• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Bolt Guns. To win a military comp.

MSS

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Colorado
I love the OBR for Gas gun .308 applications for open class military shooting (Night Applications). I want to run a bolt gun next year in .308 in the USASOC comp. but Im torn.
Right now Im looking at an AICS AX Chassis on a Rem. 700 long action, with plenty of railspace for Night Equipment, and the Desert Tactical SRS with 22" barrel. Bull Pup, with plenty of Railspace... limited round count in the mag though.
So I want to know what you guys think, my only requirements are:
Sub MOA
.308 for M118LR 175gr.
10 Round Mag Cap
Rail space for 20X glass and universal night sight and lasers
ruggedized for running and gunning

Any thoughts and info would be great.
Thanks

Re: .308 Bolt Guns. To win a military comp.

The SRS is going to give you better balance and a shorter rifle (especially with your UNS and PEQ); better potential precision; slightly better mirage mitigation; and in-line recoil. A 26-inch barrel with a can will still be shorter than an M24 in an AX without (and you won't have to fold the stock). No problem with a Schmidt or Nightforce and a PVS-24, 27, 29. Might be a tad short for a FLIR HISS.

It gives up 7-shot capacity to the AI magazine's 10.

A 24 in an AX is still a 24 in an AX -- the same operating characteristics in an updated stock.

sound like you're the one needing to give advice!
wink.gif

I don't know diddily squat about precision rifles compared to 99% of the folks on this board. I just wanted to make that smart-ass comment...

Welcome to the Hide'! May your nights be long whilst you surf this forum of wonder and amazement!

I love the DTA would be a great comp gun if I could get work to clear us to shoot usasoc it's definately something I want to do someday. I have a GAP HRT which is also a killer platform and allows the mounting of laser and Pvs-24 or 26

I didn't like the ergonomics of my DTA, or anything else about the rifle for that matter. I would have a 700 or a variant over the DTA any day. The new AX chassis isn't my favorite either, but I would definitely go with it out of the 2 choices you listed.

All good points, my only fear is rail space on the shorter config on the SRS with a PVS-26/27. I ran a 16" barrel in the comp this year and was muzzle blasting my UNS. A can will mitigate this but with a the barrel length it has me wondering till I get my hands on it.
I was thinking about a custom Barrel/Action combo in the AX chassis, not necessarily the 24. Plus the 10 rounds is nice. especially on a stress shoot.
What say you.

I can put a 26 on my DTA and take pics end of January, have you shot a plain AI 2.0 chassis? Put a badger nv mount on it that's another option, I'm not the biggest fan of the ax either

I got the chassis free, so Im looking at a good platform to start, but not the biggest fan either. really prefer fixed stock, no need to collapse it, but want to see if anyone built one from the ground up and see how it ran.
2.0 is more my style, know what they run?

I think around a grand and the badger NVG adapter is like 350 that's retail

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulamike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the chassis free, so Im looking at a good platform to start, but not the biggest fan either. really prefer fixed stock, no need to collapse it, but want to see if anyone built one from the ground up and see how it ran.
2.0 is more my style, know what they run? </div></div>

I think you should just send me the chassis then.

What about a tradition fiberglass stock with a Badger Ordinace night vision mount?

Was thinking a Mcmillan, but to be honest I beat the hell out of guns and fiberglass in my hands mine as well be a glass menagerie.

Damn dude of you break a modern fiberglass stock you are hardcore. Manners has put a semi truck in theirs

Look at
Mccree
XLR
Cadex

More options for ya

I was going to suggest a TRG-22 with 20" barrel, which is what I'm running in future comps without NV. Not sure how that TRG stock would hold up to your demands (or abuse)?

Not a big abuser of long guns, but not a end user of any fiberglass stocks for military applications, not against it, just never used it. I'll look into it. Just sold a Mcrees stock and liked the quality of build.
Have to check out the TRG.

Why not a 20" AI AX in .308?

Fills your needs and reliability will not be lacking. A 20" folder, while not light, is a compact package if you need to sling it across your back.