• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

(300YARD), Semi-Auto, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

I took my new Noveske 20" Medium Varmint out yesterday but there was too much wind. I snuck in one good group of 1.8" but the other two were 3.5" and 5" so I gave up to try it another day in more favorable conditions.

yha2ybag.jpg

resa2ahu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice run! you should've finished as you would've scored ultra high on the single group section! looking forward to your next entry and kick ass rifle!

I took my new Noveske 20" Medium Varmint out yesterday but there was too much wind. I snuck in one good group of 1.8" but the other two were 3.5" and 5" so I gave up to try it another day in more favorable conditions.

yha2ybag.jpg

resa2ahu.jpg

nice run! you should've finished as you would've scored ultra high on the single group section! looking forward to your next entry and kick ass rifle!

Thanks, man. I think the rifle has a lot of potential and I'm hoping that 1.8" group isn't a fluke but rather a consistent result when the wind isn't such a factor as it was yesterday.

you can already tell the rifle has massive potential as your larger group sizes are caused by wind (you have massive wind displacement from left to right and NOT elevation up and down).. this is total wind issue with your groups as your elevation in your groups is actually really really good.... it really does boil down to waiting for the wind to die down or waiting for a consistant wind pattern and taking your 5shots ASAP if the wind is really bad.

I would've finished tho! it is good practice as wind will always be a factor in RL situations.

Thanks, man. I think the rifle has a lot of potential and I'm hoping that 1.8" group isn't a fluke but rather a consistent result when the wind isn't such a factor as it was yesterday.

it really does boil down to waiting for the wind to die down or waiting for a consistant wind pattern and taking your 5shots ASAP if the wind is really bad.

I would've finished tho! it is good practice as wind will always be a factor in RL situations.

Very true. I was hoping the wind would chill out later in the afternoon after taking a break to shoot the CQC Challenge, but it only got worse. And I was having a really hard time reading the wind because I was in a low protected position while my target was on an exposed mountain side. Last week when I shot the Bolt Action Challenge the wind was blowing lightly up the canyon from behind me, so I could feel when it died down. This week it was blowing across the canyon and much faster so it was wreaking havoc on those little 69gr SMKs. I'd like to fully realize the potential of the rifles first and then, knowing what they're capable of, add the variable of wind to work on my skills in that area.

Well I was expecting my new trigger by Saturday but it didn't come, so my entry is going to have to wait tell next weekend or maybe before work during the week. Looking forward to it.

OK WISCONSIN!!! ENOUGH WITH THE NEGATIVE TEMP BS! LOL! For the love of god, has it been like damn near 2 months of negative temps or is it just me?? ready for spring! I have just an insane amount of ammo loaded up over the winter months because I can't shoot the stuff! LOL!

Well, it took almost 10 months, but my new RRA 20" varmint build is complete (almost). This is my second custom build from Tyler Black here in San Diego and the wait was
worth it. 20" .223/5.56 RRA Varmint barrel with a wylde chamber. 1:7 twist. JD Machine (also San Diego Co.) lower, upper receiver, and free float handguard. Timney 3# Trigger. Magpul PRS Stock.
I have a new Bushnell 6-24 X 50 Tactical Elite FFP w/G2 reticle on the way for some permanent TPS rings. Today I improvised for my second time at the range (first time at 300 yards)
with an old (but excellent) Leupold 6-20 X 40 VX III in a detachable mount.

It only took 4 shots to zero at 300 yards before shooting the challenge.

Shot on 3.18.14
300 Yards
6 Groups. 5 Shots per Group. 30 Shots total.

Rifle: Custom RRA Varmint built by Tyler Black
Barrel: 20" RRA Varmint, 1:7 twist, Wylde Chamber
Optics: Leupold 6-20X40 Leupold Vari-X III set at 18X (temporary)
Trigger: Timney 3#
Ammunition: Fiocchi Exacta Match 69 gr. .223

Average: 3.178+2.290+1.851+3.094+3.107+2.246 = 15.766/6 = 2.628. 0.837 MOA
Best Group: 1.851 = .589 MOA

300 Yard Target

Best Group

Rifle

Last edited:
Damn bro! Thats amazing! God, you just got to love the performance vs investment of rock river rifles... Time and time again they just continue to perform and kick ass in terms of accuracy for little money. Nice shooting and ill get you on the boards once i can get on my pc.

Once again nice work!

Well, it took almost 10 months, but my new RRA 20" varmint build is complete (almost). This is my second custom build from Tyler Black here in San Diego and the wait was
worth it. 20" .223/5.56 RRA Varmint barrel with a wylde chamber. 1:7 twist. JD Machine (also San Diego Co.) lower, upper receiver, and free float handguard. Timney 3# Trigger. Magpul PRS Stock.
I have a new Bushnell 6-24 X 50 Tactical Elite FFP w/G2 reticle on the way for some permanent TPS rings. Today I improvised for my second time at the range (first time at 300 yards)

Shot on 3.18.14
300 Yards

300 Yard Target

Best Group

Rifle

Thanks Elfster. This is a solid build and it seems to be more "forgiving"
than some of my other ARs. I haven't spent any time chasing fliers so far.
Lowering the scope height with rings and my new Bushnell
should make it a bit easier too.

got ya up on the boards.. sorry it took so long... ive been ultra busy lately. you're GTG! once again nice shooting!

Shot on 3.18.14
300 Yards

300 Yard Target

Best Group

Rifle

I shot this on Saturday 04/07/14 during a very light rain and with fog so I know for a fact I can do better than this but still not too bad. I'll give this another shot during better weather conditions.

Harris bipod front / rear sand bag
Rifle used = ROCK RIVER ARMS VARMINT
Barrel Length / Type = 20" SS BULL
Optics = moa/moa 4-16x50 vortex viper FFP
Mount = LARUE QD LT158

Shot with my reloads 60grn vmax with 23.8grns varget & cci primers

average = 3.112" (.9908moa)
best single = 1.757" (.5593moa)
IMG_8870_zpsc2a3c51f.jpg

rifle used 20" bull barrel rock river varmint:
IMG_8221_zpse578e531.jpg

Nice shooting and nice rifle. But, I agree. If you can shoot that well under those conditions then that RRA varmint has more to
deliver. My 1:7 twist RRA varmint likes those heavier 69 gr. and 77 gr. pills.

(300YARD), Semi-Auto, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

I got a chance to shoot the challenge with my 20" Noveske 5.56 Medium Varmint (1:8 twist) this evening. Temp was about 80 degrees, elevation about 4900ft at a range in northern AZ.

Couldn't match my previous best single group. Maybe it was the switch from a 20x scope to a 10x, or the switch from prone to the bench. Need to shoot it more.

Scope is a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 MOAR. Very happy with its ability to perform on paper at 300 yards.

Ammo was FGMM 69gr.

Groups were 2.791 + 2.143 + 2.141 + 2.776 + 2.686 + 4.289 = 16.826 / 6 = 2.804 AVG (0.893 MOA)

Best group was 2.141 (.682 MOA), which happened to be the one when I adjusted my windage the wrong direction.

Pics:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409803919.071475.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409804241.237245.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409803935.020524.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409803945.188137.jpg

Last edited: