• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 308 Obermeyer Question

bigdawgcje

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2010
Northwest North Carolina
What has been the experience of Hide Members using these barrels? I was starting a build of a FT/R build for my daughter, using a Remmy 700 action. After I cut an inch off of both ends of the barrel, a 10 twist MTU, I couldn't get a pilot to fit until I tried a 0.296. I verified this with pin gauges. Neither a 0.2965 nor a 297 would fit. I know Boots land and groove configuration is different than other, but this seems extreme. Boots site list this as a 0.298 bore.

I am concerned about pressure. In talkin to Greg at SPR, he felt it was extreme as well.

I would appreciate any wisdom that other members have regarding this. For the record, this was the only 10 twist MTU I could find.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 7mm/284 barrel from the guy and it don't shoot bad but it ain't setting any records either. It fouls terrible and a quick look with my borescope reveals a way rougher than I ever expected bore finish. The size is dead on though, not under at all. I also think yours is too tight. If I could have looked at this barrel with my scope before I ordered it I would have not bought it and probably dismissed getting another one unless I saw firsthand one of his barrels throwing some nice groups. I just don't think after waiting all that time and owning one they are any better than any other custom barrel maker. The best looking bores I have ever seen are pretty consistently in a Pac-Nor. I realize they are buttoned and Obermeyer's are cut but almost three years and it don't shoot no better than any other barrel??? Not anymore.

Thanks Brother. I was pressed for time, and this was all I could get. I committed to a Krieger last night from Chooter here on the hid. Wish I could have got my hands on it last week. I will probably finish the build as started.

If it doesn't shoot, I will screw the Krieger on.....

I know you've cut it already, but if you haven't chambered it yet and decide to sell it, send me a PM.

The Obie we put on my buddys 284 is lights-fucking-out. I have a 6.5mm on the way.

I have a 300SAUM with an Oby 308 barrel and it is lucky to shoot 3/4MOA with a few bullet and powder combos, I know its not me or the smith. I expected better, I have a Bartlien and Krieger that shoot in the .3s easily

Stop buying them so I can have more.group from the last 300wm I built with one.
any3umys.jpg

And yes that is five shots at 100yds with thunderbeast 338 can on it.

I was on the verge of buying an Obermeyer. I was concerned about the tightness of the bore: pressures, fouling, etc.. It sounds like it's a "hit or miss" proposition. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

There's several good barrel makers.

I have more Obermeyers than anything else (also have Bartlein, Krieger, Brux, PacNor, HSP, and others), and have another Oby on order that should be delivered tomorrow.

The barrel is the single most important component, but skill is needed to put a rifle together correctly................respect the 'smith, Amen.

I have a 300SAUM with an Oby 308 barrel and it is lucky to shoot 3/4MOA with a few bullet and powder combos, I know its not me or the smith. I expected better, I have a Bartlien and Krieger that shoot in the .3s easily

SO I have to update and apologize for this post. I threw a box of Berger Juggernauts on my last order just to give this thing a shot with something different. Well I have to say this thing shoots lights out with the Bergers. I was trying out a couple of loads and every one shot under .25 moa. Needless to say, I was impressed. It was 3 5-shot groups in a row, no break in between to let barrel cool.

SO I have to update and apologize for this post. I threw a box of Berger Juggernauts on my last order just to give this thing a shot with something different. Well I have to say this thing shoots lights out with the Bergers. I was trying out a couple of loads and every one shot under .25 moa. Needless to say, I was impressed. It was 3 5-shot groups in a row, no break in between to let barrel cool.

I commend you for following up on your original statement, thank you. I'm glad to see you were about to get the accuracy Oby's are capable of.

t

I commend you for following up on your original statement, thank you. I'm glad to see you were about to get the accuracy Oby's are capable of.

t

I like to give credit where it is due and I have never had a barrel that I couldn't get to shoot with 5 different bullets but I'm glad I finally found a bullet it likes.

Heres a shitty picture of the rifle. Like I said I knew it wasn't me or the smith, but the barrel didn't like the 5 other bullets I tried.
Stiller Predator Action Mag BF
Oby Barrel 25" with FTE Brake .308 Bore .298 Lands
Stiller 20 moa base
Timney Trigger
Manners T4A w/ Mini Chassis

20130306_125703_HDR.jpg

Here are the groups I speak of. The small squares are half inch. Shot off Caldwell Bipod and el cheapo rear bag

20130819_224842.jpg