• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

300 Rum

11ZuluB4

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2008
Banks OR
Thinking of a build around a Rem 700 LA in 300 Rum. Just kicking around what parts I would need. Im just talking "big components" right now. Any of you guys build one of these. Did a quick search and couldnt find much on the caliber on here. Anyways, throw out some ideas if you all like.

700 LA
Magnum bolt face
30 cal blank (unknown brand at the time
Manners T4 stock
Badger recoil lug

Anyone know what size mag box would be needed for this?

Re: 300 Rum

If you want to run a BDL style box, I'd go with an extended Wyatts box to you can run the heavies and seat them out where they need to be. What are you planning on using it for?

As far as use, just shooting steel at rediculous ranges. I was looking through all the calibers trying to decide what to do and spotted the RUM. I remimbered that a friend had one and I gave him a call. Went out to his place and was shooting steel and it got me pretty excited. I just want something a little different and not quite in the mainstream if you catch my drift. Shot it and liked it

B4

I would run a brake as well. Won't be much fun to shoot without it. I had a Defensive Edge brake on mine. It worked great, but I'm sure most of the other ones will also.

300 RUM: 30" 10 twist Hart barrel, Nesika action, it likes 190 SMK's, shoots tiny little groups. Insanely accurate. used to shoot a LaRue target at 1800 yds. Never hit it on the first shot but did get a first round hit on a steel full size torso target at 1800 yds. Got it to shoot WAY out there and it does that job perfectly well.
DSCN1580web-1.gif

100 yds
880web-1.gif

Thats outstanding. Thats some stuff I would like to do. Has a little bit of reach on my 5R in .308 lol. Anyone have recommendations on a platform ie stock? Will I need to modify the stock at all to except a enlarged bdl box like the one that was mentioned earlier?

Both rifles are 300 RUM's. The bottom one is set in a McMillan stock. I'm sure either GAP or Mark Chanlynn can do that for you no problem. Not sure what bottom metal I'd use but I bet George at GAP has seen this before and knows what to recommmend.
Jim3.gif

I'm working on one of these myself. If you want to shoot the heaviest 30 cal bullets up around 240 gr, think about speeding up your twist rate to 1 in 9 or at least 9.5. The 1 in 10 may do it, but the 1 in 9 would be better. This comes per my conversation with the folks at Sierra discussing using their 240 gr SMK.