• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 300 Whisper Barrel Work

Texas_Archer

Long-time Lurker
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2009
Houston, TX
I talked to the guys at Krieger and decided to go with one of their barrels for a 300 Whisper AR build. The question is, since they do not complete AR15 barrels, who do you guys suggest I get to finish the barrel?

Build Specs:

Krieger 1:7 5R barrel 14.5"
Troy TRX Extreme BattleRails
Rainer Arms Match Upper Receiver (already purchased)
Spikes Tactical Lower
Geissele DM Trigger (Already purchased)
Magpul PRS Stock (already purchased)
BCM Ion Bonded BCG (already purchased)

All I need is someone to finish the barrel, decide on what gas system to use (leaning toward mid-length but open to suggestions), and find a good adjustable gas block (open to suggestions).

Thanks.

Re: 300 Whisper Barrel Work

If you plan to use sub sonic loads and want it to function, you really need to consider a pistol gas system that is adjustable.

I have a customer who has a whisper build using a model 1 barrel with pistol gas system. He has no complaints using heavy sub sonic loads.

If you want, I can ask him about further details.

I have found that more consistent velocities can be obtained with sub sonic loads using a barrel that does not have a tight bore as to the caliber. Also, it may be a good idea to have the chamber cut with a reamer that has a larger neck spec.

A Hart 1-8 twist is a good choice.

As to a smith to finish your barrel, there are many here that can do that for you.

Dave over @ Liberty Suppressors has built them on various platforms.

definatly go with an adjustable gas block the reason is you will be able to run from a 240gr MatchKing to a 110gr projectile just by adjusting the gas pressure. i would laos look at the 8 twist but the 7 will work the 8 also does. make sure you get a barrel that is .308 and no smaller the .3075 and .307 barrels are good for shooting lighter projectiles but the baring surface on the long heavy bullets will work against you. I dont know the smiths near you in the US i would take the abvice above if Dave at Liberty Supressors has built them i would get onto him and his preferences on the barrels as he has built them he will also be able to advise you on the gas lengths and systems you will require. also depending on the barrel length the gas system and tube will likley need to be shorter than longer as you only use around 10gr of powder to achieve 1050fps.

they are great to build on bolt guns aswell i have one close to a 7mm whisper it is awsome to play with.

they look like a good bullet for sub use and will work in a 7 or 8 twist so it would make no diference the thing is that if you go for a faster twist the 7 would also help with tumbeling on impact.

I hope it all works well for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they look like a good bullet for sub use and will work in a 7 or 8 twist so it would make no diference the thing is that if you <span style="font-weight: bold">go for a faster twist the 7 would also help with tumbeling on impact</span>.

I hope it all works well for you.

</div></div>

Thats what I was thinking.