• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300blk oddity

danatkins

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
Working up a plinking load and a hunting load for my 300blk. Using imr4227 and berry 200 gr plated for plinking and 194 lehigh maximum expansion for deer on public land. The berry's where all subsonic across the load range. The lehighs barely dropped below supersonic on the lowest charge. Now here's the part I'm scratching my head on, the berry's cycled great the lehighs would eject but weren't going far enough to pick up the next round. Gonna try with the can since they're all flying straight and not concerned about baffle strikes. The bcg is a bootleg adjustable I'm gonna try the regular bcg out of my ar and see if that fixes it. 10.5 with a pistol gas system. I'm at a loss if that doesn't work cause I can't find any aa1680 or 296 and those are the only other 2 powders listed for the lehighs. Help....

Can’t help with that powder but I do use A1680. Out of a Seekins SP 8 w/ 8” barrel suppressed, 12.9 gr resulted in 1330 fps from 190 Nosler. 12.4 gr goes 1050 fps and subsonic. That being said, not sure why anyone hunts with subsonic.
22 gr results in 1800 fps with 150 gr Hornady Interlock, which is a great hunting bullet. 850 ft/lb energy vs 650 for the 190 gr at 50 yd. And only about 440 ft/lb if shooting subsonic.
I recommend doing some homework on other rounds and consider supersonic for hunting and subsonic for LARPing 🤣

These bullets are specifically designed for expansion at subsonic velocity. They're prefragmented and open up to about the size of a turkey broadhead. Many people have used them with great success on deer and hog.

Reactions: bigpeddler
I understand what they are but it still doesn’t make sense. There’s an equal number of people that will argue otherwise on hogs. 22 LR will kill a hog if you shoot it behind the ear. I’m just making a suggestion as it appears you don’t have any real experience using them on hogs. 🍻

Get an adjustable gas block. Tune it to what each powders pressure/gas volume profile requires.

Cant help you with those combos. CFE BLK has been fairly easy to find lately. I have been able to get functioning subsonic loads from 175 to 200 grains with CFE BLK and a can. I couldn't get lockback with the lightest 175 loads without the can, but locks back with it on. You'll likely land somewhere either side of the 11gn range.

@danatkins Your best bet is to consult someone with real world experience hunting with subs. I've never used the Lehigh ME, but did some testing
with the CF.
1648995282545.jpeg

Expand and fractured at 750 fps (channel in the background was a Win. Super-X 308 subsonic, horrible failure on their part)

I understand what they are but it still doesn’t make sense. There’s an equal number of people that will argue otherwise on hogs. 22 LR will kill a hog if you shoot it behind the ear. I’m just making a suggestion as it appears you don’t have any real experience using them on hogs. 🍻
I'm using them for deer.

Regular bcg fixed it. I'll throw the adjustable one in my 5.56 it doesn't get suppressed so I'll just keep it turned wide open it'll be ok

Most normal use stuff around here gets nabbed up by old retired guys that can sit at the LGS and wait for a shipment.

• Haha
Reactions: r.tenorio671
Cfe blk is great for subs if you can get it. Loud, but it has a FAT gas profile lol. Ive had it function in ARs way the hell down on the charge range, like really surprisingly slow with cast stuff.

I think i like it better than 1680. 4227 works best for me in bolt gun. Had some success in AR with 4227 but it was not nearly as forgiving for me with 220s and 250 cast.

I'm gonna try to get some 1680. Been told that cfe black is pretty dirty

Most normal use stuff around here gets nabbed up by old retired guys that can sit at the LGS and wait for a shipment.
LOL, that,s one of the experience benefits we earned by living to that age ;)

...on a serious note, many other powders can be used for the 300BLK. I've used LilGun the most (bcuz I have alot) but also H110, W296, 300MP, 4227, #9 & 5744. I would suggest you check out the https://www.300blktalk.com/forum/index.php forum, lots of REALLY good info there on subs loads.

Last edited:
Yeah I've lurked over there a little. The loads work fine now maybe by the time I burn this 4227 I can find some 1680

I wouldn’t hunt anything ethically (deer mostly) with a 300blk sub. I have shot coyotes and coons with 300 BLK subs in which I just want them dead. Usually (not always) takes a second shot to finish them off.

For deer, it’s always the Barnes 300 TTSX on top of 18.7gr of Lil gun out of a 10.5” barrel AR

Damn, hell of a shot.

Load details? Asking for a friend
...back in the early days of 300BLKTALK there was a gentleman out of NZ that frequently posted pics of the deer taken with 300BLK. Lots of load info in them for both suppressed and unsuppressed, mostly bolt action. LOL, they didn't hunt on "flat ground", alot of up/downhill shots at distance. IIRC, the individual was involved in "conservation culling" of the over populated feral herds.