• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Practical Rifle Build

10generation

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
California
Need some Hide Advice on a build I’m starting:

Purpose: Practical Rifle in .308 – will be used for hunting, range work (nothing serious) and to have a .308 as an all purpose rifle. Realistically, most shooting will be under 200yds. Like to be accurate to 300-400 if needed. Would likely take Randy Cain's class once I have it.

Action: Model 70
Barrel: Bartlein, Krieger, Brux
Twist – 1:10 – will be shooting GMM 168/175 or Barnes TSX in 168
Standard bottom metal, not DBM
Scoped, might add Iron Sights

Questions:

Barrel Contour - #2, #3, #4, #5?
Length – thinking 20”, 18” better?
LOP – my LOP for most of my rifles is 13.75, thinking 13.25 for this one – goal is to make it more handy and quick.
Stock –like the Manners EH4 – thinking the compact size might be a great fit. Better option for this build?
Scope - thinking either my zeiss conquest 3-9x40 or NXS 2.5-10x42? Something better?

Weight - thinking I would want standard fill for the stock and not go too small on barrel contour - keep handy with length, not by trying to cut weight - thoughts?

What do you guys think?

A Bartlien 1:10 at about 18 inches should work nicely. I'ld opt for the #4 in a Manners t3 just to keep everything simple yet versatile. I don't know how cutting down the LOP will affect you but shorter seems to be more maneuverable, if the shorter LOP doesn't make you feel "crowded up". If funds allow the 2.5-10 nightforce would be nice but a Leupold 2.5-8-36 will save you about 6oz and a few dollars. I'ld put some irons on just because the idea is practical and if the scope goes then you still have a sighting system. As far as weight I'ld pick all my parts first then just live with the results, no free lunches in the rifle world but this rig shouldn't be to heavy at 18 inches,a light scope and no DBM.

I'm building a similar rifle on M700 action. I went with a 20" Hart with a Remington contour .750" at the muzzle. I have several customs with HS heavy contour tactical stocks, so I picked up a HS mountain rifle stock. It will likely require quite a bit of inletting to fit, but it should make a very handy and accurate hunting/pack around rifle. I plan on using the exact same bullets you chose. . I'm going with a PTG 308 win match reamer with .050" leade.

Yea, I really don't know how to think about chambering it. Think more than a few have chambered specifically for GMM in 168 or 175, but the barnes TSX likes to jump, so don't know how to cut a chamber that works for both - assuming just going with a standard .308 chamber is my best plan.

010514 018.JPG
Its not a M70 action, but I was wanting the same thing you are, mine is a 700 action but with a #5 pac nor 1 in 9 3 groove. I had the H.S. precision PSS stock on it at first and I bought the sporter instead. After a good amount of sanding I got the barrel floated and the way I want it.

23.5 in, and not sure on the weight. If I had to guess probably 6# but im not for sure on that.

Just built my buddy a .308 on a trued remmy 700sa. I whittled on the bolt A LOT and had chad spiral flute the bolt. Fitted a #4 benchmark 3 groove at 18.5". Its bedded in a b&c mountain Ti II stock. It weighs 5.6# bare and about 6.5# all up with a sightron sii 3-9 in dead nutz mounts. It balances like a fine shotgun and is a joy to shoot for just about any application! Just about perfect in my mind!!!

Love tac ops, but can't justify for this kind of rifle. I had thought a #4 would be too big, was thinking more like #3, interesting that others are pointing to a 4.

Anyone have any thoughts on the manners EH4? Was thinking if I went mcmillan would go HTG or maybe a bridges (more of a hunting stock).

I am not sure the shorter LOP will work well. It might put you too close to the scope and action.

But I am biased on LOP, having shot a LOT of sporting clays. I find a long (but proper) LOP to be no less handy.

I wouldn't even consider the short LOP! if you have ever gotten behind a short LOP rifle you know how AWKWARD it is. I had the #4 contour on hand but were I buying I would have gone with a #3 and saved a little more weight. you are going to add a LOT of unnecessary weight going with and HTG etc. I would use a lightweight hunter from manners or something with EDGE technology from McMillan. if you aren't tied up in the prestige race and want to save a few hundred bones, the B&C TI is a great lightweight stock for hunting applications.

LOP: don't go shorter than what you're used to! It'll mess you up.
Barrel contour: #3 #4. You'll loose about 3/4 of a pound between a 3 and 4.
Barrel length: 20 - if no brake, 18 - with
NF 2.5-10x42! Everyone is loving this scope
Can't go wrong with anything Manners!

LOP: don't go shorter than what you're used to! It'll mess you up.
Barrel contour: #3 #4. You'll loose about 3/4 of a pound between a 3 and 4.
Barrel length: 20 - if no brake, 18 - with
NF 2.5-10x42! Everyone is loving this scope
Can't go wrong with anything Manners!

don't think there is near .75 pound difference between the #3 ands #4 contour barrels at the same length. I would prefer the #3 though.

Any other ideas on the stock - want something simple, but that has comb to get my head alined behind a scope - been thinking about Manners EH3, McMillan HTG, what else?