• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Barrel - Advantages/Disadvantages of Tightbore

Sig Marine

Sergeant - USMC 1968-1970
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
So Cal
After drooling over the post/pictures by Mr. Swaggert and his collection of Gradous rifles, I realized that even he has a .308. Since I sold mine, a factory gun, to fund a 6.5mm build, I guess I should consider another .308 in my future because of its versatility and off-the-shelf ammunition available (for hunting), even though I reload. It would be used primarily for range work, to 1000 yards or so, and some hunting.

So, when buying a quality .308 barrel, many barrel makers offer 2 options; tightbore or standard bore. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Thanks in advance...Sig Marine

Well, I just found the answer my own question: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/102380-tighter-bore-mean-faster-fps.html

Last edited:
Tight Bore Development Original Intent: Tight bore barrels were originally developed to shoot slightly undersized bullets used during early PALMA matches. The tight bore provided better gas seal and accuracy with those slightly undersized Radway Arsenal projectiles.

Tight Bore Current Application: You can get higher velocities. The belief is there is somekind of "Free Lunch" in the higher velocity. The reality is the velocity comes from higher pressure. That's the advantage.

If you're set on shooting a single bullet, take careful diameter measurements of a sample. IF they tend on the smaller side, then a tightbore might be worthwhile. Otherwise it's mostly in your head.

That helps. I've checked my bullets and they all measure (at least these batches) .308 or a RCH over. I usually use Sierra 175 Match Kings or 155 Lapua Scenars so I see no need to go tight bore.

Thank you for your input and explanation.

Tight Bore Development Original Intent: Tight bore barrels were originally developed to shoot slightly undersized bullets used during early PALMA matches. The tight bore provided better gas seal and accuracy with those slightly undersized Radway Arsenal projectiles.

Tight Bore Current Application: You can get higher velocities. The belief is there is somekind of "Free Lunch" in the higher velocity. The reality is the velocity comes from higher pressure. That's the advantage.

If you're set on shooting a single bullet, take careful diameter measurements of a sample. IF they tend on the smaller side, then a tightbore might be worthwhile. Otherwise it's mostly in your head.

This is correct. From what I can recall, the Europeans produced bullets that were .307 in diameter, which called for a slightly tighter bore.