form my brass i run it in my reloading die and I have had zero difference. I run a 22" .338 Norma Magnum AI and its magical

It's a little more than two weeks right now... I ordered mine about two months ago. Their web site is saying to allow 14-16 weeks. Hopefully mine will get here soon. I'll post some results comparing it to Hornady when I get it. Though I'm going to be pretty distracted for a while. Spartan Precision called me today to tell me that my new 6mm BRA build is ready for pick up :)

Looks like it's a backorder situation, but

Match 300 PRC for $24.67/box at SWFA

Same $24.67/box price on Precision Hunter
Man wish I saw that then. $38 a box now.

Any reason to get the 212 over the 225 or vice versa? Leaning towards the 212 in case I want to hunt with it.
You can have a target load and a hunting load. For me in shooting the heavies because its chambered in my DT... tad heavy for hunting.

I ordered 5 boxes of the 212s at the sale price and all they did was cancel my order. Even when it said 5 in stock. They said no go on backorder. Just straight canceled. Won't order from them again..

Reactions: waveslayer
Bummer. Where are you ordering from now?

I just use the factory ammo to shoot to fire form my brass and then hand load. At that price it's too cheap to not buy just for the brass for skipping handloading for fire forming. I bought all my stuff from Midway when it first came out.

I ordered 5 boxes of the 212s at the sale price and all they did was cancel my order. Even when it said 5 in stock. They said no go on backorder. Just straight canceled. Won't order from them again..
Sorry to hear that. I ordered 5 x 212s and 2x225s that showed in stock as well as a case of 225s as a backorder. The case of 225s was delivered this past week and the others have ETA of Wednesday. I was honestly surprised but thrilled at the deal. Also got 300 rds of 6.5CM Am Gunner for a steal.

Last edited:
I just use the factory ammo to shoot to fire form my brass and then hand load. At that price it's too cheap to not buy just for the brass for skipping handloading for fire forming. I bought all my stuff from Midway when it first came out.
Hanks. That's my plan. Just need to buy the initial factory ammo.

Sorry to hear that. I ordered 5 x 212s and 2x220s that showed in stock as well as a case of 220s as a backorder. The case of 220s was delivered this past week and the others have ETA of Wednesday. I was honestly surprised but thrilled at the deal. Also got 300 rds of 6.5CM Am Gunner for a steal.

Assuming you mean 225s?

You ordered a case of 225s on backorder and they already shipped/delivered before the "in stock ones did??

Sorry to hear that. I ordered 5 x 212s and 2x220s that showed in stock as well as a case of 220s as a backorder. The case of 220s was delivered this past week and the others have ETA of Wednesday. I was honestly surprised but thrilled at the deal. Also got 300 rds of 6.5CM Am Gunner for a steal.
Was there a limit to how much you could back order? Did you order in store or online?

Looks like it's a backorder situation, but

Match 300 PRC for $24.67/box at SWFA

Same $24.67/box price on Precision Hunter
Any idea why they were on sale?

Assuming you mean 225s?

You ordered a case of 225s on backorder and they already shipped/delivered before the "in stock ones did??
sorry, yes, 225s. I had one initial order just of many things that showed as in stock. I only ordered up to the in stock count. Then, after seeing that I could backorder, I figured I'd try for a case of the 225s to see what happened. They created UPS labels for both orders on Monday, 7/22. But, for some reason the order with the variety of different ammo did not actually get to UPS a few days later. The order of the case of 225s, which was supposedly backordered, did get to UPS on 7/22 and arrived to me a few days later.

Was there a limit to how much you could back order? Did you order in store or online?
There may have been a limit. I just tried a single case.

Any idea why they were on sale?
No idea. Just saw an email from them and happened to get to site early on in the sale and stocked up.

With having gotten lucky on the SWFA order, I will be listing up my 3 boxes of Hornady 30 PRC brass (still new and sealed) in the PX shortly.

Been going back and forth with SWFA customer service and they insist that the sale does not include any backorder product and will not honor the sale for the items that showed in stock when ordered. Wonder how many others got the shaft also.

Glad you got the deal though!

Last edited:
Anyone else have 29-30 inch barrels shooting 230 A-Tips yet with H1k and RL26 that have any velocities to report?

Been going back and forth with SWFA customer service and they insist that the sale does not include any backorder product and will not honor the sale for the items that showed in stock when ordered. Wonder how many others got the shaft also.

Glad you got the deal though!
SWFA has annoyed me before and I normally don't order from them. A while back they had a good deal on a nice scope listed in stock but then couldn't ship it within 3 weeks. These prices were just too low to pass up. Sorry they jacked others over, I had pretty much expected I'd be screwed out of something in my order. Your post made me go back and look to confirm for sure that my case was charged at the sale price.

Their site was a bit funky during the sale. Items seemed to go out of stock and come back in during the few days of the sale, even over the weekend when I doubt anyone was actually updating inventory. The sale email did state it did not apply to backorders so they must have had a short lived glitch in their ordering.

Anyone else have 29-30 inch barrels shooting 230 A-Tips yet with H1k and RL26 that have any velocities to report?
Bought 200 230 gAy tips to try in mine along with 200gr Sierras, 215 Berger's.
All testing was done at 850 through a Chrony. Retumbo, Rel26, H-1000. Cycling through 50 pieces to see end of life. The 230s shot ok @2920 but never as good as the 225s, Bergers, or for that matter, the 200 grain Sierras.
Finally got the SD down to 4 and ran the gAy tips and 225s out to 1650. Easy button with the 225s @2900 with Retumbo. I have 150 230s left if someone wants to play with em.
PM me. I'll be out of town till mid August, then I'll list and ship.. I have several other Samplings of 30 Cal bullets I tried as well.

Bought 200 230 gAy tips to try in mine along with 200gr Sierras, 215 Berger's.
All testing was done at 850 through a Chrony. Retumbo, Rel26, H-1000. Cycling through 50 pieces to see end of life. The 230s shot ok @2920 but never as good as the 225s, Bergers, or for that matter, the 200 grain Sierras.
Finally got the SD down to 4 and ran the gAy tips and 225s out to 1650. Easy button with the 225s @2900 with Retumbo. I have 150 230s left if someone wants to play with em.
PM me. I'll be out of town till mid August, then I'll list and ship.. I have several other Samplings of 30 Cal bullets I tried as well.

PM sent.

What barrel length were you getting 2920 with?

Thanks

Nothing wrong with the Hornady 212’s 1000yards 18” plate 15mph gusting one sighter 3 perfect

2EB703AB-BA58-406C-BC0E-EBEBDBC86D26.jpeg

I emailed ADG and asked if they have any plans to start making 300 PRC brass.
They responded and said they're considering it, but customer input drives what they make.
So all you guys with a PRC need to start hounding ADG!

I emailed ADG and asked if they have any plans to start making 300 PRC brass.
They responded and said they're considering it, but customer input drives what they make.
So all you guys with a PRC need to start hounding ADG!

Been doing this since December. If ADG doesn't do it Peterson would get my money if they did first.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but would a 300 weatherby mag be good for rechambering to 300PRC? Local gun sto
re has a nice one in stock and I liked it.

Thanks for the help.

I have settled on a load for my 300 prc. Haven't been able to get out to distance but Reloader 26 is legit. I also got my hands on some of the new Aluminum Atips.

I was down to a SD of 2 to 3 using 74.2 to 74.6 gr Rl-26.
Average velocity is 2920 225gr pills

Aye, 74.3 with A-tips and 74.6 with 225's seem to be the sweet spots for me. I'm playing musical scopes right now but plan on getting more 300 action after the Vortex Extreme.

Reactions: doctordoctor
I have settled on a load for my 300 prc. Haven't been able to get out to distance but Reloader 26 is legit. I also got my hands on some of the new Aluminum Atips.

I'm going to do a new ladder with my 8x68 fire formed and RL26 as soon as I can get out to the range. I'm considering doing it with Berger 230s... I know, change one thing at a time, right?

Would you mind sharing what primer, and your OAL?
That's awesome SD and Velocity!
I've got an 8lb Jug of RL26, and a pile of N570 that I'll be using when my barrel is done in a few weeks.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but would a 300 weatherby mag be good for rechambering to 300PRC? Local gun sto
re has a nice one in stock and I liked it.

Thanks for the help.
I have one in 6.5 300 and I loaded 3 rounds of 225 Hornady 300 prc in mag well. It would feed them if barreled in 300 prc. My current 300 prc is a bug nut Bartlien from Greg at SPR on a defiance deviant and the short bolt throw and smoothness of the weatherby is better. I will get 300 prc barrel from Greg for the Weatherby once it's shot out.

Attachments

• 20190614_142650.jpg
    20190614_142650.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 112