• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 ELD Match 168gr vs Sierra Matchking 168gr data help

mfloski

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2017
I am relatively new to loading, I have a .308 and to get started and to be easy, I duplicated the 168gr federal gold medal match ammo with the 168gr Sierra MK bullets, which is 42.8gr of IMR 4064. Not the best bullet, probably could push it harder, maybe a better powder, but it shoots very accurately so I haven’t messed with it yet. However, i am thinking of going to the ELD Match 168gr. I have the Hornady 9th edition Manual which doesn’t have the ELD or ELDX bullets in it. It of course has the 168gr AMAX, but the 9th edition doesn’t even list IMR 4064 powder (it does for 155gr and 175gr, but not for 165-8gr bullets!?). This may be a dumb question, but if both bullets are 168gr, can I use the same powder and volume safely? Anyone have a 10th edition and want to offer any insight as to what it says for the 168gr ELDM? Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: troach6441
pretty much, maybe drop it back a couple tens, then give it a go.

my 308 loved the 175 SMK's, just saying.

pretty much, maybe drop it back a couple tens, then give it a go.

my 308 loved the 175 SMK's, just saying.

Thanks, mine loves the 168 SMKs, never tried the 175s, but wanted to stay smaller to get a bit more velocity.....and the ELDMs have a bit nicer BC so I thought I would give them a shot.

I think you'll like the ELD-M line better as well; depending on what distance you're looking at, you might want to move up to the 178gr - they're excellent out to 1000+ and you can use the data from the 178gr BTHP Match that's readily available. That's a good bullet, too, BTW.

What makes the 178gr better for long rang? I would think getting a little smaller would get a little more velocity which would be better for long distance....what am I misssing?

What I've been told is that the heavier bullet has more stability over a longer range trajectory as long as you get enough velocity to keep it from getting close to going subsonic. I'm getting around 2850 fps with 44.3gr of Varget using the 178 BTHP in my 24" AI barrel is it's shoots very well to over 1000+ yards.

You're not getting 2850 FPS out of a 24" barrel with 44.3grs of Varget.

My bad. Mind fart! I was thinking of my 147ELD numbers. Just double checked my figures - 2730 fps on the .308, consistent on multiple occasions.

It appears that Varget is the go to powder for .308 with 175-178gr bullets, yes?

There are certainly other options but Varget is a very good choice and pretty temp insensitive. It's finally readily available again, too.

Here's is my 168 ELD-M OCW testing out of my 18" Wilson gasser. 100yds all shot over my LabRadar

OCW

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/fQy0gqZ.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Seating Depth Testing

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/AWMDqWf.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Here's is my 168 ELD-M OCW testing out of my 18" Wilson gasser. 100yds all shot over my LabRadar

OCW

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/fQy0gqZ.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Seating Depth Testing

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/AWMDqWf.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Parom can you please fix the link. Very interested to look at your results. Thanks.

Parom can you please fix the link. Very interested to look at your results. Thanks.

Addresses are still good, you just have to copy paste them in the browser to see them but Ive embedded them again in his quoted post below for easy viewing

OCW
fQy0gqZ.jpg

Seating Depth Testing
AWMDqWf.jpg

Last edited: