• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

(300YARD), Bolt-Action, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

Re: (300YARD), Bolt-Action, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all i got to say ropegun is first,,,, nice job with the posting! not only is it perfect and informative, but i'm loving the pics! man, that looks like a really nice range! nice job!

second, kick ass shooting and killer rifle. very very impressive! you came damn close to the crown title! crazy how just 1 bullet on your 2.485" grouping killed your chance for honorable mention#1, but I guess that is what makes this shootout so fun and challenging. Trust me, i've been there! good work my friend. </div></div>
Thanks, dude.

The Great Guns facility is decent.
- 3 rifle lanes -- 100, 200, and 300 yards. The berm on the 300 yard lane is at 370 yards, and I often set my own target stands at the very back to gain the extra distance.
- 2 pistol lanes and 1 action shooting lane, all 100 yards
- 15 station sporting clays course
- 5 stand
- 2 skeet fields
- 5 trap fields
- 2 pheasant hunting fields

Great Guns is home grounds for the Colorado State Univerity (CSU at Ft. Collins) shooting team. They seem to be decent in trap and skeet.

The down side to the facility is its almost constant westerly winds, especially later in the day. I have been absolutely hammered in afternoon sporting clays tournaments. The rifle lanes shoot to the north and the wind swirl can be really bad over those berms. In the summer the mirage from the hot, dry ground can be nasty from the prone position.

I was lucky with this session -- no mirage and minimal wind. Only a bunch of people trying to shoot at 300 yards (because the 100 and 200 yard lanes were busy), then tucking tail when their target results weren't up to expectations.

And yep, I am skilled at throwing a sheep-dip shot in every string.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one question, did you find it fun and do you think you'll go for a 2nd try?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ropegun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First up.
</div></div>
</div></div>
Stay tuned for "Second up", coming soon to a thread near you.

Same bat channel, same bat time.

And yes, it was fun in its own warped way -- just like all shooting sports are.

Second up.
Shot 10/22/12 at Great Guns Sporting in Northern Colorado. Round 1 started a little after 9am, with this group starting 10:30-ish. I was interupted between almost every 5-round string by other shooters wanting to go down range to change or personally inspect targets.
As before, witnessed off and on by Great Guns' roving RSO. Once I pulled my second target, I let him (and two others on the line) shoot my 6.5CM rifle -- big grins all around.

1-7 mph breezes from 7 to 6 o'clock -- a significant change from before
65 degrees F, 6750 feet Density Altitude, rapidly increasing clouds
3.50 minutes scope elevation on the gun from a 100 yard zero to make 300 yards

GA Precision Crusader, 6.5 Creedmoor (pretty much GAP's stock build)
26" Bartlein barrel, 1 in 8.5" twist
Nightforce NSX F1 scope, 3.5-15x50, moa/moa, NP-RF1 reticle
Atlas bipod
shot from prone position with TAB rear bean bag
Hornady 140 grain AMax match factory ammo

For size reference, the upper left green paster is 2 inches in diameter. The other five black pasters are 3 inches in diameter. I was out of 3 inch green pasters (used in round one), so I figured the 2 inch pasters would be fine and would provide a little extra incentive to stay on target. Wrong. Clouds had just rolled in and I couldn't see the 2 inch green pasters worth a darn. But since everyone just changed targets, I shot the first string and dealt with it.

Just as I finished the first string, a new group of shooters arrived and wanted to set targets. So I jogged down to mine and covered the five untouched 2 inch green pasters with five 3 inch black pasters. Mongo now see targets. Mongo happy. If anyone has issues with the pasters, I can post a picture of the back of the target to prove it has exactly 30 bullet holes.

Lesson learned -- I can't see green pasters worth a crap in cloudy conditions, when the color contrast went seriously south.

net groups of 1.662" + 1.189" + 1.314" + 1.185" + 1.784" + 1.887" = 9.021" / 6 = 1.504" average

best group 1.185"

I have used .261" for bullet diameter (even though the bullets are .264") as the holes in this paper are only .261" in diameter. Had I used .264" for subtraction, all net group sizes (including the average) would have been artificially reduced by .003".

Let me know if anything needs to be clarified or corrected.

The 6.5CM Crusader, up on the bench after shooting

P1000350_zps5b9afec5.jpg

The 6.5CM Crusader up front and the .308 Crusader in the back

P1000352_zps85feb07d.jpg

All targets, without the caliper

P1000360_zps06e3b6e0.jpg

All target, with caliper on 2nd best string

P1000361_zpsd151d630.jpg

Closeup of the best string

P1000365_zps60274ea4.jpg

damn man!! you have a 2nd gap!! you lucky bastard! i'm hating you right about now! LOL

Friggen nice. WTG on getting on the boards twice by using two different rifles with kick ass shooting to boot! Wow, just awesome.

Nice set up on both of them, I'm JEL. Welcome to the leader boards twice over! WTG

BTW, WTG on getting honorable mention#1 !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ropegun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Second up.
Shot 10/22/12 at Great Guns Sporting in Northern Colorado. Round 1 started a little after 9am, with this group starting 10:30-ish. I was interupted between almost every 5-round string by other shooters wanting to go down range to change or personally inspect targets.
As before, witnessed off and on by Great Guns' roving RSO. Once I pulled my second target, I let him (and two others on the line) shoot my 6.5CM rifle -- big grins all around.

1-7 mph breezes from 7 to 6 o'clock -- a significant change from before
65 degrees F, 6750 feet Density Altitude, rapidly increasing clouds
3.50 minutes scope elevation on the gun from a 100 yard zero to make 300 yards

GA Precision Crusader, 6.5 Creedmoor (pretty much GAP's stock build)
26" Bartlein barrel, 1 in 8.5" twist
Nightforce NSX F1 scope, 3.5-15x50, moa/moa, NP-RF1 reticle
Atlas bipod
shot from prone position with TAB rear bean bag
Hornady 140 grain AMax match factory ammo

For size reference, the upper left green paster is 2 inches in diameter. The other five black pasters are 3 inches in diameter. I was out of 3 inch green pasters (used in round one), so I figured the 2 inch pasters would be fine and would provide a little extra incentive to stay on target. Wrong. Clouds had just rolled in and I couldn't see the 2 inch green pasters worth a darn. But since everyone just changed targets, I shot the first string and dealt with it.

Just as I finished the first string, a new group of shooters arrived and wanted to set targets. So I jogged down to mine and covered the five untouched 2 inch green pasters with five 3 inch black pasters. Mongo now see targets. Mongo happy. If anyone has issues with the pasters, I can post a picture of the back of the target to prove it has exactly 30 bullet holes.

Lesson learned -- I can't see green pasters worth a crap in cloudy conditions, when the color contrast went seriously south.

net groups of 1.662" + 1.189" + 1.314" + 1.185" + 1.784" + 1.887" = 9.021" / 6 = 1.504" average

best group 1.185"

I have used .261" for bullet diameter (even though the bullets are .264") as the holes in this paper are only .261" in diameter. Had I used .264" for subtraction, all net group sizes (including the average) would have been artificially reduced by .003".

Let me know if anything needs to be clarified or corrected.

The 6.5CM Crusader, up on the bench after shooting

The 6.5CM Crusader up front and the .308 Crusader in the back
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn man!! you have a 2nd gap!! you lucky bastard! i'm hating you right about now! LOL

Friggen nice. WTG on getting on the boards twice by using two different rifles with kick ass shooting to boot! Wow, just awesome.

Nice set up on both of them, I'm JEL. Welcome to the leader boards twice over! WTG

BTW, WTG on getting honorable mention#1 !!!</div></div>
Thanks, dude. The problem with springing for one precision rig is wanting a second. And third.... It's like Lays potato chips -- nobody can eat just one. Unfortunately, I'm destined to eating PB&J sammiches for awhile to make up for the toy buying spree.

Credit GAP & Hornady for the tools. Credit Jacob Bynum and his troops at Rifles Only for trying to cram good technique into me. The interesting thing is that I called almost every shot I pulled outside of .5 MOA. I know I'm doing it, but I'm struggling to STOP doing it. waaahhh

I think the 1/2 MOA all day thingie can be done, but maybe not be me.

3/8" moa!!

I'm looking forward to getting my bolt action. Still doing to research. I'm thinking I'll get my bolt action early next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ropegun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn man!! you have a 2nd gap!! you lucky bastard! i'm hating you right about now! LOL

BTW, WTG on getting honorable mention#1 !!!</div></div>
Thanks, dude. The problem with springing for one precision rig is wanting a second. And third.... It's like Lays potato chips -- nobody can eat just one. Unfortunately, I'm destined to eating PB&J sammiches for awhile to make up for the toy buying spree.

Credit GAP & Hornady for the tools. Credit Jacob Bynum and his troops at Rifles Only for trying to cram good technique into me. The interesting thing is that I called almost every shot I pulled outside of .5 MOA. I know I'm doing it, but I'm struggling to STOP doing it. waaahhh

I think the 1/2 MOA all day thingie can be done, but maybe not be me. </div></div>

Shot with my Remington 700 @ 300yards with harris bipod front & rear bag on bench.
Average was 2.769
Best group was 2.141
Rifle used = Remington 700
Barrel Length / Type = K&P 26" 308 Winchester
Optics = Nightforce 5.5-22x50 MOAR
Mount = Nightforce 20 moa base and Nightforce UL rings

Shot with reloads
Lapua brass
Federal BR primers
43 gr varget
175gr Sierra Matchking

3.364+2.981+2.580+2.141+2.870+2.679=16.615/6=2.769"

Here's my attempt. It was a windy day here in Georgia, but the wife and kids were all out of the house today, so I shot anyway. I blame some of the horizontal stringing on the wind, but I definitely pushed some shots I should have waited on.I'm going to try again with a little more patience and a little less wind.
102812004.jpg

102812009.jpg

102812003.jpg

102812001.jpg

I shoot the GAP Crusader also. Fantastic rifle. You need handloades to shoot those groups at 300 yards. As good as the Federal is it won't shoot those kind of groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmbgreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot the GAP Crusader also. Fantastic rifle. You need handloades to shoot those groups at 300 yards. As good as the Federal is it won't shoot those kind of groups. </div></div>
Believing something you haven't yet experienced can be challenging, but bear with me for a moment or three.

I don't own any reloading equipment, have never reloaded, and no reloads have ever been shot through either of my Crusaders. I have a number of receipts for Federal, Hornady, and Corbon match ammo through Palmetto State Armory, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Midway USA.

I first shot with Rifles Only ("RO") in December 2011, in Texas, using only FGMM 175. Lisa Bynum can attest to receiving FGMM 175 from Palmetto for me. Here I am shooting with FGMM boxes to my left.
P1000278.jpg

My three 5-round groups at 100 yards on the end of the first day of the course. The black pasters are one inch in diameter. Jacob Bynum and his instructors were pleased with my progress.
P1000280.jpg

Day two at RO. Jacob personally cut this group out of the target for me to keep as a "trophy target" to post on my refrigerator. Subtract out the .303" that my bullets leave in the paper and the 5 shots at 100 yards measure .230 inches. With FGMM 175.
P1000369.jpg

The write up of this course was done by SH user Tbone40x on 12/6/11. SH users Tbone40x, Awesymoto, jackinfl, LRCampos, Tburkes, and Lindy might all recall that I was the only student at that course that used FGMM 175 for every shot fired.

In June 2012 I attended another RO course -- this time in northeast Colorado. For grins I used FGMM 168 to see if it would make it accurately to 1,000 yards in density alitudes of 6500 to 7000 feet. It did, and I matched accuracy toe-to-toe with a student shooting a GAP Hospitaller (with a 3" longer barrel) who was shooting FGMM 175. On the third day of this course -- when the winds finally calmed down -- both of us were shooting (barely) sub-MOA 5 shot groups at 1,000 yards with our repective ammo.

My use of FGMM 168 during the course can be attested by Jacob and Lisa Bynum of RO, instructors Nick and Andrew, assistant instructor Richard, and land owner Len. All of us questioned my initial use of FGMM 168 (I had FGMM 175 in the car as plan B), but we became believers afterwards.

One very talented RO instructor was Nicholas Irving -- a sniper team leader for 3rd Ranger Batt. and author of the book "Team Reaper". Nick shot both our GAPs with our repective FGMM ammo. His 100 yard groups were running around 3/16" and his 1,000 yard groups were running close to 1/2 MOA at 1,000 yards. As a sniper in Afghanistan, Nick has 33 confirmed and a few probables. The dude can shoot.

Here's my 20-round dot drill (1" dots) at 100 yards at the June course. Note that we had to get up from prone position with each shot, walk back 15-20 feet to pick up only one round, return to the gun, rebuild position, fire one round, and then start it all over again. I blame my one miss (shot #14) on the muzzle blast from the brake of the shooter next to me, as he broke his shot just before I broke mine. Shit happens.
P1000368.jpg

I have no "60 Minutes" film crew video tape proof, verified by Brinks Security personnel that I used factory FGMM and Hornady ammo in this 300 yard shootout. The closest thing is the Great Guns RSO -- I opened a new box of Hornady AMax Creedmoor for him to shoot a few rounds at 200 yards. He promptly shot what looked through the spotting scope to be a 1" group at 200 yards and was grinning ear to ear.

At least on the morning of 10/20/12, "I" didn't need handloads to shoot those groups at 300 yards.

Ill have to give it a go with my new Longrifles 6mmCreed as soon as I get it back this week, might have to wait til spring for results, will that be too late? It's getting cold here in Wis, you know.
DSC_0021.jpg

sorry mitchK for taking so long to update the boards! been crazy busy getting ready for deer hunting here in WI. Nice job with the rifle and that's some kick ass shooting. That looks like a nice place to shoot! Thank you for editing your post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot with my Remington 700 @ 300yards with harris bipod front & rear bag on bench.
Average was 2.769
Best group was 2.141

Shot with reloads
Lapua brass
Federal BR primers
43 gr varget
175gr Sierra Matchking

Here's my attempt. It was a windy day here in Georgia, but the wife and kids were all out of the house today, so I shot anyway. I blame some of the horizontal stringing on the wind, but I definitely pushed some shots I should have waited on.I'm going to try again with a little more patience and a little less wind. </div></div>

wow, very impressive ropegun, especially for factory ammo.... those gap crusaders sure are bad ass rifles!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ropegun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmbgreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot the GAP Crusader also. Fantastic rifle. You need handloades to shoot those groups at 300 yards. As good as the Federal is it won't shoot those kind of groups. </div></div>
Believing something you haven't yet experienced can be challenging, but bear with me for a moment or three.

I don't own any reloading equipment, have never reloaded, and no reloads have ever been shot through either of my Crusaders. I have a number of receipts for Federal, Hornady, and Corbon match ammo through Palmetto State Armory, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Midway USA.

I first shot with Rifles Only ("RO") in December 2011, in Texas, using only FGMM 175. Lisa Bynum can attest to receiving FGMM 175 from Palmetto for me. Here I am shooting with FGMM boxes to my left.
P1000278.jpg

My three 5-round groups at 100 yards on the end of the first day of the course. The black pasters are one inch in diameter. Jacob Bynum and his instructors were pleased with my progress.
P1000280.jpg

Day two at RO. Jacob personally cut this group out of the target for me to keep as a "trophy target" to post on my refrigerator. Subtract out the .303" that my bullets leave in the paper and the 5 shots at 100 yards measure .230 inches. With FGMM 175.
P1000369.jpg

The write up of this course was done by SH user Tbone40x on 12/6/11. SH users Tbone40x, Awesymoto, jackinfl, LRCampos, Tburkes, and Lindy might all recall that I was the only student at that course that used FGMM 175 for every shot fired.

In June 2012 I attended another RO course -- this time in northeast Colorado. For grins I used FGMM 168 to see if it would make it accurately to 1,000 yards in density alitudes of 6500 to 7000 feet. It did, and I matched accuracy toe-to-toe with a student shooting a GAP Hospitaller (with a 3" longer barrel) who was shooting FGMM 175. On the third day of this course -- when the winds finally calmed down -- both of us were shooting (barely) sub-MOA 5 shot groups at 1,000 yards with our repective ammo.

My use of FGMM 168 during the course can be attested by Jacob and Lisa Bynum of RO, instructors Nick and Andrew, assistant instructor Richard, and land owner Len. All of us questioned my initial use of FGMM 168 (I had FGMM 175 in the car as plan B), but we became believers afterwards.

One very talented RO instructor was Nicholas Irving -- a sniper team leader for 3rd Ranger Batt. and author of the book "Team Reaper". Nick shot both our GAPs with our repective FGMM ammo. His 100 yard groups were running around 3/16" and his 1,000 yard groups were running close to 1/2 MOA at 1,000 yards. As a sniper in Afghanistan, Nick has 33 confirmed and a few probables. The dude can shoot.

Here's my 20-round dot drill (1" dots) at 100 yards at the June course. Note that we had to get up from prone position with each shot, walk back 15-20 feet to pick up only one round, return to the gun, rebuild position, fire one round, and then start it all over again. I blame my one miss (shot #14) on the muzzle blast from the brake of the shooter next to me, as he broke his shot just before I broke mine. Shit happens.
P1000368.jpg

I have no "60 Minutes" film crew video tape proof, verified by Brinks Security personnel that I used factory FGMM and Hornady ammo in this 300 yard shootout. The closest thing is the Great Guns RSO -- I opened a new box of Hornady AMax Creedmoor for him to shoot a few rounds at 200 yards. He promptly shot what looked through the spotting scope to be a 1" group at 200 yards and was grinning ear to ear.

At least on the morning of 10/20/12, "I" didn't need handloads to shoot those groups at 300 yards. </div></div>

Awesome! I love this sort of thing! I have not shot groups in quite awhile but here are some from a couple of years ago. My brother-in-law and I used to go out every Wednesday night after work and shoot groups until about 11:00 p.m. winter, summer, rain, snow, whatever! We used a generator and spot light at the target. (The pile of targets I saved came in handy!)

I can't remember exactly what 6.5x47 Lapua this was shot with but I believe that it was a Badger M2008 with an 22" 8 twist Hart. Of course it was in my chassis...
grin.gif

I will definitely have to shoot some current ones!

Target average: 1.132"
targets3001.jpg

Target average 1.365" (no idea what I was doing with that top left target...)
targets3002.jpg

targets4003.jpg

targets4001.jpg

Here is the rifle used. Old School XLR Baby
cool.gif

XLR65001_crop.jpg

EDIT: all groups were shot prone off a bipod

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry mitchK for taking so long to update the boards! been crazy busy getting ready for deer hunting here in WI. Nice job with the rifle and that's some kick ass shooting. That looks like a nice place to shoot! Thank you for editing your post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot with my Remington 700 @ 300yards with harris bipod front & rear bag on bench.
Average was 2.769
Best group was 2.141

Shot with reloads
Lapua brass
Federal BR primers
43 gr varget
175gr Sierra Matchking

Here's my attempt. It was a windy day here in Georgia, but the wife and kids were all out of the house today, so I shot anyway. I blame some of the horizontal stringing on the wind, but I definitely pushed some shots I should have waited on.I'm going to try again with a little more patience and a little less wind. </div></div> </div></div>

Thanks, we need to get more shooters!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ropegun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First up.
Shot 10/22/12 at Great Guns Sporting in northern Colorado
Witnessed off and on by Great Guns' roving RSO
3-8 mph breezes from 11 to 12 o'clock
54 degrees F, DA 6300 feet, light clouds
4.0 minutes elevation on the gun from a 100 yard zero to make 300 yards

GAP Crusader .308 Win (GAP's stock build)
23" Bartlein 1 in 11.25" twist
Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x56 moa/moa NP-R2 reticle
Harris bipod, swivel & notched, Podloc
shot from prone position with TAB rear bag
Federal Gold Medal Match 168 SMK factory ammo

For a size reference, all 6 green pasters are 3 inches in diameter.

net groups of 1.705" + 1.052" + 2.005" + 1.762" + 2.485" + 1.675" = 10.684" total / 6 = 1.781" average

best group 1.052"

I have used .305" for bullet diameter (even though the bullets are .308") as the holes in the paper are only .305" in diameter. Had I used the .308", all net group sizes (including the average) would have been artificially reduced by .003".

Let me know if anything needs clarified or corrrected.

The 300 yard range, with rifle, mat, and rear bag ready to roll. My target is on the right side of the lane.

P1000347_zps0e4e8f43.jpg

The rifle, up on a bench after shooting, for a better view.

P1000349_zpse9356934.jpg

All targets

P1000354_zpsa35af689.jpg

All targets with caliper on best group

P1000359_zps8f21d438.jpg

Close up of the best group

P1000367_zps5f332ee6.jpg
</div></div>

Nice shooting with both rifles!

A big never mind on my suggestion to come shoot the CRC match, don't need anymore competition! Just kidding, hope to see you at a match, you'll kick ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting with both rifles!

A big never mind on my suggestion to come shoot the CRC match, don't need anymore competition! Just kidding, hope to see you at a match, you'll kick ass. </div></div>
Thanks. Every now and then even the blind squirrel gets a nut.

I hope to see you at a CRC match one of these days -- sporting clays tournaments sucked up so much of my time this year. And now it's ski season! Woohoo!!

So I've seen your CRC scores -- impressive. Dude, you don't need to worry about me for competition. I'm going to be the one following you around like a lost puppy, latching onto technique and pointers like they're chew toys.

Well gang, I think these shootouts have run their course and I think it is time for me to shut them down. I think we have all received some good info from them and I hope you all enjoyed them. RL stuff is pulling my time away from my forum posts. Feel free to keep on posting!

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Like I said before,,,,, keep on posting if you want but I will no longer be updating the OP.</span></span></span>

Thank again!

Elfster1234

Place holder

Well gang, I think these shootouts have run their course and I think it is time for me to shut them down. I think we have all received some good info from them and I hope you all enjoyed them. RL stuff is pulling my time away from my forum posts. Feel free to keep on posting!

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Like I said before,,,,, keep on posting if you want but I will no longer be updating the OP.</span></span></span>

Thank again!

Elfster1234

My bi-pod is ready, once I finally settle on the "right" load Ill do the shoot. 5 shot or 30 shot? hmmmmmm

maybe..... depending if people would actually participate.... also, it just amazes me sometimes how some people can bitch & knock me down about doing stuff like this when it is my time invested... and not their time invested.... stuff like this thread and my other semi-auto threads should be fun with loads of information that all people can use and enjoy,,, and every once in a blue moon you will get that asshole like TURK who thinks I do this for myself for some reason (when everyone who understands me knows I do this for the love of the sport only).. Shit man, I don't even own a bolt action! LOL

and if I did start it back up I would most likely move the crown prize to .375moa all day long at 300yards (as the semi-auto is .5moa and should be really really hard to obtain), and then would add in honorable mentions for .5moa all day long, and .75moa all day long

the semi-auto shootouts are going strong on both 300 and 100yards

both of the bolt action shootout threads still exist, I just shut them down about a year ago and someone actually won the 100yard 3/8moa challenge! ... But it is d-bags like TURK who like to rip people down (as in my semi-auto 101 thread) that makes me not want to start awesome threads like this back up when it is not appreciated saying I post all of these threads just to boost my ego for some stupid reason,,,, especially when I don't even own a bolt action for fuck sake...

here is the 100yard bolt action shootout that I ran about a year ago and Moboost actually won the damn thing by getting all 6 5shot groups under 3/8moa @ 100yards.. If I was to start the 100yard bolt action shootout ROUND2 again I would need to place the crown prize to friggen .25moa all day long!! Maybe even more as Moboost actually had .249moa all day long @ 100yards if memory serves me correct:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ard-bolt-action-6groups-30round-shootout.html

Elfster,

You game to resurrect this competition?

bluto

Last edited:
O.K. Here's my addition to this thread even though the competition is suspended.

Shot on 7.23.13
300 Yards Six Groups, 5 Shots each, 30 Shots Total
Wind: 5-7 mph left to right
GAP Crusader w/Harris Bipod and Jewell Trigger set @ 3#
Caliber: .308
Ammunition: ASYM 175 gr. SMK
Bushnell 3.5-21X50 MRAD G2DMR Reticle
Shot From Bench Front Bipod, Rear Bags
All 6 Green targets are 3" in diameter.

Groups: 2.743" + 2.030" + 1.396" + 1.236" + 1.644" + 1.769" + 10.818" total / 6 + 1.803" average
MOA: 1.803 / 3.141 = 0.574 MOA Average

Best Group: 1.236 0.394 MOA

30 Shot Target CALIPERS ARE SET TO -.308, so the bullet diameter is already accounted for.

Best Group

Crusader Rig

I'm going back with my M86 and some Lapua 167 Scenar sometime soon. Also going back with my M21 semi-auto for a second try to better my score on the semi challenge.

P.S. For those of you wondering what that crater is in front of my shooting station, let's just say that
the ROs will not be letting me use my grenade launcher anymore. Sheesh.

Last edited:
O.K. Here's my addition to this thread even though the competition is suspended.

Shot on 7.23.13
Wind: 5-7 mph left to right
Caliber: .308
Ammunition: ASYM 175 gr. SMK
Bushnell 3.5-21X50 MRAD G2DMR Reticle
Shot From Bench Front Bipod, Rear Bags
All 6 Green targets are 3" in diameter

Groups: 2.743" + 2.030" + 1.396" + 1.236" + 1.644" + 1.769" + 10.818" total / 6 + 1.803" average
MOA: 1.803 / 3.141 = 0.574 MOA Average

Best Group: 1.236 0.394 MOA

30 Shot Target

Best Group

Crusader Rig

I'm going back with my M86 and some Lapua 167 Scenar sometime soon. Also going back with my M21 semi-auto for a second try to better my score on the semi challenge.

P.S. For those of you wondering what that crater is in front of my shooting station, let's just say that
the ROs will not be letting me use my grenade launcher anymore. Sheesh.

Now subtract .308 from the 1.236" and you have your group size. .928"

Thanks Gorski. I shoulda' mentioned that I set the calipers to -.308 so the bullet diameter is already subtracted. Fixed it
in the post. But I'd sure like to subtract it again! I'll be back at 300 with the Crusader again.

Last edited:
Thanks Gorski. I shoulda' mentioned that I set the calipers to -.308 so the bullet diameter is already subtracted. Fixed it
in the post. But I'd sure like to subtract it again! I'll be back at 300 with the Crusader again.

Kinda thought you might've done that, that group looked bigger than a what was it a .928".

Back at it with my GAP. This time I used ABM ammo $$$$ and got some very helpful tips from a champion F Class Open shooter.
I think it paid off. So rather than start a new thread, I'll just add this to the database. Another testament to George and GAP rifles.

Shot on 8.9.13
Wind: 3-5 mph left to right.
23" Bartlein 1 in 11.25 twist
Caliber .308
Ammunition: Applied Ballistics Munitions (formerly Litz) 175 gr. Berger
Bushnell 3.5-21X50 MRAD G2DMR
Shot from Bench Front Bipod, Rear Bags

Groups: 1.289" + 1.462" + 0.809" + 1.639 + 2.094 (D'oh) + 1.244 = 8.537" total/6 = 1.423" ave.
MOA: 1.423/3.141 = 0.453 MOA Average

Best Group: 0.809 / 3.141 = 0.258 MOA

30 Shot Target. CALIPERS ARE SET TO -.308, so the bullet diameter is already accounted for.

Best Group:

Same Rig. Same Photo:

New Photo Home from the Range with the ABM Ammo:

Last edited:
OK, I gotta try and beat that with my SPSS tomorrow, need to do some precise loading now, haha
s5mDIwx.jpg

Bring it! LOL. It's not as easy as it looks. I have another very accurate bolt gun in .308 and after three tries
I still can't average under 2" for all six groups. I'll get there though, sooner or later.

Nice rear bag! Who makes it?

Last edited:
Bring it! LOL. It's not as easy as it looks. I have another very accurate bolt gun in .308 and after three tries
I still can't average under 2" for all six groups. I'll get there though, sooner or later.

Nice rear bag! Who makes it?

I stopped after the group on the right, wind was picking up a bit and I was getting hungry and figured id have to shoot inch groups for the next 15 to beat Bluto, haha! Hey, it's not bad for a factory rifle, eh. The groups on the left are after I went 5 clicks right after the first group with my Burris scope, looks like it didnt move much did it. Of those 10 shots the high was 2789 and the low was 2726, SD of 16, group on right, High of 2807, low of 2789, SD-8. Loads were 47grs CFE, WLR primers, Win brass, 168AMAXs, 5 on the right were 47grs 2000MR, lapua brass, BR2 primers, pretty much Identical velocities.
rYzH10P.jpg

Thats the infamous DR bag by Protecktor

Gorski,

That's nice shootin'! Two out of three groups under 2".
Even though this thread is in sleep mode it still looks as though you were on your way to
besting some of the 5 previous entries. You should set up your target with 6 distinct bulls. Shoot the 30 and post it good or bad. Then you can record your
progress in the database. Heck, on the semi-auto 300 yard challenge I posted a target where the wind was blowing me all over
the place. It actually blew one shot off paper. I had 29 of 30 shots so the entry didn't count. I posted it anyway then came back
another time and managed to put all 30 up.
These challenges with all 30 shots on the semi forum (and this bolt forum) have definitely improved my
shooting. 30 shots really tests you and helps with consistency. There's always something, wind, flinch, bad position, that sends a wild shot off in one or two
groups to spoil your average. Anyway, you're really just competing with yourself.
I find it's instructive and motivating to see how others are doing and watch their progress.
I wish other bolt gunners would give this a shot and post results here.

Gorski,

That's nice shootin'! Two out of three groups under 2".
Even though this thread is in sleep mode it still looks as though you were on your way to
besting some of the 5 previous entries. You should set up your target with 6 distinct bulls. Shoot the 30 and post it good or bad. Then you can record your
progress in the database. Heck, on the semi-auto 300 yard challenge I posted a target where the wind was blowing me all over
the place. It actually blew one shot off paper. I had 29 of 30 shots so the entry didn't count. I posted it anyway then came back
another time and managed to put all 30 up.
These challenges with all 30 shots on the semi forum (and this bolt forum) have definitely improved my
shooting. 30 shots really tests you and helps with consistency. There's always something, wind, flinch, bad position, that sends a wild shot off in one or two
groups to spoil your average. Anyway, you're really just competing with yourself.
I find it's instructive and motivating to see how others are doing and watch their progress.
I wish other bolt gunners would give this a shot and post results here.

Thanks for the compliment Bluto! Plan on going out maybe next saturday and shoot the same load i shot last sunday at 600yds. 46.5grs CFE, again, the velocity on that is or should be about the same as what I shot today, guess I could load more of the Win brass load, 47grs CFE and do all 30 at once to make it count, huh. Ive got a target all set up for this challenge, only thing is I like the inside white with black outline, these are all black, Ill manage I guess.

I'm bringing this back online & will go through this thread to determine who has posted since the thread has been shut down and will add their name and results to the board. If you feel like I missed your post / entry, then send me a PM and I'll review your entry and get you added. I'm also going to increase the requirements for the crown award and other mention awards.

Please, make sure you follow the example entry when making your entry post or it will not count.

As for what has been quoted below, please don't give me a reason to shut this back down. I don't even own a bolt action & I do this stuff on my own time, not yours. One of these days I'll get a bolt action and will join you guys. I'm also going to boot up ***ROUND2 100YARD BOLT ACTION**** FYI

maybe..... depending if people would actually participate.... also, it just amazes me sometimes how some people can bitch & knock me down about doing stuff like this when it is my time invested... and not their time invested.... stuff like this thread and my other semi-auto threads should be fun with loads of information that all people can use and enjoy,,, and every once in a blue moon you will get that asshole like TURK who thinks I do this for myself for some reason (when everyone who understands me knows I do this for the love of the sport only).. Shit man, I don't even own a bolt action! LOL

and if I did start it back up I would most likely move the crown prize to .375moa all day long at 300yards (as the semi-auto is .5moa and should be really really hard to obtain), and then would add in honorable mentions for .5moa all day long, and .75moa all day long

the semi-auto shootouts are going strong on both 300 and 100yards

both of the bolt action shootout threads still exist, I just shut them down about a year ago and someone actually won the 100yard 3/8moa challenge! ... But it is d-bags like TURK who like to rip people down (as in my semi-auto 101 thread) that makes me not want to start awesome threads like this back up when it is not appreciated saying I post all of these threads just to boost my ego for some stupid reason,,,, especially when I don't even own a bolt action for fuck sake...

here is the 100yard bolt action shootout that I ran about a year ago and Moboost actually won the damn thing by getting all 6 5shot groups under 3/8moa @ 100yards.. If I was to start the 100yard bolt action shootout ROUND2 again I would need to place the crown prize to friggen .25moa all day long!! Maybe even more as Moboost actually had .249moa all day long @ 100yards if memory serves me correct:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ard-bolt-action-6groups-30round-shootout.html

Elfster,

This is great! Much appreciated. I've been toiling away at 300 with my bolt guns and, after several tries, finally
posted my best results (8.9.13) ever with my GAP Crusader (I was drinkin' some of that ass-kicking "Sniper 5000"
in my coffee that day). Thanks.

bluto51

Last edited:
crown & honorable mention has been bumped up to give this thread some time to stick around...

also, bullseye bonus has been added.

you have been added to the top ten & honorable mention bluto51, nice shooting!

Elfster,

This is great! Much appreciated. I've been toiling away at 300 with my bolt guns and, after several tries, finally
posted my best results (8.9.13) ever with my GAP Crusader (I was drinkin' some of that ass-kicking "Sniper 5000"
in my coffee that day). Thanks.

bluto51

Bluto51 - That is some very nice shooting! I'd say the "break-in" period for your Crusader is now officially over (LOL). When are you going to bring that GAP laser and come out and play with Steve, myself, and everyone else at the SBRGC Reduced Palma matches? The next one is Sept 17th, you ought to bring your Crusader and come out and shoot, I think you would do very well and have a great time. FWIW, there are 600 yd matches this Sat and Sun at Camp Pendleton Range 103 (Santa Margarita Gun Club). For me, shooting groups on my own at the range is fun, but once I entered my first competition, I was absolutely hooked. Anyhow, nice shooting!

Thanks Greg! Congrats on your participation in the National F-T/R Championships. I just shot at 600 yds. for the first time
a few days ago. It looked easy, but it wasn't. I can't imagine how crazy it must be trying to hit consistently at 1000.
Maybe the Sept. 17 match is the ticket. My shooting mat arrived today so I can practice prone shooting.
You and Steve don't have much to worry about (LOL)! See you at the range.

Paul

I didn't think to ask before, but do you have a bipod and rear bag for prone? If not, I have Harris and Atlas bipods not currently attached to rifles, as well as a few different sized rear bags you could try out to see what you might want to get. Let me know. It'd be great if you came out the 17th. It's a great group of folks, very friendly competition, and just generally a lot of fun. Hope to see you there.

I really want to get in on this one... time to load up some ammo.

You guys can do some serious shootin! I'm going to have to get in on this action and represent all the "Noobs/newbs/newbies" out there. Just got 10 lbs of h4350 delivered to day, so we'll see what my .243 can do throwing 115 DTACS downrange out of the 7.5 twist Broughton.

Now we're talkin' Ite82 and fellow bluto! Time to get on the boards. Heck, there are only 6 places filled so far. That's just unbelievable.
I have another .308 that I've been trying to coax some good groups out of at 300 yards. Can't get near my Crusader accuracy with it even after 4 tries. I always have one or two fliers that screw everything up. That's ok. I'm learning. I'll start posting my results anyway, now that Elfster has been nice enough to reactivate this thread, so I can share my progress. Looks like I'll still get on the boards (LOL).

Greg, I PM'd you about the match.

A 3 mph wind shift can move poi over 1 1/2" on a 6.5 creedmoor at 300yd. This is going to be tough to shoot sub 2" for 6 groups...

are you talking about the grand prize or bullseye bonus?

Neither.. just where I want to be when I turn my target in. I doubt I have a chance at winning lol.

Oh, I have 35 rounds loaded now, so its game on. I made an extra 5 just for getting on target at 300. I should only need 1 mil up from 100 but I havent chronod yet so I dont know for sure.

Last edited:
Just as a final warning so you're not wasting your time with your entry. Please zero out calipers on the bullet used, and measure outside to outside of bullet hole. Not being a dick here, but you will be asked to re-do your entry if its not correct.

Finally put my only other bolt gun on the boards. It's my 1994 Harris McMillan M86 in .308. I've tried this challenge with this rifle twice before - one just 3 weeks ago - and came up with almost identical results (average) each time, so this is probably about the best I can do with this one. Very happy with the results and consistency. Having said all that, I still think I can do better LOL, so "ahuul be back". This was my second time shooting prone. Entering my first club match in two weeks.

Shot on 9.11.13
300 Yards. Six Groups, 5 Shots Each. 30 Shots Total.
Wind:2-3 mph shifting. Generally calm conditions.
1994 Harris McMillan M86 w/Harris Bipod and Jewell Trigger set @ 3#
24" Schneider Barrel 1 in 10 twist
Caliber .308
Ammunition: Federal GMM 168 gr.
Swarovski Z5 5-25X52 w/ BRX Ranging Reticle
Shot Prone. Front Bipod, Rear Bag

Groups: 1.558" + 2.426 + 2.476 + 1.853 + 1.538 + 2.014 = 11.865 total/6 = 1.978" ave.
MOA: 1.978/3.141 = .6297 MOA Average

Best Group: 1.538/3.141 = 0.490 MOA

30 Shot Target. CALIPERS ARE SET TO -.308, so the bullet diameter is already subtracted.

Best Group:

M86:

you're on the board! nice groups!

Finally put my only other bolt gun on the boards. It's my 1994 Harris McMillan M86 in .308. I've tried this challenge with this rifle twice before - one just 3 weeks ago - and came up with almost identical results (average) each time, so this is probably about the best I can do with this one. Very happy with the results and consistency. Having said all that, I still think I can do better LOL, so "ahuul be back". This was my second time shooting prone. Entering my first club match in two weeks.

Shot on 9.11.13
300 Yards. Six Groups, 5 Shots Each. 30 Shots Total.
Wind:2-3 mph shifting. Generally calm conditions.
1994 Harris McMillan M86 w/Harris Bipod and Jewell Trigger set @ 3#
24" Schneider Barrel 1 in 10 twist
Caliber .308
Ammunition: Federal GMM 168 gr.
Swarovski Z5 5-25X52 w/ BRX Ranging Reticle
Shot Prone. Front Bipod, Rear Bag

Groups: 1.558" + 2.426 + 2.476 + 1.853 + 1.538 + 2.014 = 11.865 total/6 = 1.978" ave.
MOA: 1.978/3.141 = .6297 MOA Average

Best Group: 1.538/3.141 = 0.490 MOA

30 Shot Target. CALIPERS ARE SET TO -.308, so the bullet diameter is already subtracted.

Best Group:

M86: