• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

308 powder options.

jasonZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
independence, kansas 67301
Yes it's been covered, but not exactly what I was looking for. I found several posts for questions about what the best powder for the 308 is and lots of opinions. Primarily Varget, but some others as well.

I've used Varget with pretty good results and have settled on a fairly decent load of 45grs behind a 175smk with prepped/chamfered brass. I'm shooting a 10fp 24" barrel with 1-10 twist rate. I shoot at 100yds commonly, because I don't have to drive that far to get to a range. I'm mostly going to be inside of 600yds.

I'm currently experimenting with Accurate 2520 powder and dabbled alittle in IMR 4895 I had lying around. It would be nice to have a non-sensitive powder, but not imparative. I've gotten some decent results from the 2520 out of the bolt gun.

What else is everybody using with good results that are loading similar bullets to what I am using. A minimum of 168gr bullet is what I'm targeting. The only heavier bullet that I've tried is a 180gr Nosler ballistic tip, which I did not like the result of! I'm tempted to try a heavier bullet and different brands, I just hate the thought of buying 100 or so and then only using 10-20 for testing and not liking my results.

Any thoughts? If possible and it's not a super secret, could you please post your powder charge amount as well. I know I'll have to play with it. Flame away!
Thanks, Jason

Re: 308 powder options.

44.0 grains of IMR 4064 behind a 175g SMK. Reliable, consistent and accurate load. Gets 2665 fps out of my 20" barrel.

I've gone to Varget and IMR 4064 primarily for all my .308 loads. I've tried TAC, 4895, and a few others, and none could really match the accuracy I've gotten with 4064 and Varget. My main bullet is a Hornady 178gr AMAX, although I am trying some 168 SMKs and 155gr AMAXs in my rifles.

One load I have gotten very good results with out of a 20" Remington is 44.5gr Varget behind a 178gr AMAX. These were all shot with FGMM 1x fired brass and either CCI BR or FGMM primers.

700targets.jpg

700targets1.jpg

700targets3.jpg

nice gents. I should of added that I'm using winchester large rifle primers at the moment and will have to change to something else or find someone who sells em. I've been loading long for some, OAL, wise, but it's been hit and miss as to where the rifle likes em. Thanks, Jason

47grs RE15, NOT Varget and 155AMAXs @300yds
2011-11-14-14486.jpg

43grs RE15, again, NOT Varget with 168AMAXs @200yds.
2011-10-26-76657.jpg

47.5grs 2000MR under 178HPBTs @200yds.
2011-10-26-79226.jpg

Varget sucks, btw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should of added that I'm using winchester large rifle primers at the moment and will have to change to something else or find someone who sells em.</div></div>
I've used Federal GMM and CCI BR-2 primers. Haven't noticed any difference in velocity or accuracy. I'd say any quality name-brand primer should be GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nimzoblanca</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should of added that I'm using winchester large rifle primers at the moment and will have to change to something else or find someone who sells em.</div></div>
I've used Federal GMM and CCI BR-2 primers. Haven't noticed any difference in velocity or accuracy. I'd say any quality name-brand primer should be GTG. </div></div>

After I develop a load, I then try different primers in that load. Big difference in many test!

In my PSS I was not happy with results with Varget. I did have great results with IMR 4895 (168 gr), RL15 (168 gr), Benchmark(168 gr), and PP-2000MR (175 gr).

I prefer 45grs Varget with a 168gr Berger VLD.. its hot, but works well for me.

my load has become 45g of varget with a 175smk. I have been getting an average 2725fps out of a 26" barrel..

Well I did some load tests with the 2520 and target, which I was already using with 168's. I was using 175smk, but did some 168smk as well. I shot a group of .442" 5shots, with the 175 and 45gr target and the 2520 didn't perform real well. I don't recall exactly but I think it was .9" 4shot group, as 1 round wouldn't chamber. I didn't bump the shoulder enough I guess. It measured longer then the rest...my bad. I also did some 180gr nosler sptitzer, but it didn't perform well at all.....2+" groups! This was at 100yds as well, as I don't have any place close to go farther unless I can make arrangements with a guy to get on his property and its a .5hr drive ta boot. Anyhow I'm thinking I'll leave the 2520 alone and get some other powders to try now. I'll see if I can post a pic of the groups and hopefully I did the match correctly. I took the overall group measurement and with a digital caliper and then deducted .308" from the overall group. I think that's right, but I'll have to read that again. anyhow the best was like .752" overall I think.

What Velocity are you getting with your 45g Varget/175 SMK load? And what brass are you using?
I am shooting the same rifle as you and have decided on 44.2g varget 175 SMK CCI BR2. Winchester cases after laddering and chronoing some loads.
I get 2630-2660 FPS with this load which is (according to many sources) a good Velocity for this combo. 100 yd Groups have been just under sub MOA (.7 average) That's good enough for me. however, I don't shoot for groups. In fact, I hate it. I have the most fun shooting UKD while milling targets. Then confirming with laser and then "dialing in" the shot further.
FWIW, Southwest ammo which has a good reputation (as well as working well for me), Is loaded to 2650 FPS. I believe they use H4895 around 42.7g. Might wanna try that load? (work up to it though).
If Varget works "pretty well" for you, why not stay with it and play with other variables ie. neck tension and seating depth?

Velocities...who knows I have no chrony! Actually it would be nice if somebody with a Savage 10fp could tell me about what they are getting with the same load! I use win, rem, fed, and lc brass. I haven't sorted it out to separate brass piles or whatever. I can usually shot a really good 3shot group, but for some reason that 4th and 5th shot screws me one way or another...as far as groups go. I've played with the 4895, but for whatever reason, I didn't write it down in the book...so I'm guessing the results were not good for what I did, but most likely I just messed up and didn't write it down. Pretty sure that I'm gonna end up playing with more variables on the 45gr varget and 175smk's. The last load I did to 2.810", so I'll probably start extending it out alittle and see how that works. I wish I had a place close that I could regularly go and shoot 300+yds, but I don't so it's 100 most of the time. Thanks, Jason

Relaoding... So many variables! I would imagine even two 24" 10fcp would yield different results.
I found my Fav load at 44.2g varget/175 SMK with mine. (worked up from 42.5g) Bear in mind this is with unfired Win. cases. My once fired FGMM brass needs a different charge altogether. As time goes by...I recon I will need to adjust that load as well as the cases "develop".
The F1 chrony can be had for under $100 on the net, I would recommend it so you have hard data to compare diferent loads to.

Yeah I have some, but not this particular load. Was using a friends, but it cropped out so its a crap shoot right now. I was running about 2670 avg on another load, but this one I have no idea of yet. It groups nicely, but I ain't shot it at distance yet so who knows. Plus I've really just started with 175smk as I was using Amax 168 moly coated before. My choice of bullet really, but my ultimate goal is to try to match Remington premier match ammo because this is what my department uses and I'd like to not have to not change zero and such all the time. The whole reason I began these tests really. The current load, although its 175 and not 168 as Remington uses, is spot on poi at 100 with the 168 premier. It really should only need to hold similar at 100 as the dope will have to be put in per shot. So I think if I can get a velocity, build a drop chart, and confirm then I may have done it. All that depends on how it shoots at distance though. However, I don't really plan to stop testing at all, since there's always that little bit more that might come out of it. Plus its trigger time as well! I'm thinking I'll try the RL and IMR 4064 and maybe the 2000MR, plus put some more time in on the 4895 as well. I should be getting a chrono to use here shortly, if all goes as intended.

I shoot a Remmy 5r (24" factory barrel). Tried Varget, 2200, and 4895. This is my hunting rifle so my load is for a hunting round. I use 165 gr. SMR in Hornady match brass with Win LR primers loaded with 42.5 grs. of Reloader 15. I'm getting 2585 muzzle velocity (I know it's slow) but is absolutely accurate. It will shoot 3/8 moa. I got there using the OCW method. Good luck finding your sweetspot load.

FWIW, on my 24" Remington 700 SPS I get the following velocities with 168 Berger VLD's and Varget:

44.4gr: avg 2650fps
44.6gr: avg 2670fps
45gr: avg 2710fps

I've chrono'd some factory ammo in the same gun:

Federal 150gr Factory: 2800fps avg
Fiocchi 150gr FMJ Factory: 2875fps avg
Winchester 150gr Power Point: 2770fps avg

168 Amax 44gr RE15 WLR, or 44gr Varget CCI 200 both .5-.6" @100yds, haven't tried all primers, both loads varied significantly with primer choice. TAC shot MOA with this bullet somewhere around 43.2gr w WLR.
Haven't done enough development with the 178HPBT, so far Varget shows promise.

Win. brass, Br2 primer 42 grs. IMR 8208 XBR , 175 gr. berger , 2.890 COAL is .5 noa or better all day long.

I use IMR 4064. 42.5 grains behind a 168 grain Nosler CC. Not sure of the speed, but when I do my job the groups and in the 1/2 MOA range.

I have been told this set up is a clone for FGMM. But, who knows for sure.

I think 2.890 would not even chamber up in my rifle! If memory serves me correctly about 2.850 is in the lands, but I could be wrong. I don't have my notes with me at the moment. I'm still on the fence about what powders to try and thinking I'm gonna get a chrono for Christmas or sometime soon!

I'm still working on my load development, but currently my best groups (0.5 MOA) with PSS (1 in 12 twist) are with 43.0g RL-15 and 178 A-Max using fire-formed 7.62 surplus brass neck-sized with Lee Deluxe. This is a compressed load when COL is 2.800, but I've been running them out to about 2.920 with the deep stock throat of the PSS.

IMAG0180.jpg

I thought this was settled science?

Primer plus brass plus 168 grain bullet plus 46 grains H-Varget at 2.800-2.810

43 grains in a 175 grain load.

But it sure is fun to play around with other powders.

Plain ol' 175SMK, 43.5 RL15, LC Match brass and Fed 210M primer loaded to 2.81. FL resized every time, works like a charm in my OBR.