• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Win Mag - to crimp or not to crimp

Jpw2

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2020
Just getting my first 300WM going, getting ready to order my dies and my question has to do with whether or not to taper crimp hand loads? It will be my first time reloading this cartridge, thanks for your input.

I'm guessing you're reloading for a bolt gun. In that case, no, do not crimp. Typically, you'll want .001-.002" neck tension.

I'm guessing you're reloading for a bolt gun. In that case, no, do not crimp. Typically, you'll want .001-.002" neck tension.
Thank you, I will be using either the Redding Type S dies or the RCBS equivalent with appropriate bushing.

I generally don't crimp... unless I am planning on the ammo getting beat up. Load up a few rounds and run them through the gun without firing-- the same way that you will run the bolt the rest of the time. Measure OAL before and after- and see if you need a crimp. One of my guns will seat the bullet deeper if I run the bolt hard with no crimp- so I use a crimp as a band-aid instead of actually fixing the issue.

I haven't had better accuracy or consistency with a crimp but many people say they do.

Don’t crimp unless you have a cannelure to crimp into, otherwise all you’re doing is fighting the jacket.

1 crimp my 300 win. It’s only used as a hunting round for me and the ammo gets beat up. Flying/elevation change/riding in a pack I had some bullets slip on an elk hunt and that settled it for me.

I only crimp loads for revolvers and semi-autos. My 300wm is single fed with berger 210 vld’s so no reason to crimp, and there is no cannelure (which wouldn’t match my seating depth anyway).

I tend a very lightly crimp my rounds because they’re going to be traveling with me and rattling back-and-forth potential he in an ammo can or a box.

As such a light taper crimp is warranted....