• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 WinMag vs 300 PRC vs 300 Norma

Everything considered I'd choose the new 300 PRC. Reloading bullet options are greater than for the other two cartridges.
I'm thinking of selling my .300 Win. mag. trued Remington-actioned HS Precision target rifle. It's in an M24 style HS Precision stock and the action and fluted barrel are stainless. OR I may have it re-chambered to .300 PRC. Still thinkin'...
Yeah....you should just get rid of that 300WINMAG junk and buy a dedicated 300PRC machine.

If people want to step into ELR , first they have to decide what bullet they will be using. Spin a barrel with longer freebore and faster twist for the long high BC bullet. I have 3x 338caliber barrel all use different bullets. Warner tool, badlands, cutting edge made some really good high BC solid copper bullets but requires faster twist barrel.

The 300prc components are hard to get. People selling the hornady 300prc dies on eBay for 160 bucks. 300nm dies and brass are much easier to obtain.

Last edited:
Reactions: VargmatII and BCX
I'm leaning towards 300NM myself. Why do you say its the best choice?

Its ability to push the 230gr or heavier bullets faster and more efficiently than the other magnums.

Better case design, super easy to load develop. The shorter, fat case of the Norma allows you to get the boattail juncture of the bullet above the neck shoulder juncture of the case without running into mag length issues. Longer cases like the 300 Rum can generate good velocity, but the bullet is stuffed way into the case.

Reactions: deersniper
For me, This is why for my next bolt gun, I really think I am going to pick up an MRAD or AI, as when it comes time for a swap, its 2 minutes and done.

Or desert tech. Desert tech can run everything from 223-338lm/nm and has less shift from barre to barrel versus AI. AI is smoother and more ergonomic though.

At the very least a action that takes shouldered prefits.

Or desert tech. Desert tech can run everything from 223-338lm/nm and has less shift from barre to barrel versus AI. AI is smoother and more ergonomic though.

At the very least a action that takes shouldered prefits.
brah I had a DT SRS Covert. Probably the second most disappointing gun I ever purchased behind a blackaces tactical glued together heap of ape shit he called a shotgun. as for the DT, so much cheap flimsy feeling plastic. sharp edges on the seams. trigger was the worst Ive ever experienced on something people consider precision. bolt was like it was going thru a chamber filled with sand no matter how much oil was in there. overall finish machining was abysmal. seriously, I paid new gun money for it and couldnt get rid of it fast enough. cool concept. super tiny super accurate rifle. too bad mine showed up lookin to reinvent overpriced shit.

Looking at ammo shelves in stores and online . Im glad I reload 300 win mag .

Attachments

• 20210115_094210.jpg
    20210115_094210.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: camrod809
I am in the process of saving up for a .300 PRC because I cannot use .300 Norma Mag with my Silenco Omega suppressor. Can anyone here tell me what your velocities are at 1760yds for 24"-28" barreled .300 PRC? I understand velocities will differ greatly but just looking for a ballpark velocity. Thank you.

I emailed SiCo and their reply was "300PRC will be no problem, but the Omega 300 is not rated for 300 Norma.".
When I called SiCo they told me that the Norma or 300 RUM was fine for my Omega 300. Haven't used it on a Norma though. Alot of people say that a 338 can is perfect for a cartridge that size.

When I called SiCo they told me that the Norma or 300 RUM was fine for my Omega 300. Haven't used it on a Norma though. Alot of people say that a 338 can is perfect for a cartridge that size.

Not going to chance it. I'm going to play it safe and follow their guidance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210119-180847_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210119-180847_Gmail.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 104
Question for you experts out there. Warning: beginner here.
I’ve wanted an MRAD in 300NM, but I simply don’t know enough when it comes to twist rate, SG, etc. The MRAD appears to offer a 1/8 twist, and I’m a little worried about that.

Using the Berger stability calculator: At 59 degrees at sea level I got an SG of 2.31 with the 215gr assuming 3017fps for a 26” barrel. Is that too high of an SG?

It looks like the RPMS for Berger factory 215gr ammo in a 1-8 twist 26” barrel would be approximately 3017x720/8=271,530 rpm. Is that getting too close to the 300,000 rpm rule of thumb for possible bullet failure?

I want an MRAD, but am worried about a 1/8 barrel that it comes with because of the above concerns...
My bet is that with a monolithic bullet you're not going to have to worry about bullet failure at high rpms. The rest of your question is beyond me. That said, I don't think the MRAD would be built with anything you're going to have to worry about in terms of twist or barrel design. I may be wrong, but I think they went with Proof barrels, and those folks know a thing or three about barrels.

brah I had a DT SRS Covert. Probably the second most disappointing gun I ever purchased behind a blackaces tactical glued together heap of ape shit he called a shotgun. as for the DT, so much cheap flimsy feeling plastic. sharp edges on the seams. trigger was the worst Ive ever experienced on something people consider precision. bolt was like it was going thru a chamber filled with sand no matter how much oil was in there. overall finish machining was abysmal. seriously, I paid new gun money for it and couldnt get rid of it fast enough. cool concept. super tiny super accurate rifle. too bad mine showed up lookin to reinvent overpriced shit.

Wrong

Trigger is great

Who gives a f about seams and fit finish llk

Bolt may be a little sandy

Wrong

Trigger is great

Who gives a f about seams and fit finish llk

Bolt may be a little sandy
maybe i had an anomaly. my trigger sucked dude. and I guess when paying a premium, i thought a little attention to detail would be warranted. at least we agree about the bolt. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha