• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate gas block of choice | update on riflespeed

Alright so I went ahead and ordered the riflespeed .625 gas block; The shortest length knob since it's an fully exposed. Also grabbed a rebuild kit.

Ordered the gas block from Brownells since I know how fast/efficiently they ship; and 10% off coupons. They have a 17k round 5.56 giveaway as well for superbowl by the way.

It came out to $179 for the riflespeed gas block and 17.99 for the rebuild kit.
MSRP 199 for the gas block and 28.99 for rebuild kit.
Basically got a free riflespeed full rebuild kit.

Grabbed a few straight gas tubes from riflespeed along with the knurled knobs that screw into the dial on the gas block; Brownells had neither of these in stock.

Forward controls design has an enhanced 9 position A5 buffer tube I ordered with a Vltor 5.33oz A5H2 buffer weight, FCD reinforced buffer retainer, and Four Vltor rifle A5 springs. I'll test out the green sprinco at a later date. $149 shipped.

Choose FCD since they had stock of all the buffer components while everyone else is sold out of this or that.

Alright so I went ahead and ordered the riflespeed .625 gas block; The shortest length knob since it's an fully exposed. Also grabbed a rebuild kit.

Ordered the gas block from Brownells since I know how fast/efficiently they ship; and 10% off coupons. They have a 17k round 5.56 giveaway as well for superbowl by the way.

It came out to $179 for the riflespeed gas block and 17.99 for the rebuild kit.
MSRP 199 for the gas block and 28.99 for rebuild kit.
Basically got a free riflespeed full rebuild kit.

Grabbed a few straight gas tubes from riflespeed along with the knurled knobs that screw into the dial on the gas block; Brownells had neither of these in stock.

Forward controls design has an enhanced 9 position A5 buffer tube I ordered with a Vltor 5.33oz A5H2 buffer weight, FCD reinforced buffer retainer, and Four Vltor rifle A5 springs. I'll test out the green sprinco at a later date. $149 shipped.

Choose FCD since they had stock of all the buffer components while everyone else is sold out of this or that.

Without a doubt your wallet is lighter.

Most posts you get about gas blocks, buffers, and recoil springs come from users that have never compared them back to back. If you have an adjustable gas system, you don't need a heavy buffer. The A5 buffer and tube has the same stroke length as a 7" buffer and tube. Riflespeed gas blocks are needle valves just like SLR and SA. SSDD.

1000004141.jpg

Last edited:
Without a doubt your wallet is lighter.

Most posts you get about gas blocks, buffers, and recoil springs come from users that have never compared them back to back. If you have an adjustable gas system, you don't need a heavy buffer. The A5 buffer and tube has the same stroke length as a 7" buffer and tube. Riflespeed gas blocks are needle valves just like SLR and SA. SSDD.

View attachment 8346030

So basically dialing in your adjustable gas block in to relieve the extra pressure against the standard carbine buffer setup; would be the same as a fixed gas block using a a5 heavier buffer setup. So no need for both. Correct me if I miswrote that šŸ‘

More or less. And the A5 doesn't give you anything but added length and weight. Use a regular buffer and turn the gas down.

More or less. And the A5 doesn't give you anything but added length and weight. Use a regular buffer and turn the gas down.

That logic makes sense. Having the A5 setup on hand if I go non adjustable gas block; Then dial the action momentum down with the riflespeed gas block while using the regular buffer system to get the same result.

The weights shifting in the standard buffer during recoil, compared to the A5 would be so micro I doubt a humans sensitivity would be able to feel that difference.

Do you believe an important factor could be the rifle length springs return being less harsh than the return of the bolt on a standard spring, resulting in less wear?

Or is the entirety of this so close to the same it's completely irrelevant.

Last edited:
Do you believe an important factor could be the rifle length springs return being less harsh than the return of the bolt on a standard spring, resulting in less wear?
No. SpronCo Blue is more than adequate for your application.

Reactions: Bilb0
Something funny happend; Riflespeed Box from Brownells came today. I felt how light the box was an instant "oh no"; recieved this random $10 gas tube instead. šŸ¤£

20240214_211528.jpg

All fixed now with expedited shipping, I intentionally order from them due to their expedient shipping and excellent customer service but It's Valentine's not April fools haha

I'm the proud owner of one cute lil gas tube that I do not need. I guess I can use it as a $10 metal straw

Last edited:
Did you buy a straight gas tube to go with the rifle speed? If not, you need to.

One thing to look out for that was disappointing; the dial I received; does not have the holes for the quick lever kit. So I'll be calling riflespeed to see if they'll swap me out dials.

20240219_181817.jpg

20240219_182127.jpg
Screenshot_20240219_182225_Brave.jpg

Glad they were able to help. I bought the slightly longer one too just to fill the gap a little between it and my OTB.
These gas blocks are a little tight for alot of MLOK handguards unless you pick up the MI suppressor handguards or the Aero Enhanced MLOK.
Quads are typically 1.3 ID but you don't have to worry about MLOK screws running into things.

VMjOLQg.jpg

Glad they were able to help. I bought the slightly longer one too just to fill the gap a little between it and my OTB.
These gas blocks are a little tight for alot of MLOK handguards unless you pick up the MI suppressor handguards or the Aero Enhanced MLOK.
Quads are typically 1.3 ID but you don't have to worry about MLOK screws running into things.

VMjOLQg.jpg

Yeah if this Ris II was any longer I'd have to get it machined to fit the riflespeed.

Looks great; Do you have a pic of your rifle with the longer knob? Is this an 18" barrel you have?

I do but it's just something I threw together to see if I even like it. Yes, 18" barrel.

5yIKMnr.jpg

And since you were asking about various gas blocks, here is the YHM I had on it before the Riflespeed:

e1UGSZz.jpg

I have a 12" BCM quad rail on way so I'm going to try sinking it in the handguard with a 16" barrel.
I have the correct control knob for that already.

I do but it's just something I threw together to see if I even like it. Yes, 18" barrel.

5yIKMnr.jpg

And since you were asking about various gas blocks, here is the YHM I had on it before the Riflespeed:

e1UGSZz.jpg

I have a 12" BCM quad rail on way so I'm going to try sinking it in the handguard with a 16" barrel.
I have the correct control knob for that already.
Nice! I like how the OTB shroud of the flash hider makes everything blend together between the muzzle device and the gas block

Do you guys spend that much time adjusting gas?
I haven't used mine, someone else will have to answer that question.

What length are you trying to get? I saw a guy the other day selling a barely used 1.9" .750 for $150 just dm me for details

I haven't used mine, someone else will have to answer that question.

What length are you trying to get? I saw a guy the other day selling a barely used 1.9" .750 for $150 just dm me for details

What is driving your desire to have so much accessibility and adjustment to the gas system? You guys are paying hundreds of dollars for a feature that is one of the biggest complaints of other platforms.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
What is driving your desire to have so much accessibility and adjustment to the gas system? You guys are paying hundreds of dollars for a feature that is one of the biggest complaints of other platforms.

I would say @WindstormSCR 's #3 is down my alley, then it's also there for when I choose to run suppressed. Plus no tools and easy to disassemble. I'm a newb compared to most here so other members more experienced opinions would be more ideal.

1) unsuppressed, standard 20" rifle barrel or 14.5" carbine: ARMS #41BL all day
2) Suppressed and unsuppressed barrels of various lengths, various calibers: Superlative Bleed-off adjustable
3) unsuppressed but tuning for minimal felt recoil or maximum reliability for specific loads: Riflespeed.

I would say @WindstormSCR 's #3 is down my alley, then it's also there for when I choose to run suppressed. Plus no tools and easy to disassemble. I'm a newb compared to most here so other members more experienced opinions would be more ideal.
The blind is leading the blind. You'd be far better off with a single port sized correctly. You'll probably adjust that contraption once or twice and never touch it again.

The blind is leading the blind. You'd be far better off with a single port sized correctly. You'll probably adjust that contraption once or twice and never touch it again.
Hardly blind. Riflespeeds are best for a specific use case which is when you're wanting the best performance in multiple different situations, that all require different tuning of the recoil system. I do not and never have recommended them for Set and forget setups, which is where I would say a correctly sized port or a superlative bleed-off will give you the best result.

the problem with "just get a correctly sized port" is that most people aren't gunsmiths and don't have a deep understanding of the recoil system of an AR. That's why I often recommend the superlative bleed-off, since you can use a slightly oversized port (most manufacturers err towards larger) and then tune it to exactly what the system needs, anything else will just get bled off, giving the same result as a correctly sized port without needing as much knowledge or skill.

Do you guys spend that much time adjusting gas?
I have been very unlucky with a BRN-180 and then a PWS. I have gas-adjust PTSD lol.

With the 16ā€ BRN-180 (ahem, made by PWS) I was ENDLESSLY fucking around adjusting gas last cold MN winter with a goddamn bladed screwdriver that slipped and slipped and often required me to remove a hot suppressor to successfully adjust. I bet I shot $200 worth of ammo through that bastard trying to diagnose.

After many, many emails and calls with PWS and installing new parts and drilling out gas ports on their system (at their behest) I just gave up and returned it to to Brownells. Thank god for their awesome return policy.

I just started messing with my 16ā€ PWS upper from Brownells and the recoil is SUPER violent even on the suppressor setting. At least itā€™s easy to adjust with a bullet tip or similar. But Iā€™m throwing in the towel. Donā€™t have time for this shit. Back to Brownells it goes!

I think people with great experiences with both systems are shooting the ~11ā€ variants. PWS doesnā€™t seem to know wtf they are doing on the 16ā€ version. I just read a number of reviews specifically about the 16ā€ version and the common theme was heavier than expected recoil.

I must have a high back pressure can, but thatā€™s what a suppressor setting is for! Itā€™s not just for flow-through cans!

Which is long way of telling you I might want an easy to adjust gas system. I know, buy the right thing the first time etc, but sometime one learns the hard way because they listened to the crowd.

Just bought a Armalite comp rifle 18ā€ with an AGB new for $899. I had recommended it to my bro long ago and he liked it but didnā€™t shoot suppressed. I just tried it out at the range with my suppressors and like it a lot and had to order one for myself.

And its AGB uses a tiny 5/64ā€ hex. Sort of a pain, but first-world problems.

I am just doing some proactive research in case that AGB doesnā€™t work out (as in I need to adjust gas for 40gr vmax vs 77gr TMK Black hills. Not sure yet if Iā€™ll need to). If I donā€™t need to Iā€™ll let it carbon lock. But if I need to adjust goddamnit Iā€™m getting a AGB that is super easy to adjust even with gloves on.

Last edited:
For me, one setting for suppressed and one for not suppressed with an easy switch between the two.

I have been very unlucky with a BRN-180 and then a PWS. I have gas-adjust PTSD lol.

With the 16ā€ BRN-180 (ahem, made by PWS) I was ENDLESSLY fucking around adjusting gas last cold MN winter with a goddamn bladed screwdriver that slipped and slipped and often required me to remove a hot suppressor to successfully adjust. I bet I shot $200 worth of ammo through that bastard trying to diagnose.

After many, many emails and calls with PWS and installing new parts and drilling out gas ports on their system (at their behest) I just gave up and returned it to to Brownells. Thank god for their awesome return policy.

I just started messing with my 16ā€ PWS upper from Brownells and the recoil is SUPER violent even on the suppressor setting. At least itā€™s easy to adjust with a bullet tip or similar. But Iā€™m throwing in the towel. Donā€™t have time for this shit. Back to Brownells it goes!

I think people with great experiences with both systems are shooting the ~11ā€ variants. PWS doesnā€™t seem to know wtf they are doing on the 16ā€ version. I just read a number of reviews specifically about the 16ā€ version and the common theme was heavier than expected recoil.

I must have a high back pressure can, but thatā€™s what a suppressor setting is for! Itā€™s not just for flow-through cans!

Which is long way of telling you I might want an easy to adjust gas system. I know, buy the right thing the first time etc, but sometime one learns the hard way because they listened to the crowd.

Just bought a Armalite comp rifle 18ā€ with an AGB new for $899. I had recommended it to my bro long ago and he liked it but didnā€™t shoot suppressed. I just tried it out at the range with my suppressors and like it a lot and had to order one for myself.

And its AGB uses a tiny 5/64ā€ hex. Sort of a pain, but first-world problems.

I am just doing some proactive research in case that AGB doesnā€™t work out (as in I need to adjust gas for 40gr vmax vs 77gr TMK Black hills. Not sure yet if Iā€™ll need to). If I donā€™t need to Iā€™ll let it carbon lock. But if I need to adjust goddamnit Iā€™m getting a AGB that is super easy to adjust even with gloves on.

Your post suggests you need the right gas setting, not that you want to endlessly adjust the gas system. The Rifle Speed gas block is a needle valve, just like SLR and SA. All of the form factor, straight gas tube, and extended adjustment collars are so people that don't know any better can endlessly fiddle with a gas system that shouldn't be endlessly fiddled with.

Your post suggests you need the right gas setting, not that you want to endlessly adjust the gas system. The Rifle Speed gas block is a needle valve, just like SLR and SA. All of the form factor, straight gas tube, and extended adjustment collars are so people that don't know any better can endlessly fiddle with a gas system that shouldn't be endlessly fiddled with.
I agree with you. But you see for me itā€™s a usability issue, not a ā€œI want to adjust muh gas block for each round.ā€

Given my twisted history with this subject I might want to have the easiest to adjust system, even if I rarely touch it ever again.

However, I said, ā€œmight.ā€ Tonight my testing with my brothers Armalite 18ā€ comp gun was quite promising, and when my copy arrives Iā€™ll test that too. If the AGB holds its setting then I might just use that stupid tiny 5/64ā€ allen key a couple of times and then leave it in some dusty corner in my range bag, hopefully never to be used again in that capacity.

Mehā€¦ thatā€™s just your opinion and is worth what we all paid for it!šŸ˜‚

Iā€™ve built my rifles with set screw adjustable gas blocks, SA gas blocks, Guvnah gas blocks and RifleSpeed gas blocksā€¦

The RifleSpeed is by far my favorite. The SA is the best ā€œset it and forget itā€ for people who donā€™t like adjustability. The only downside to the RifleSpeed is the cost and they havenā€™t made one for barrels larger than .750ā€ at the gas journal.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
For anyone who does NEED an adjustable gas block (shooting suppressed and not suppressed or whatever other reason dictates it) I fail to see any argument that supports the alternative of carrying around a long Allen key or similar, and have to stick your hand near the muzzle.

This is a superior design in just about every way you look at it.

Iā€™ve seen guys staring down the muzzle at the range to get their superlative arms wrench in, and at a loud range, some of the gas block adjustments simply cannot be heard.

This has both a superior adjustment method and visual indicators.

The idea that a gas block that requires you to carry a tool with you is in any way better, is like the guys who argue how great a Harris bipod is, only after they add a pod loc, notch it to lock the legs forward at 45, and add whatever other add ons they need to make it comparable to most newer bipods in the first place.

For anyone who does NEED an adjustable gas block (shooting suppressed and not suppressed or whatever other reason dictates it) I fail to see any argument that supports the alternative of carrying around a long Allen key or similar, and have to stick your hand near the muzzle.

This is a superior design in just about every way you look at it.

Iā€™ve seen guys staring down the muzzle at the range to get their superlative arms wrench in, and at a loud range, some of the gas block adjustments simply cannot be heard.

This has both a superior adjustment method and visual indicators.

The idea that a gas block that requires you to carry a tool with you is in any way better, is like the guys who argue how great a Harris bipod is, only after they add a pod loc, notch it to lock the legs forward at 45, and add whatever other add ons they need to make it comparable to most newer bipods in the first place.

In the context of this thread, the gas blocks are at the end of the handguards, there would be no long wrenches. Further, it's strange you're suddenly opposed to an adjustment due to the proximity of the muzzle while simultaneously OK with mounting and unmounting a silencer between strings of fire. The general public is stupid, they point guns at themselves without adjustable gas systems. Next time you're at the range look at the ceiling and count the holes.

How much gas adjusting are the proponents of the RS gas block doing on a routine basis? I asked the question earlier and the only response was from the OP and basically said he don't know. There's a recent video about the RS from the dude sometimes affiliated with TFB, his use case appears to be he is shooting random 308Win ammo all the time for video purposes.

How much gas adjusting are the proponents of the RS gas block doing on a routine basis? I asked the question earlier and the only response was from the OP and basically said he don't know. There's a recent video about the RS from the dude sometimes affiliated with TFB, his use case appears to be he is shooting random 308Win ammo all the time for video purposes.
the Ruger SFAR really is the poster child example of where something like the Riflespeed shines best, because of the oversized factory gas port and the pickiness of the recoil system.

Iā€™ve only ever done one build where a riflespeed block made sense, and that was a 450 bushmaster build where I knew I would be using a wide range of different hand loadings, suppressed with a very high backpressure can and non-suppressed, and didnā€™t want the heavier loadings to beat the crap out of the gun.

Reactions: Ernest 5.56
I have a few different gas blocks on a few different rifles. Once built and taken out to test the adjustable gas blocks all seem to be a nightmare. Once figure out the size of the adjuster screw, then try to figure out the set screw that locks it way down inside out of sight that will likely round off, is the allen screw metric or SAE? is it way down in there so need to find the extended torx key that it came with..... I had a JP on an AR10 i build its a goofy block, had it on 3 or 4 different and either cant get a handguard to fit or always an issue, its oblong and not symentrical, the AR10 had a Faxon match grade barrel 308, (they suck dont buy faxon) I notched the hand guard so I could access the allen adjuster screw.. then had all sorts of problems with the POS barrel and sent it back... got a different one Black Hole Weaponry barrel.... and realized faxon had the gas block mounted a bit farther back and not a standard spot... so I couldnt re-notch my handgaurd to access the screw with the new barrel.. I bought a Riflespeed gas block... I love it.. no headaches, no hunting for special tools, no reaching inside down in, no hidden micro set screw to round off.... Took to range to test.... couple clicks and bam... golden. Well worth the few extra bucks.

For me, the only thing the A5 makes sense for is on large frame AR-10s so you can use standard carbine size buffers, instead of the tiny little LR-308/AP4 DPMS carbine buffers that donā€™t allow much mass.

I found the little mini/PDW RETs for the AR-15 with the tiny buffers and stiff springs to work surprisingly-well, especially on 6.5 Grendel shorties. The first one I tried felt like this is how itā€™s supposed to be. Super-smooth, cyclic rate was perfect, ejection was right in the window, action behaved wonderfully.

@AleksanderSuave just recieved an email same day and after hours at that. I used [email protected]

Phew headache avoided,

Looks like the total length is 1.9" with the dial on #12. Just a tiny bit shorter with the dial turned to #1

View attachment 8356335
New to the forum looks like you have a DD MK12 hand guard? I went with a MFR XL 15.0 to cover the riflesspeed gas block on my DD Mk12 top of the gas block to the bottom inside of the rail gives you 0.123ā€ of clearance will post pics still trying to figure out this forum stuff Iā€™m not computer savvy.

For me, the only thing the A5 makes sense for is on large frame AR-10s so you can use standard carbine size buffers, instead of the tiny little LR-308/AP4 DPMS carbine buffers that donā€™t allow much mass.

I found the little mini/PDW RETs for the AR-15 with the tiny buffers and stiff springs to work surprisingly-well, especially on 6.5 Grendel shorties. The first one I tried felt like this is how itā€™s supposed to be. Super-smooth, cyclic rate was perfect, ejection was right in the window, action behaved wonderfully.
Pictures for those that don't know what you're talking about.

1000003904.jpg
1000004140.jpg

1000003905.jpg
1000003906.jpg

1000003833.jpg

Pics just liked having the gas block covered hated that the block wasnā€™t covered on the MK12

Thanks for posting that handguard setup. I agree about the exposure.
I'm confused are those two different setups? The gas block in the photos look place in two different locations.

Last edited:
That is super cool. What setup is that specifically? I'm interested especially if y'all are saying it works so well.

I have a Centurion CM4 Complete 11.5 CHF FBI w/ FSB coming in today.

The buffer and tube are from KAK. The buffer is 3.3oz and uses a heavy flat wire spring. LWRC makes the UCIW which is similar and what the Magpul SL-M was designed for. All standard AR15 BCG's have the same stroke length, regardless of buffer and buffer tube length. You asked about adjustable gas blocks and buffers, you're balancing one with the other. You don't need heavy buffers when you balance the gas with the buffer weight and spring rate. The gun will shoot better, within reason, with less reciprocating mass.

The rifle in the pictures is an 11.5" mid length gas with the KAK 3.3oz mini buffer. The rifle functions with light .223 and M193 at -10F using a .063" gas port and Turbo K silencer. I worked up the configuration using gas ports from .052" up to .070". I also compared the barrel port configuration with H1 and H2 with SprinCo Blue and Red springs and Vltor A5 H. I've done the same setup methodology in a variety of other barrel lengths and cartridges.

The buffer and tube are from KAK. The buffer is 3.3oz and uses a heavy flat wire spring. LWRC makes the UCIW which is similar and what the Magpul SL-M was designed for. All standard AR15 BCG's have the same stroke length, regardless of buffer and buffer tube length. You asked about adjustable gas blocks and buffers, you're balancing one with the other. You don't need heavy buffers when you balance the gas with the buffer weight and spring rate. The gun will shoot better, within reason, with less reciprocating mass.

The rifle in the pictures is an 11.5" mid length gas with the KAK 3.3oz mini buffer. The rifle functions with light .223 and M193 at -10F using a .063" gas port and Turbo K silencer. I worked up the configuration using gas ports from .052" up to .070". I also compared the barrel port configuration with H1 and H2 with SprinCo Blue and Red springs and Vltor A5 H. I've done the same setup methodology in a variety of other barrel lengths and cartridges.
I understand what your saying; Great Info! Thanks for sharing. Im definitely going to check this out.