• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 wsm

Ragin_cajun

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
hey does anyone shoot the 300 sa mag at 1000yds? i now the 300 mag is very nice but i havent heard much about the short action mag. i have a chance to get a new rem 700 in 300 wsm for real cheap and like it as a hunting rifle for large game and some longrange tactical shooting

Re: 300 wsm

From what ive red here on the hide they will reach out ther just fine.Lots of guys love them.

mine will be here with in a week or so...but plan on shooting 208 AMAX bullets. Its a great caliber...has limitations like anthing over 208 you may have trouble loading to where in the 300 win mag you can load the 225grns bullets with no issues...most likely you will not be able to do that with the WSM.

That's what I am going with on my current build.

I have shot my 300 WSM at 1000 yds. I love it, have had some of my best groups with that rifle (stock Remington 700 with manners stock). Seems to really like the 175 SMK but use nosler 180 accubonds for hunting.
I say get it, especially if it's a great deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigbiggun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey does anyone shoot the 300 sa mag at 1000yds? i now the 300 mag is very nice but i havent heard much about the short action mag. i have a chance to get a new rem 700 in 300 wsm for real cheap and like it as a hunting rifle for large game and some longrange tactical shooting </div></div>

the cartridge for 1000 yds: absolutely, 175 in 308 is good to a thousand and the WSM will pick up 200 ft/sec, of course the ammo is more spendy than 308 also

now to use the rifle that you would want to carry hunting for shooting at 1000 yds --- not so much - you can lob bullets to 1000 no problem, but if you want it to mean something, a heavy "ish" profile barrel, solid stock, and quality scope are all necessary, none of them will be of a weight that you will want to carry hunting and are not going to be acquired for "real cheap"

if you find a place to shoot it at a 1000 yds you will probably be "real disappointed"

By real cheap I ment the base rifle. I know it will need some work, stock, trigger, good optics ect. I have a 308 I'm building but for hunting I like the 300 wsm a little better because at longer ranges it will have more knockdown power.

You're on the right path. Do the stock, trigger and optics first then shoot it. You might be pleasantly surprised at what the stock barrel can do. I was.

basically i was really curius about the ballistic difference between the 300 wsm and the 300 win mag. the bullets are the same, velocity seems to be the same so is their a binefit in the long action vs short action?

I have a wsm, and it is a great round. If you are shooting factory ammo, I would suggest getting the winmag. The reason is there are many more factory rounds offered, and they are usually less expensive than wsm rounds. Even if reloading, brass for the wsm is much more expensive.
Ballistics are pretty close. The winmag really starts pulling ahead when bullets over 180gr. are used.

I owned a Remington sps 300 wsm and that thing was dead on, the only thing that I did was add a Bell & Carson stock. I did a little work on the bottom medal in order to get the 210 grn. Bergers out a little further. It shot the Bergers really well. It would put 5 shots @ 100 yrds. in a group that you could cover with a dime and that was shooting off of a bipod only. The only handicap that I can see is getting the bullets closer to the lands. I've got a 7mm wsm coming this week.

The advantage over 308win is more powder capacity, and thus being able to fire higher BC heavier bullets faster....less drop and wind drift.

The advantage over 300win mag is short vs long action.

If I'm not mistaken the 300 wsm with hang with the 300 wm out to a 1000 yrds. with less powder and less recoil. I could be off a little on this but I know that they are pretty close.