• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 AR Buffer system?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I know the answer to this question is ultimately going to be "depends on your ammo and conditions", but im hoping to find a solid baseline to begin.
    Assembling the most run-of-the-mill 20" 308. Nothing unique, full mass BCG, Ballistic Advantage bbl, aero receivers, etc. I am planning on tuning via an adjustable GB and will be shooting suppressed 75% of the time.
    What buffer system is the most reliable "most of the time" - I dont care rifle lenght, A5, or carbine. All have good stock options. I dont want to get into specialty buffers, changing weights, etc.

Armalite ar10 RE kit is $75 and works. It’s the easy button.
    That's a good choice. It has a intermediate (A5) length RE, H3 3.25" carbine buffer and 308 rifle spring. Unfortunately, it's usually OOS. Another choice is the Kaw Valley Precision stock completion kit. It has the carbine length RE, so it comes with a 5.6oz 2.5" buffer and 308 carbine spring. $60.

Well if it's a 20" barrel you are more than likely going to have a rifle length system.
    Buy everything from Aero considering the BA barrel is from them.
    Get their rifle tube,spring and buffer and you're done.

Last edited:
    Reactions: BLEE and RUTGERS95
    Well if it's a 20" barrel you are going to have a rifle length system.
    Buy every from Aero considering the BA barrel is from them.
    Get their rifle tube,spring and buffer and you're done.
    barrel length doesnt impact buffer system. You could run either rifle or carbine buffer systems.

Reactions: rpoL98 and msgriff
    barrel length doesnt impact buffer system. You could run either rifle or carbine buffer systems.
    That was my first reaction when I read that, but maybe he's just stating gas length? I guess that makes it an irrelevant thing to point out though..

Reactions: rpoL98 and msgriff
    I threw a JP captured buffer in my rifle, and haven't looked back. If you're tuning via AGB, you shouldn't have to mess with changing weights, but you have the option to if you want to later on.

Buffer layout on an AR-10 is a little different than an AR-15 because the BCG travels farther, but the same rule applies that the barrel gas system is completely unrelated to the buffer length. The BCG goes as far as it goes; you don't need to match a Rifle gas system to a Rifle buffer, you can mix and match Rifle/Carbine/M4 all you want.

On an AR-10, because the BCG goes farther than an AR-15's buffer, you can either:
    - Run an AR-15/M4 buffer tube, with a special shortened buffer weight.
    - Run an AR-10/SR-25/M110 buffer tube with regular/common buffer weights.
    - Probably run a Rifle buffer with special rifle ar-10 buffers, but someone else should speak to this, I haven't done it.

I'd personally find an AR-10 buffer tube. It's about 3/4" longer than an M4 buffer tube. Try running an H buffer weight and grab the appropriate spring from Sprinco, or whatever comes with the kit if you buy your buffer assembly as a package. Start tuning with your gas turned all the way off and open the gas block as you go until the bolt will lock back on an empty magazine, then open the gas block 1-2 more clicks. That's how I'd do it, others will offer different advice.

I'd recommend replacing your 20" barrel with a 16", there's almost no velocity different on a .308 and that gun is going to get really dang long and unwieldy with a suppressor on it. Do what you can to keep an AR-10 small and light unless it is a 100% dedicated bench gun.

I know the answer to this question is ultimately going to be "depends on your ammo and conditions", but im hoping to find a solid baseline to begin.
    Assembling the most run-of-the-mill 20" 308. Nothing unique, full mass BCG, Ballistic Advantage bbl, aero receivers, etc. I am planning on tuning via an adjustable GB and will be shooting suppressed 75% of the time.
    What buffer system is the most reliable "most of the time" - I dont care rifle lenght, A5, or carbine. All have good stock options. I dont want to get into specialty buffers, changing weights, etc.
    just use the aero rifle length 308 buffer system. Not sure why you are making this difficult on yourself. there is no voodoo magic here

That was my first reaction when I read that, but maybe he's just stating gas length? I guess that makes it an irrelevant thing to point out though..
    he's assuming given the barrel length, I did as well. If the OP wanted opinions on carbine, should have said that. Most reliable will be a standard 308 rifle length set up here and from there, he's ordering different parts, brands, from different places.

If he wants carbine set up, just get the aero 308 carbine buffer tube and spring then buy the kak heavy 308 carbine buffer. works like a charm

Oh maybe, yea. My literal brain was just focused on the back half of the rifle 😆

I'd recommend replacing your 20" barrel with a 16", there's almost no velocity different on a .308 and that gun is going to get really dang long and unwieldy with a suppressor on it. Do what you can to keep an AR-10 small and light unless it is a 100% dedicated bench gun.
    Unless you consider 25-30 fps per inch "no velocity different", then this statement is bogus. Ill gladly take the additional 100-120fps the 20" offers over the 16"

100fps is very minimal. 4" more on the front of an AR-10 is dang unwieldy.
    Well thats a unique opinion, but youre free to have it.
    You may lose your mind when I tell you its a bull barrel on top of it. .936 GB junction.

Well thats a unique opinion, but youre free to have it.
    You may lose your mind when I tell you its a bull barrel on top of it. .936 GB junction.
    Usually someone experienced enough to know ballistics and other barrel details is also familiar with AR-10 receiver tubes so I was making an assumption you were newer to shooting and ballistics. If you know what you’re doing, fantastic. Sounds like a nice bench rest gun.

Odd coorelation to make.
    Not really man, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I put together that you're running a "very run of the mill .308", with a 20" barrel, and you're very concerned about 100fps. Usually people very concerned about 100fps run 6.5CM, or don't run very run of the mill guns if its for competition, or don't run Ballistic Advantage barrels, or don't ask questions about receiver extensions and buffer weights. The correllation did not lead me to think you were very experienced with AR-10's, hence my recommendation, as a lot of new guys get super into maxing out velocity at the expense of gun handling. Anywhoo, if you know what you're doing, sweet. If you don't know what you're doing, advice is free and worth as much as it's paid for.

Reactions: rpoL98
    he's assuming given the barrel length, I did as well. If the OP wanted opinions on carbine, should have said that. Most reliable will be a standard 308 rifle length set up here and from there, he's ordering different parts, brands, from different places.

If he wants carbine set up, just get the aero 308 carbine buffer tube and spring then buy the kak heavy 308 carbine buffer. works like a charm
    Pretty much what I was getting at.
    Why have a 20" barrel then put a short carbine stock on it unless he's short.

I have several builds with an A1 tube running heavy buffers spring and 10.5 oz buffer.
    They are amazingly easy guns to handle and uber reliable.

However, I also have several 16" barreled large frame gassers and as stated above you'll never notice those 4"

Last edited:
    Pretty much what I was getting at.
    Why have a 20" barrel then put a short carbine stock on it unless he's short.

I have several builds with an A1 tube running heavy buffers spring and 10.5 oz buffer.
    They are amazingly easy guns to handle and uber reliable.

However, I also have several 16" barreled large frame gassers and as stated above you'll never notice those 4"
    FWIW, the Magpul PRS Lite is a fantastic stock for the application and runs on a carbine tube. Hence my indifference for tube since there are great options for each.

Because a carbine stock can get long if needed, but a rifle stock can't get short.
    Well for some of us a short carbine stock doesn't get it, hence my reply about him being short.

OP, in the future I suggest you research more then spell out what you're trying to accomplish.
    There's bold differences between Rifle vs Carbine tube stocks and systems.

Always if at all possible buy all your parts from one manufacturer.
    Some of us have fucked off a lot time and money making stuff work.
    Then you argue with someone about 100FPS who's been there done that and is trying to help you.

Magpul PRS stock, carbine length tube, 4.7oz buffer and Sprinco Orange spring, work great in my Aero M5 in 6.5CM. I use Aero's fixed gas block and 22" barrel. You should be good to go with your adjustable gas block. Go with all Aero M5 components for less headache.

Reactions: Earnhardt
    Long carbine (aka A5) tube, standard H2 or H3 carbine buffer, high power 308 recoil spring.

LMT, KAC, Magpul would be where I start for the buffer tube before going to boutique manufacturers who make “A5” tubes inclusive of VLTOR.

Reactions: rpoL98
    Well for some of us a short carbine stock doesn't get it, hence my reply about him being short.

OP, in the future I suggest you research more then spell out what you're trying to accomplish.
    There's bold differences between Rifle vs Carbine tube stocks and systems.

Always if at all possible buy all your parts from one manufacturer.
    Some of us have fucked off a lot time and money making stuff work.
    Then you argue with someone about 100FPS who's been there done that and is trying to help you.
    There's really not a "bold difference". Great options either direction.
    And im not arguing about 100fps as I have "been there and done that" as well and I'm choosing the extra 100-120 fps. No argument or discussion to be had. If you wanna keep answering questions I didn't ask, then by all means go ahead, but you're wasting your time. I've already got my answer: A5 tube, H3 buffer, Armalite spring. Done.

• Love
    Reactions: mtrmn
    I have a Dark Storm industry AR 10 Pistol. I have a superlative arms bleed off gas block. I’ve tried 178 grain, 185 grain, 150 grain ammo. It either won’t feed, or it will jam. Do I need a bigger buffer? I can’t get more than two, or three rounds before a misfire. It’s been broken in properly. Someone please help

I have a Dark Storm industry AR 10 Pistol. I have a superlative arms bleed off gas block. I’ve tried 178 grain, 185 grain, 150 grain ammo. It either won’t feed, or it will jam. Do I need a bigger buffer? I can’t get more than two, or three rounds before a misfire. It’s been broken in properly. Someone please help
    It will help if you can provide some specifics of the firearm. To start, is it a complete factory firearm, did you buy it new/when was it bought, and is it a small frame .308?

There's really not a "bold difference". Great options either direction.
    And im not arguing about 100fps as I have "been there and done that" as well and I'm choosing the extra 100-120 fps. No argument or discussion to be had. If you wanna keep answering questions I didn't ask, then by all means go ahead, but you're wasting your time. I've already got my answer: A5 tube, H3 buffer, Armalite spring. Done.
    I like the forward control's 9position a5 tube. It is nice.

You nailed it - a5 and h3 buffer is about right.

I like my bcm compartmented sopmod stock. It gives room for my hand or a sock to support the butt. I can change the length to suit my clothing/gear and positional shooting.

A lot of guys just do not get that. Ohyeah the a5 tube and bcm stock actually extends longer than my magpul moe rifle stock on a2 tube.

I have rifle length JP Captured buffers with a single Tungsten weight in both my 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Winchester. Both have adjustable gas blocks. Smooth as silk and very quiet.
    texashaag